Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals switching Onterio McCalebb to Receiver
(07-07-2015, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's likely the speed factor that got him into playing DB, in college.

I've always been under the belief that the main reason guys switch from WR to DB is because the hands aren't the best.  Do you think there is any truth to that common myth?

He didn't play DB in college.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 10:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He didn't play DB in college.

Ok, thanks.  I was unaware.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Is he still eligible for the P.S.? I know there is a limit to how many years a guy can be on it, just not sure the limit or how many he has spent on ours. Perhaps the new developmental league would be the best place for him. Kinda hope that takes off, be nice to have a real minor leagues, like every other major sport has.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Mc Calebb was a RB at Auburn and in high school............just too small to play RB in the NFL

With no WR experience the Bengals switched him to DB/Returner hoping his speed could get him on the field.
Reply/Quote
Mc Calebb was a RB at Auburn and in high school............just too small to play RB in the NFL

With no WR experience the Bengals switched him to DB/Returner hoping his speed could get him on the field.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 05:17 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He was electric with the ball in his hands in college. I think he could easily take over the Sanz role but I also think this is a mid-summer fluff piece that I have heard/read before. Looking forward to seeing him get a few chances in pre-season but at the end of the day I agree with the young buck. (Eox)

Yep!!  I'm not thinking he is the next hidden gem, but he does have some talent and I would like to see what he can do.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 03:25 PM)milksheikh Wrote: What are your guys thoughts on Bengals attempting to try switching McCalebb from DB to a receiver? Do you think he could make the team and would he help the team?

I personally think that it's nice that he gets to go back to his old position, also that the Bengals are trying some things out and seeing if they work out for the team. Let's just hope it pans out as Hobson was talking about adding another "receiver" to the mix.

I believe it will come down to his return skills and if he shows he can learn routes, run them decently and catches the ball well. He'll need to show improvement as training camp goes forward.

Tate was there for his return skills, which weren't all that much and, even with several injured WRs he still contributed very little from the WR position. McCalebb is fast, very fast. Could spell the end for Tate.

Reply/Quote
I just wish they'd put him back to field punts and/or return kickoffs. I just want to see what he can do in that area. We could keep 7 WRs or he could win the #6 spot if he's good enough as a returner.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 11:19 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I just wish they'd put him back to field punts and/or return kickoffs.  I just want to see what he can do in that area.  We could keep 7 WRs or he could win the #6 spot if he's good enough as a returner.

I feel the same way. But I doubt he gets the chance to do so. His time and potential to get on the field here is limited. I have no doubt he'll catch on somewhere else and possibly make a splash as a returner at some point. 
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 09:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  

I don't know why they ever tried him at CB.  You can be 5'10" and play CB, but you have to play cb in college.

Fixed.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 11:02 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Fixed.

Neither of the two best CBs in Bengal history played DB in college.

So if you want to say something silly say it yourself instead of editing my comments.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 11:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither of the two best CBs in Bengal history played DB in college.

So if you want to say something silly say it yourself instead of editing my comments.

I think he was saying that if you want to be successful as an undersized CB, you should at least have some experience at the position.

Not sure if the data backs that up or not, but just sayin'. I think I tend to agree that a 5'10", 170 lb CB won't pan out very well in today's NFL.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 08:44 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Not sure if the data backs that up or not, but just sayin'. I think I tend to agree that a 5'10", 170 lb CB won't pan out very well in today's NFL.

We agree on this.  There are guys 5'10" playing CB, but I bet they all weigh at least 185.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 09:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We agree on this.  There are guys 5'10" playing CB, but I bet they all weigh at least 185.

Trying to think of decent or better CBs that are small to check out their height/weight.

Brent Grimes is 5'10", 185
Brandon Boykin is 5'10", 185
Tramaine Brock is 5'10", 197
Brandon Flowers is 5'9", 187
Vontae Davis is 5'11", 207
Orlando Scandrick is 5'10", 195
Sam Shields is 5'11", 184
Lardarius Webb is 5'10", 182
Chris Harris Jr. is 5'10", 199
D.J. Hayden is 5'11", 190

If you happen to have any on the top of your head, let me know. The closest guy is Webb at his listed height/weight. I really wish there was a database that listed guys by height so I could see that instead of randomly searching for CBs LOL
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 09:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We agree on this.  There are guys 5'10" playing CB, but I bet they all weigh at least 185.

I agree with you guys for the most part, but there's been some successful skinny CB's.

DRC was listed at 6'2" 183lbs for much of his career. DreKirk is 6'1" 186 lbs. For that height, that's skinny.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 01:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree with you guys for the most part, but there's been some successful skinny CB's.

DRC was listed at 6'2" 183lbs for much of his career. DreKirk is 6'1" 186 lbs. For that height, that's skinny.

Those guys are 3-4 inches taller than the 5'10" guys though.

Most successful NFL CBs are either tall and skinny, tall and thick, or shorter but a little bulky.
Reply/Quote