Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals tender 5 players
(03-09-2019, 05:39 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Hart's $3M deal is good.  Serviceable utility OL guys are very valuable.

Redmond is a nasty, mean SOB. Even in the huddle he looks like a caged dog. He needs to get his temper more focused and mature a bit. Got pulled out of a game last year for penalties as it seemed he was about to go postal on the field.

We need a couple of guys like that on this Team. So I'm all for that.

Agreed. While Redmond drove me crazy last year with his false starts, that can be coached out of his game. What he brings to the table that can't be coached, is he is strong, mean and nasty. He also now has a year as a starter under his belt. I'm interested to see what the new coaches can do with him, Pollack only had a year to un-Alexander him.
On the upside, I would tend to think that every offensive lineman and linebacker is putting in extra work this off season, as they have to know they are all pretty much on the chopping block, and if they want to continue to play in the NFL, they need to vastly improve (with the exception of Boling)
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:11 PM)pally Wrote: Alex is 24 years old and will be playing with his 3rd OL coach and 3rd OC in his 3-year career after being undrafted.   The upside is there.  Keep him at least through training camp.  It doesn't hurt to see how this new staff works with him and how he responds

Great points about Redmond, i hope the light comes on.

(03-09-2019, 05:39 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Hart's $3M deal is good. Serviceable utility OL guys are very valuable.

Redmond is a nasty, mean SOB. Even in the huddle he looks like a caged dog. He needs to get his temper more focused and mature a bit. Got pulled out of a game last year for penalties as it seemed he was about to go postal on the field.

We need a couple of guys like that on this Team. So I'm all for that.

I do like the nasty in my Lineman, this makes me feel better about Redmond. Young, strong, big and nasty. Just has to get the penalties out of the game like you said and mature a bit.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great points about Redmond, i hope the light comes on.

I do like the nasty in my Lineman
, this makes me feel better about Redmond. Young, strong, big and nasty. Just has to get the penalties out of the game like you said and mature a bit.

Maybe they could bring Ritchie Incognito in, as an extra OL assistant?  He could help coach 'em up on the finer points of causing harm to your opponent, without getting caught.  You know, like creatively falling on a defender with all your bodyweight on one, well placed knee to a sensitive spot, etc.  And he could definitely help get our hazing game up to par.  Our OL has looked way too comfortable out there, for years.   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 05:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe they could bring Ritchie Incognito in, as an extra OL assistant?  He could help coach 'em up on the finer points of causing harm to your opponent, without getting caught.  You know, like creatively falling on a defender with all your bodyweight on one, well placed knee to a sensitive spot, etc.  And he could definitely help get our hazing game up to par.  Our OL has looked way too comfortable out there, for years.   Ninja

LMAO!!!

Good stuff Sunset and Incognito does have a history with our HC and Line coach.... ninja...
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 05:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great points about Redmond, i hope the light comes on.

I do like the nasty in my Lineman, this makes me feel better about Redmond. Young, strong, big and nasty. Just has to get the penalties out of the game like you said and mature a bit.

Both players are just awful
Reply/Quote
mean tenacious and nasty doesnt always equate to a olineman that can be successful on the field.
give me the lineman that is smart and disciplined.
you already have to be tough resilant mean in some aspects to play the position.
Dave Laphem Kevin Zeitler and Max Montoya played OG exceptionally well on intelligence and strength.
Redmond needs to be replaced. hes a drive killer. film doesnt lie.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know what round tender we put on Redmond and what it costs?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 08:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd rather have a solid starter for $5-6 million than a backup for $3 million.

Until that $5.5 mil starter gets hurt, and in steps Andre Smith: Part *checks notes* 4. 

It's not a big enough tender to prohibit them from signing someone else, and he's a decent enough player that when something goes wrong he can step in and at least be competent. Sure, we'd all love to see the Bengals go out and sign some good, starting level talent on the OL. But it isn't likely to happen; even if it was likely this move still doesn't prevent it. Having a solid backup that can play three spots for a mid-level salary isn't the worst thing in the world. 
Reply/Quote
I like these tenders but only as back up, I expect us still to sign/draft guys to come straight into the starting lineup
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 08:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd rather have a solid starter for $5-6 million than a backup for $3 million.

So youd go with no back ups for O-line on the roster?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 02:52 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Redmond is trash, not even a good backup let alone starter. Others should be drafted or signed and he should be tossed

More proof that no one hates Bengals more than Bengal fans.  Reminds me of when people claimed Bodine would not even be a back up on other teams yet he ended up a starter for Buffalo.

I am not eager to see Redmond start again for us, but I also know that he is probably a decent value as a $3.1 million dollar back up.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does anyone know what round tender we put on Redmond and what it costs?

Good question.  A third round tender is only $2 million, but apparently a team can make a tender offer that does not ensure any compensation but just allows the team to match any other offer?

Anyone understand more about this?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: More proof that no one hates Bengals more than Bengal fans.  Reminds me of when people claimed Bodine would not even be a back up on other teams yet he ended up a starter for Buffalo.

I am not eager to see Redmond start again for us, but I also know that he is probably a decent value as a $3.1 million dollar back up.

I'm pretty sure that Hopkins was the only one of the 5 that got the 2nd round tender, which comes with the 3.095M salary offer.  Every article I read states that the other 4 players were tendered, but no mention of the specific round.

Quote:2019 RFA Tenders

Type
AmountFirst Round
$4,407,000
Second Round
$3,095,000
Original Round
$2,025,000
Taking account the info that I found on Over the Cap, I'm much more comfortable with Redmond being a $2M backup, although that is about 3X the vet minimum for a player with 2 seasons accrued. ($645K)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

I tend to agree. I'd rather throw that towards a better starter and draft a backup replacement on the cheap.

It's not a huge deal though. We can still go sign someone. I hope. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good question.  A third round tender is only $2 million, but apparently a team can make a tender offer that does not ensure any compensation but just allows the team to match any other offer?

The 2m original round tender only applies to restricted free agents. Redmund is an exclusive rights free agent. With 2 years of accrued time, his number should be around 645k.

Of the 5 players tendered, only Hopkins was a RFA. The others are all ERFA's.
Reply/Quote
A second round tender for a player who couldnt win a starting job on this Oline is a dumb move.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 02:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A second round tender for a player who couldnt win a starting job on this Oline is a dumb move.

The problem is that if you don't tender Trey, you either need to find a replacement in FA or draft a new backup.  It will likely cost more than $3 mil to get an equivalent C in FA and you don't want to to be forced to spend a pick on the position.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 07:54 PM)N_B Wrote: Both players are just awful

As starters yeah, but as backups they are decent, especially Hopkins as a backup Center.

Also Redmond is young and can get better.

(03-09-2019, 09:39 PM)impactplaya Wrote: mean tenacious and nasty doesnt always equate to a olineman that can be successful on the field.
give me the lineman that is smart and disciplined.
you already have to be tough resilant mean in some aspects to play the position.
Dave Laphem Kevin Zeitler and Max Montoya played OG exceptionally well on intelligence and strength.
Redmond needs to be replaced. hes a drive killer. film doesnt lie.

Of course i like smart and disiplined more than just tenacious and nasty and being a penalty machine.

But it would be nice to have all of that in one player especially at Guard.

Redmond has something that Pollack and now Turner like evidently and you have to work with what you got.

(03-10-2019, 02:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: The problem is that if you don't tender Trey, you either need to find a replacement in FA or draft a new backup.  It will likely cost more than $3 mil to get an equivalent C in FA and you don't want to to be forced to spend a pick on the position.

True, either way it costs something and Hopkins proved he is a decent backup Center last year which we haven't even had around here in a long damn time. The complaining going on here about decent backups being too expensive is laughable.
Reply/Quote
Redmond is the type of dude Belicheat cuts on day four of training camp for being dumb ass hell and not knowing what a snap count is.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2019, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good question.  A third round tender is only $2 million, but apparently a team can make a tender offer that does not ensure any compensation but just allows the team to match any other offer?

Yeah, seems this is something we should know before we spout off about how good/bad the move is.

I have 0 problem with Redmond (or the others tendered) being on the squad in a back up role depending on cost.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote