Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals to interview current Lions DC
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
No no no
Reply/Quote
A quick look shows he’s not that good. Perhaps someone with better google skills could provide more insight.

But from what I’m seeing, no thanks.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
That would be the worst possible outside hire for DC.

Jack Del Rio better be high on our list
Reply/Quote
So anybody know much about the guy? Detroit fans don't seem to hate him.

His defense is ranked 27th in YPG, 21st in Points per game, 27th in pass defense, and 18th in rushing defense.

Not exactly numbers that make you think this guy can be an upgrade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He D couldn't stop Gio. Good luck with Bell.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
As of last year he was actually a hot name regarding a HC but even he questioned the Rooney rule system. Thing is he drew some interest. He actually had the first scheduled interrier for the Lions HC job, but once Cooter or another gets the job maybe he's hoping to catch on with a defense that could put Austin back into being a hot name again. This could be the connection, though I'm surprised Del Rio hasn't been contacted. Maybe Cincy is interested as a fallback or leverage in another coordinator. Suh helped him a lot, maybe he could be a win/win for Geno and Cincy even by default.
Reply/Quote
We need a guy like Zim who can give our Defense an Image. In this article http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/03/paul-guenther-replacements-bengals-consider-defensive-coordinator/ they had him listed as the first option and note that he is a disciplinarian. He also has coached in superbowls before so lets not jump to conclusions that he's bad. Stats also don't necessarily mean anything if he didn't have the talent in Detroit that he would have here.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
An interview doesn't necessarily mean the job is his.  Hopefully they interview multiple people. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'll be the one to say it...

Rooney rule requires not just head coaches but also OC & DC candidates have at least one minority interview. It will be DelRio if he wants it.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:33 PM)Trademark Wrote:

So....MB would have to pay out the rest of his contract right? He's too cheap to fire a coach here with a year left so why would he make this move for a guy with horrible numbers. Makes no sense so he will probably be our new DC.
Reply/Quote
His D was one of the best in the NFL just a couple years ago. He appears to do well when he has talent. I don't know enough about him to hate the possibility of signing him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Don't know much about him, but doesn't mean a lot. And interview is an interview.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:36 AM)TKUHL Wrote: So....MB would have to pay out the rest of his contract right? He's too cheap to fire a coach here with a year left so why would he make this move for a guy with horrible numbers. Makes no sense so he will probably be our new DC.

if he is so cheap, how is Marvin being paid close to top ten in coaching ?? MB actually pays coaches pretty well the problem is he keeps his staffs and scouts probably below the average number of coaches...
Reply/Quote
Idk why I'm optimistic about the Bengals all the sudden but I seen this and thought Who? Detroit lions suck,then I seen he had no talent really in defense and he talked pretty smart when I looked him up on youtube,talked about turnovers ,about making sure you definitely intercept a tipped ball ,and go for strips.
Reply/Quote
Too lazy to look but wonder which DC has done the best against Pittsburgh. That should be the selling point
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:31 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I'll be the one to say it...

Rooney rule requires not just head coaches but also OC & DC candidates have at least one minority interview. It will be DelRio if he wants it.

This is the one of the few times he can ask; is this because I'm black?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:51 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: if he is so cheap, how is Marvin being paid close to top ten in coaching ?? MB actually pays coaches pretty well the problem is he keeps his staffs and scouts probably below the average number of coaches...

CLOSE to top 10, sure not bad but a 15 year coach should be making top 5. But that's not what I was getting at. MB has fired what 1 position coach while under contract. He's not known for letting coaches walk with a year or two left. So why buy out this guy when there are several good coaches currently not under contract.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:31 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I'll be the one to say it...

Interviewing Jack Del Rio also satisfies the Rooney Rule: He’s Latino.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:23 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Interviewing Jack Del Rio also satisfies the Rooney Rule:  He’s Latino.

Not really - Father Spanish descent and an Italian-American mother - Born in America. 
Reply/Quote