Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals to interview current Lions DC
No come on Marvin! Make the right choice with Del Rio
Reply/Quote
Austin started as defensive coordinator in Detroit in 2014...in 2014 they finished 2nd in the league..after that, they never made it to the top 15. Sounds like a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: His D was one of the best in the NFL just a couple years ago. He appears to do well when he has talent. I don't know enough about him to hate the possibility of signing him.

Why do you hate on everyone’s posts? You’re so negative.

This DC choice sucks ass and you find a way to put a flower on top of a grave?

Jack del rio might work. Or maybe some new comer.....the lions defense has sucked ass for years.

It’s hilarious the bengals are looking at this guy.

Next thing we hear is Marvin Lewis son is promoted. Comical
Reply/Quote
Don't hate it don't love it. We'll see what comes of it if hired.

For those wanting Del Rio... I want him here as badly as any of you. You just gotta remember, if he can find a HC gig somewhere, he's going to take that over a DC job in Cincinnati. I'm sure Marvin has at least teased the idea by now. Del Rio will weigh his options and kick tires before demoting himself as he should. Just wait and see.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 08:08 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: Why do you hate on everyone’s posts? You’re so negative.

This DC choice sucks ass and you find a way to put a flower on top of a grave?

Jack del rio might work. Or maybe some new comer.....the lions defense has sucked ass for years.

It’s hilarious the bengals are looking at this guy.

Next thing we hear is Marvin Lewis son is promoted. Comical

You seem pretty negative yourself.

With that said, there are better options out there, but we don't even know much about this guy or the state of the Lions defense with what he had to work with. I'm not going to jump ship if we sign him.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:13 AM)Okeana Wrote: We need a guy like Zim who can give our Defense an Image. In this article http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/03/paul-guenther-replacements-bengals-consider-defensive-coordinator/ they had him listed as the first option and note that he is a disciplinarian. He also has coached in superbowls before so lets not jump to conclusions that he's bad. Stats also don't necessarily mean anything if he didn't have the talent in Detroit that he would have here.

The biggest thing our defense lacks is discipline.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Everyone does remember the year before Zimmer came here, his defense in Atlanta was one of the worst in the NFL right? Also, his last year in Dallas he was simply middle of the pack statistically. I'm not saying Austin is a super coach, but it's misleading to just say the guy hasn't been good lately so he doesn't know how to coach. I mean heck for everyone wanting Del Rio, the Raiders defense has been what has held them back the last couple years. In fact since Del Rio has been the head coach of the Raiders they have been ranked 20th or worse in yards and points allowed every season.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:23 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Interviewing Jack Del Rio also satisfies the Rooney Rule:  He’s Latino.

(01-05-2018, 02:55 AM)bengals73 Wrote: Not really - Father Spanish descent and an Italian-American mother - Born in America.
This would depend on what's on his birth certificate.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:43 AM)PDub80 Wrote: This would depend on what's on his birth certificate.

He was born in California.  Besides Latinos are not from Spain even if his dad was a Spaniard. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: An interview doesn't necessarily mean the job is his.  Hopefully they interview multiple people. 

Mike's not going to waste the money flying him here etc if he doesn't plan on hiring him. For any other team yes. This team. His interview means there is a 99% chance he's hired.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 12:13 AM)Okeana Wrote: We need a guy like Zim who can give our Defense an Image.    In this article http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/03/paul-guenther-replacements-bengals-consider-defensive-coordinator/   they had him listed as the first option and note that he is a disciplinarian.  He also has coached in superbowls before so lets not jump to conclusions that he's bad.  Stats also don't necessarily mean anything if he didn't have the talent in Detroit that he would have here.

I could support Austin as a candidate for DC.  Disciplinarian personality is most definitely a plus, as we have seen how relaxed things have become under the laid back style of Paul Guenther.  Does anyone agree with me that the playoff meltdown versus Pittsburgh would not have occurred under Zimmer's watch?

The rest of the list has some interesting names.  Obviously Del Rio and Spagnoula are the well known personalities.  However, if there is any truth to the notion of transitioning to a 3-4 scheme, I would think that Vic Fangio would move to the top of the list.  His defenses in SF were some serious wrecking crews.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If we get Teryl Austin everyone will ***** and complain until the season starts and sees he's a great DC. I believe his scheme benefits the players we have as well. We have the talent on this defense where he may have us as a top 5-10 unit.
Reply/Quote
My buddy is a lions fan and he was raving about how lucky we are to be interviewing him. He said he’s a great coach and can do big things if he has a good defense.
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:17 AM)bengals73 Wrote: He was born in California.  Besides Latinos are not from Spain even if his dad was a Spaniard. 

If it states something other than Caucasian on his bc, then he is that. Pre 1977, which is where he would fall, was a lot less specific on this....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://naphsis-web.sharepoint.com/about/Documents/Race_and_Ethnicity.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjC6uLb_sDYAhWLSd8KHf2fAL0QFggkMAA&usg=AOvVaw2gwoga8pyzto_4RqnONJeL

I'll save some reading for anyone so inclined, but he could be listed generally as "Hispanic", which would cover the Rooney rule per NFL guidelines.

PS: I find it hilarious and sad that I, as a Bengals super fan, have sunk to debating and researching not what's actually on Jack Del F'ing Rio's birth certificate (pathetic in it's own right) but if, in some capacity, that eliminates my own theory on a run of the mill DC from the Lions is being interviewed to just fullfil the Rooney Rule before actually HIRING Del Rio, who hasn't actually even interviewed yet. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could support Austin as a candidate for DC.  Disciplinarian personality is most definitely a plus, as we have seen how relaxed things have become under the laid back style of Paul Guenther.  Does anyone agree with me that the playoff meltdown versus Pittsburgh would not have occurred under Zimmer's watch?

The rest of the list has some interesting names.  Obviously Del Rio and Spagnoula are the well known personalities.  However, if there is any truth to the notion of transitioning to a 3-4 scheme, I would think that Vic Fangio would move to the top of the list.  His defenses in SF were some serious wrecking crews.
I have no doubt. Zimmer is a no nonsense type of coach. Marvin lets these clowns do what they do and they're never held accountable. PG was a push over and I pray he never is associated with Cincinnati ever again.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:12 AM)Takedown Wrote: I have no doubt. Zimmer is a no nonsense type of coach. Marvin lets these clowns do what they do and they're never held accountable. PG was a push over and I pray he never is associated with Cincinnati ever again.

yes but you forget that according to Marvin in his Presser that Soldiers remain calm in battle and that allows them to succeed.  Because throwing temper tantrums on the field and killing someone in battle are even remotely the same thing.  

Marvin reminds me of the Bible verse Rev 3:16 "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth." 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:12 AM)Takedown Wrote: I have no doubt. Zimmer is a no nonsense type of coach. Marvin lets these clowns do what they do and they're never held accountable. PG was a push over and I pray he never is associated with Cincinnati ever again.

Yep, all PG had to do was steer the freakin' car.  The personal fouls and accusations of dirty play started early in the season, and culminated in an epic meltdown on National TV.  Hell, under a hard ass like Mike Z, that unit could have carried this team to the SB, even with Andy's broken thumb.

But, that's all water under the bridge.  Looking ahead, I think most of us agree that a stricter mentality is what is needed for this defense.  plenty of talent, just not anyone to hold them accountable for mistakes and demand excellence from them.

If Austin is their choice, I hope that it happens fast.  That way Austin can get a jump on who he wants to assemble his staff of assistants from.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:47 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So anybody know much about the guy? Detroit fans don't seem to hate him.

His defense is ranked 27th in YPG, 21st in Points per game, 27th in pass defense, and 18th in rushing defense.

Not exactly numbers that make you think this guy can be an upgrade.

As I mentioned to jj22, I'm not exactly sporting wood about it, but I do wonder if he may be n a better spot with our D. Having better defensive player's to work with may improve his chance of success.

Did Detroit have anybody decent on D Bob? Serious question, as I'm currently too lazy to look it up. :)

(01-04-2018, 11:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: He D couldn't stop Gio. Good luck with Bell.

Gio is a pro. A real professional, and is much better than he is given credit for imho. That said, I'm not thrilled either. Bell can be stopped and is when certain defense's grow a pair.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:48 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: As I mentioned to jj22, I'm not exactly sporting wood about it, but I do wonder if he may be n a better spot with our D. Having better defensive player's to work with may improve his chance of success.

Did Detroit have anybody decent on D Bob? Serious question, as I'm currently too lazy to look it up. :)

Gio is a pro. A real professional, and is much better than he is given credit for imho. That said, I'm not thrilled either. Bell can be stopped and is when certain defense's grow a pair.

Before we destroy what his defense finished at look at the players he was working with a lot of rookies and had a ton of turnovers....(something we don't get a lot of around here anymore)
I think it was 3rd in turnovers this year

His D finished 3rd his first year then they started losing star power like Suh
Reply/Quote

Zimmers defenses here during his time and playoff games wasn't exactly stellar.
Reply/Quote