Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals to interview former Cowboys RB coach
(01-30-2021, 08:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First, the post I responded  referenced he had little experience over coaches just hired or looking at and that is just false.. As for his resume.. I disagree, he has had success with teams as a coach and has keep jobs for extended period of times..  really weak coaches don;t last this long or move up the ladder as he did.. so objectively I disagree. 

...... Lou??  ....Is that you???
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2021, 08:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First, the post I responded  referenced he had little experience over coaches just hired or looking at and that is just false.. As for his resume.. I disagree, he has had success with teams as a coach and has keep jobs for extended period of times..  really weak coaches don;t last this long or move up the ladder as he did.. so objectively I disagree. 

1. I really don't care how you slice it. The guy had zero experience as a coordinator despite being in coaching for 20+ years. If you think his resume was better than some other guys, then those other guys must be doo-doo.

2. Coaching for a long time is a (really) low bar for success. Zampese coached for a long time. That does not mean it was a solid move to hire him as OC...and frankly, Zampese was a guru at his position when you compare him to Lou.

A guy as experienced (as a position coach) as Lou should have some years you can point to where you say "wow, his secondary was dominant that year" or some long track record of producing star players...if you're looking to promote.

He didn't...and that's why no one had promoted him until the desperate Bengals came along. The guy wasn't good as a position coach. Being around a long time means nothing, as there are lots of mediocre coaches floating around for years on end.

We're seeing the results of an underwhelming hire, as his defense is setting records that Terryl Austin would be ashamed of. Is this really the hill you want to die on? That Lou is a good coach or a good hire? Really?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait wait wait...

Stud running back

Running behind

5 Stud OL guys = Success in the run game?

Well crap.

Sounds pretty hokey to me too. All this time I thought they should have an old man like me running behind 5 other old men like me would be instant success..  Then again I've never been an NFL coach. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Is it possible we're waiting for someone on a Super Bowl team? Otherwise, this is an unusually long wait with very little word.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is it possible we're waiting for someone on a Super Bowl team? Otherwise, this is an unusually long wait with very little word.

They may have come to terms, but are waiting to see how his pancreatic cancer progresses. If they got it all, he may be our coach, if they didn't, I doubt he'll be coaching anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They may have come to terms, but are waiting to see how his pancreatic cancer progresses. If they got it all, he may be our coach, if they didn't, I doubt he'll be coaching anywhere.

Thanks for the info. I missed where he was dealing with cancer. Prayers out to him and his family.
Reply/Quote
So is something going to happen here or....??
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It hasn't been the person reported as interviewing recently. So I say nah...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
our former RB coach is now an eagle...

Wonder if Hue wants RB spot again
Reply/Quote
Is RB coach the only spot still open on the coaching staff??

I was really hopeful there would be more changes.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They may have come to terms, but are waiting to see how his pancreatic cancer progresses. If they got it all, he may be our coach, if they didn't, I doubt he'll be coaching anywhere.

That actually makes a lot of sense.  It would explain why no announcement made either way, as well as no news about interviewing other candidates.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Ugggghhhhh.  Didn't know this.   Pancreatic Cancer is a bear.  My experience is that it's always terminal.  Hope I'm wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 06:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is RB coach the only spot still open on the coaching staff??

I was really hopeful there would be more changes.

WR coach might be open. We saw a lot of reporters state that Walters was promoted to the main spot, but the team never announced it. Hobby and Pollack are on the website with their new jobs, but Walters is still listed as the assistant WR coach.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 11:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Ugggghhhhh.  Didn't know this.   Pancreatic Cancer is a bear.  My experience is that it's always terminal.  Hope I'm wrong. 

Yeah, one of my closest friends is dying from it right now. If I remember right, I believe they reported it was in his bile ducts attached to the pancreas, so maybe and hopefully they got it early enough. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 09:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, one of my closest friends is dying from it right now. If I remember right, I believe they reported it was in his bile ducts attached to the pancreas, so maybe and hopefully they got it early enough. 

My cousin's wife passed away last spring from it.  And everyone I've known who had it passed away from it.

Hope you're right and they got it early enough.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 01:39 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: WR coach might be open. We saw a lot of reporters state that Walters was promoted to the main spot, but the team never announced it. Hobby and Pollack are on the website with their new jobs, but Walters is still listed as the assistant WR coach.

Thinking we still need an assistant DL coach too. 

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 11:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Ugggghhhhh.  Didn't know this.   Pancreatic Cancer is a bear.  My experience is that it's always terminal.  Hope I'm wrong. 

(02-09-2021, 09:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, one of my closest friends is dying from it right now. If I remember right, I believe they reported it was in his bile ducts attached to the pancreas, so maybe and hopefully they got it early enough. 

(02-09-2021, 04:04 PM)3wt Wrote: My cousin's wife passed away last spring from it.  And everyone I've known who had it passed away from it.

Hope you're right and they got it early enough.

Since the pancreas is SUCH a small organ (IIRC, it is literally like 4-5 inches long and less than an inch in girth/diameter), if the cells there are cancerous, there's a very small chance of survival, since you can't cut it out (doing so would damage the organ and the surrounding area, irreparably) and you have to undergo rigourous chemotherapy and/or radiation, to try and reduce the mass as much as possible; it's a messy and difficult ordeal and by the time it gets big enough to detect, it typically has spread to other organs already.

If only the cancerous cells were actually painful, people would detect it significantly-faster (internally, as externally, unless you don't care about your body, you will see/feel a mass). But because they are just, "cells gone rogue," they continue to function within the normal constraints of your body, thus not causing any pain and going undetected; it's why it is such a devastating disease.

From glancing at it, this appears to be a good article on pacreatic:

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2019/03/pancreatic-cancer.php

EDIT* looking it up, its a bit thicker/more-girthy than I initially thought.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well yall sure are depressing.

Reply/Quote
I read an article that University of Iowa RB coach Derrick Foster is leaving Iowa to join an NFL team. The Iowa program is not saying which NFL team he is joining. I don't know how many NFL teams are looking for a RB coach but maybe this is something to keep in mind regarding the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2021, 10:38 PM)bwh Wrote: I read an article that University of Iowa RB coach Derrick Foster is leaving Iowa to join an NFL team. The Iowa program is not saying which NFL team he is joining. I don't know how many NFL teams are looking for a RB coach but maybe this is something to keep in mind regarding the Bengals.

Looks like he's going to the Chargers.
Reply/Quote