Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v Chiefs past games.
**THIS IS A THREAD FROM BEFORE THE CHIEFS GAME IN 2015.  EDITED AND UPDATED**

Bengals are 15-14 all time against the chiefs.  8-5 in Cincinnati.  Bengals have not lost to the Chiefs at home in THIRTY-EIGHT YEARS

NOTABLE GAMES

1969....Super Bowl Champion Chiefs only lose 3 games.  One of them was when a 4 win Bengals team came from behind in the fourth quarter on an 80 yard pass from Sam Wyche to Bob Trumpy to win 24-19.

1986......First of only 3 times the teams met in a year where they both won at least 10 games.  Bengals lose on opening day 24-14

1988.....On their way to a Super Bowl the 8-2 Bengals lay an egg against a 1-8-1 Chiefs team.  After taking a 28-16 lead on a Stanford Jennings 98 yard kick return in the third quarter the Bengals shut it down.  Chiefs score 4 straight times (2 FG, 1 td, 1 safety) to win 31-28.

2003....Bengals play Chiefs for the first time in ten years and it was a doozy.  Bengals come into the game 4-5, but brash young WR Chad Johnson guarantees they will beat the undefeated (9-0) Chiefs. Peter Warrick has 212 all-purpose yards including a 77 yard td reception and a 68 yards td punt return.  Bengals never trail and win 24-19.

2005....Second time teams met in a season when both won at least ten games.  This was the last game of the year and Bengals had already clinched home field playoff spot.  Starters don't play very much and Bengals lose 37-3 to a Chiefs team fighting for a playoff spot.  Future Bengal Larry Johnson has 201 rushing yards and 3 tds for the chiefs.

2006....After playing Chiefs in last game of '05 Bengals open the '06 season in Arrowhead.  Carson Palmer impresses everyone with his recovery from playoff knee injury in just 8 months.  Bengals win easily 23-10 as many experts begin to call them one of the best teams in the league.  However a rash of injuries turns the Bengals season into a 8-8 disappointment while the Chiefs bounce back to make the playoffs.

2009.....A Bengals team running on fumes (outscored 128-65 while finishing 1-4) needs a TD with 2 minutes left to pull out a 17-10 win against the hapless (4-12) Chiefs in week 16.  Even though it was ugly, the win clinched an AFCN Championship.

2015....Bengals move to 4-0 with easy 36-21 win and drop Chiefs to 1-3.  But Chiefs go on to win 11 regular season games and another in the playoffs. Dalton had 321 yards on just 24 attempts.  Chiefs had 461 yards offense but zero tds. (7 FG)
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals are 14-13 all time against the chiefs.  7-5 in Cincinnati.  Bengals have not lost to the Chiefs at home in 22 years.

NOTABLE GAMES

1969....Super Bowl Champion Chiefs only lose 3 games.  One of them was when a 4 win Bengals team came from behind in the fourth quarter on an 80 yard pass from Sam Wyche to Bob Trumpy on their way to a 24-19 victory.

1986......First of only 2 times the teams met in a year where they both won at least 10 games.  Bengals lose on opening day 24-14

1988.....On their way to a Super Bowl the 8-2 Bengals lay an egg against a 1-8-1 Chiefs team.  After taking a 28-16 lead on a Stanford Jennings 98 yard kick return in the third quarter the Bengals shut it down.  Chiefs score 4 straight times times (2 FG, 1 td, 1 safety) to win 31-28.

2003....Bengals play Chiefs for the first time in ten years and it was a doozy.  Bengals come into the game 4-5, but brash young WR Chad Johnson guarantees they will beat the undefeated (9-0) Chiefs. Peter Warrick has 212 all-purpose yards including a 77 yard td reception and a 68 yards td punt return.  Bengals never trail and win 24-19.

2005....Second time teams met in a season when both won at least ten games.  This was the last game of the year and Bengals had already clinched home field playoff spot.  Starters don't play very much and Bengals lose 37-3 to a Chiefs team fighting for a playoff spot.  Future Bengal Larry Johnson has 201 rushing yards and 3 tds for the chiefs.

2006....After playing Chiefs in last game of '05 Bengals open the '06 season in Arrowhead.  Carson Palmer impresses everyone with his recovery from playoff knee injury in just 8 months.  Bengals win easily 23-10 as many experts begin to call them one of the best teams in the league.  However a rash of injuries turns the Bengals season into a 8-8 disappointment while the Chiefs bounce back to make the playoffs.

2009.....A Bengals team running on fumes (outscored 128-65 while finishing 1-4) needs a TD with 2 minutes left to pull out a 17-10 win against the hapless (4-12) Chiefs in week 16.  Even though it was ugly, the win clinched an AFCN Championship.

I think 2003 solidified my status as a Bengal fan.

I began liking the Bengals when they drafted Carson Palmer (not a USC fan, was a 12 year old kid who thought they were a QB away from winning it all.... on Madden).

Peter Warrick was my favorite player at the time, and it was exactly how it would've gone on Madden. Bengals had no shot going into that game, and were pretty much written off. Then we were the darlings for ending their perfect run.

Good memories, thanks.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure I remember this correctly- the Chiefs had a 22 play drive in that 1988 game at Arrowhead.
Reply/Quote
I was at 05 and 06. Lasting impressions from arrowhead are I hate the chiefs as much as Pittsburgh due to their fans, and their boring ass city.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't it the "Chefs" who hurt Greg Cook's throwing arm?

You know, the injury that turned him from Elite to Average?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 2003....Bengals play Chiefs for the first time in ten years and it was a doozy.  Bengals come into the game 4-5, but brash young WR Chad Johnson guarantees they will beat the undefeated (9-0) Chiefs. Peter Warrick has 212 all-purpose yards including a 77 yard td reception and a 68 yards td punt return.  Bengals never trail and win 24-19.

This was the first game I ever went to. Wasn't much of a football fan before, but afterwards I was hooked.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 07:10 AM)Donnyho Wrote: This was the first game I ever went to. Wasn't much of a football fan before, but afterwards I was hooked.

I don't blame you!  Rock On

I started watching in 2004.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 02:04 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think 2003 solidified my status as a Bengal fan.

I began liking the Bengals when they drafted Carson Palmer (not a USC fan, was a 12 year old kid who thought they were a QB away from winning it all.... on Madden).

Peter Warrick was my favorite player at the time, and it was exactly how it would've gone on Madden. Bengals had no shot going into that game, and were pretty much written off. Then we were the darlings for ending their perfect run.

Good memories, thanks.

Dear lord you mean you missed the 90's lol. That was the true test of fandom. But we lifers did get 1988 and 1981.
Reply/Quote
And, of course, we had the nearly no-contest game in 2012, where Geno abused the oline and Cassel/Quinn could do nothing all game, even with Jamaal Charles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 02:04 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think 2003 solidified my status as a Bengal fan.

X2.  I was a casual fan before this, with my dad being a big fan and all, but I was always more worried about girls, guitars, and weed....like most teenagers.  This game really solidified the Bengals as a big love in my life.

I imagine that this game sparked the passion for a lot of younger fans.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 08:14 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Dear lord you mean you missed the 90's lol. That was the true test of fandom.   But we lifers did get 1988 and 1981.

Yes indeed, I became a fan in 1992 - in that decade I got excited if it was even close in the end hoping it meant a victory the next week! Reality was a 5 win season was good for them then.
Reply/Quote
I went to the game in 2009 where they clinched the division.
Reply/Quote
I had pretty much quit caring by 2003 then found myself surrounded by Chiefs fans so completely denied that the Chiefs stood a chance to win and had myself a nice smug day making fun of people. Been pretty much following since. Strangely enough I find myself quite often rooting for the chiefs when we're not playing them...no idea why.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:07 PM)grampahol Wrote:   Strangely enough I find myself quite often rooting for the chiefs when we're not playing them...no idea why.

I do because of former Vol Eric Berry.

Great player and a high class person.  Even before the cancer thing came up.

And for some reason a lot of Vols are/have played for the Chief recently
Reply/Quote
we should get a Chad Johnson Guarentee for this game
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 01:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals are 14-13 all time against the chiefs. 7-5 in Cincinnati. Bengals have not lost to the Chiefs at home in 22 years.

NOTABLE GAMES

2003....Bengals play Chiefs for the first time in ten years and it was a doozy. Bengals come into the game 4-5, but brash young WR Chad Johnson guarantees they will beat the undefeated (9-0) Chiefs. Peter Warrick has 212 all-purpose yards including a 77 yard td reception and a 68 yards td punt return. Bengals never trail and win 24-19.

Remember it well cheifs were killing people with their special teams... And we kept them bottled up every kick...
Reply/Quote
2006: Robert Geathers bounces Trent Green's head off the ground like "Sweet Georgia Brown" is playing.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 08:14 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Dear lord you mean you missed the 90's lol. That was the true test of fandom.   But we lifers did get 1988 and 1981.

You can blame my parents on that one.

Kids root for winners, I was a Rams fan, and Tom Brady broke my heart.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 02:54 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wasn't it the "Chefs" who hurt Greg Cook's throwing arm?

You know, the injury that turned him from Elite to Average?

Didn't it turn him from elite to retired?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2015, 05:24 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't it turn him from elite to retired?

he played that whole season on that bad rotator cuff...

But his come backs after the surgery failed.
Reply/Quote