Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v Eagles
Bengals lead series 8-3-1. The Detroit Lions are the only team with a lower winning percentage against the Bengals.

Bengals have never lost to eagles at home (3-0-1) and are 5-3 in Philly.

Not a lot of big games in this series. Only time the teams have met when both finished with winning records was in '88 when the Super Bowl bound Bengals (12-4) beat the NFC East Champion Eagles (10-6) 28-24 at Riverfront. Boomer went off (363 yards 4 tds) with Tim McGee, Rodney Holeman, and Eddie Brown combining for 14 catches and 294 yards. Randall Cunningham had 346 yards (261 pass, 85 rush) but the Bengals sacked him 4 times and held him to one td.

Interesting note. Bengals are .500 (2-2-1) in seasons where the Eagles finished with a winning record, but the Bengals did not.......Do i smell an upset?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals lead series 8-3-1.  The Detroit Lions are the only team with a lower winning percentage against the Bengals.

Not a lot of big games in this series.  Only time the teams have met when both finished with winning records was in '88 when the Super Bowl bound Bengals (12-4) beat the NFC East Champion Eagles (10-6) 28-24 at Riverfront.  Boomer went off (363 yards 4 tds) with Tim McGee, Rodney Holeman, and Eddie Brown combining for 14 catches and 294 yards.  Randall Cunningham had 346 yards (261 pass, 85 rush) but the Bengals sacked him 4 times and held him to one td.

Interesting note.  Bengals are .500 (2-2-1) in seasons where the Eagles finished with a winning record, but the Bengals did not.......Do i smell an upset?

I think that's another tie you're smelling Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As long as its not the smell from the trenches you alluded to in another thread!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
My prediction, Eagles cure all of their ills against a reeling Bengals team. Score on multiple big plays, Bengals lose another starter to injury.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 07:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My prediction, Eagles cure all of their ills against a reeling Bengals team.  Score on multiple big plays, Bengals lose another starter to injury.

Hopefully you're wrong on the injury, but otherwise, I'd say you're on the money.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 07:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hopefully you're wrong on the injury, but otherwise, I'd say you're on the money.

I'm not hoping for an injury.  I just know that some of those vets have a lot of pride, and will give it all until they break.  Part of why I'm all for "shutting it down", and playing all of the young talent.  Get a real good observation of what they can actually do in games.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hadn't even thought of that Sunset. Difficult one though were do you draw the line between a player commited to winning due to hurt pride to the over the top commited player who is gonna get hurt?

Tough.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 07:52 PM)Southendbengal Wrote: Hadn't even thought of that Sunset. Difficult one though were do you draw the line between a player commited to winning due to hurt pride to the over the top commited player who is gonna get hurt?

Tough.

By shutting things down, you not only likely get a better draft slot, but you get a real look at what your true needs are.  In our organization, some of these guys will ride the pine for 3 or more years, before getting a real chance to showcase their talents on the field, or get exposed for their lack of said talents. 

One of my biggest criticisms of Marvin Lewis, second only to his game management skills, is that he simply refuses to play the young talent.  Playing them not only allows them to develop their talent, but it also lets you know if you need to pencil that position in as a "need", should they prove to not be up to the task. 

With this season essentially "in the tank", why continue to risk the health of veteran players?  Heck, for that matter, why not start showcasing McCarron for trade suitors?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: By shutting things down, you not only likely get a better draft slot, but you get a real look at what your true needs are.  In our organization, some of these guys will ride the pine for 3 or more years, before getting a real chance to showcase their talents on the field, or get exposed for their lack of said talents. 

One of my biggest criticisms of Marvin Lewis, second only to his game management skills, is that he simply refuses to play the young talent.  Playing them not only allows them to develop their talent, but it also lets you know if you need to pencil that position in as a "need", should they prove to not be up to the task. 

With this season essentially "in the tank", why continue to risk the health of veteran players?  Heck, for that matter, why not start showcasing McCarron for trade suitors?

Okay I can get onboard with wanting to see what we've got with the youngsters, that makes sense.

Hypothetical - your Marvin and you've decided to follow this course of action. Dunlap comes up and says 'I'd like to keep playing coach, I feel like I've let the team and the fans down and need to finish strong to make it up to them.'

What do you do or say?

I only ask because I hope that we have players with that kind of mind set going into the end of the season (so this is maybe just wishful thinking on my behalf.).

EDIT: I used Dunlap as I wanted a player I think most of us would agree hasn't be as disappointing week in week out.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:12 PM)Southendbengal Wrote: Okay I can get onboard with wanting to see what we've got with the youngsters, that makes sense.

Hypothetical - your Marvin and you've decided to follow this course of action. Dunlap comes up and says 'I'd like to keep playing coach, I feel like I've let the team and the fans down and need to finish strong to make it up to them.'

What do you do or say?

I only ask because I hope that we have players with that kind of mind set going into the end of the season (so this is maybe just wishful thinking on my behalf.).

EDIT: I used Dunlap as I wanted a player I think most of us would agree hasn't be as disappointing week in week out.

Well, you picked a good example for discussion.  Dunlap is pretty sturdy, not often injured, not really "up in years".  He is one that I would leave on the field, as a core veteran, to give leadership to the youngsters.  On the DL, we should be benching Michael Johnson, Domata Peko, and rotating Geno Atkins, in order to give younger talent the look that they really need.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think that's another tie you're smelling Ninja

And like most ties, it smells like chili, because that is the food most often dripped onto a tie. But the real question is, how did you know Fred is a tie smeller?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, you picked a good example for discussion.  Dunlap is pretty sturdy, not often injured, not really "up in years".  He is one that I would leave on the field, as a core veteran, to give leadership to the youngsters.  On the DL, we should be benching Michael Johnson, Domata Peko, and rotating Geno Atkins, in order to give younger talent the look that they really need.

:andy:

Like I said I'd hope this would be the attitude from all the key players. In fact really all of them whether they're key or not.

Only thing I probably disagree on is McCarron - I honestly don't see anyone trading for him anyway.
Jets - they're gonna wanna see if Huckenberg (boy I know that's wrong but his name's evading me at the moment).
Browns - can't see Hue trading for a QB anytime soon, and also the Browns can afford to pick up many pieces in this draft and go looking for QB another year if needs be.
The only possibly query I can think of is the Bears and I don't know if Fox is unhappy with Cutler or if his contract is untouchable.

I think I'd rather let Andy play and build some more chemistry with the younger WR's myself.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals can generate some offense then beating the Eagles is within the realm of possibility. I'm sure the defense can generate some pressure on Carson Wentz and maybe even limit Darren Sproles' effectiveness somewhat. In fact, I think Paul Guenther's side of the ball has the capability to keep Philadelphia from scoring over 20 points. The unknown variable is the Cincinnati offense; I'm not sure they have more than 13 points in them over a four quarter game.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:47 PM)xxlt Wrote: And like most ties, it smells like chili, because that is the food most often dripped onto a tie. But the real question is, how did you know Fred is a tie smeller?

Sixth sense bro.....

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 09:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If the Bengals can generate some offense then beating the Eagles is within the realm of possibility.  I'm sure the defense can generate some pressure on Carson Wentz and maybe even limit Darren Sproles' effectiveness somewhat.  In fact, I think Paul Guenther's side of the ball has the capability to keep Philadelphia from scoring over 20 points.  The unknown variable is the Cincinnati offense; I'm not sure they have more than 13 points in them over a four quarter game.

I  completely agree with your post. But, I don't think the Bengals' undisciplined CBs and slow Safeties can cover Sproles or anyone else that have some speed. Unless Dalton reacquires the ability to throw accurate passes, you are right, the O is suspect. Never mind place kicking.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals lead series 8-3-1.  The Detroit Lions are the only team with a lower winning percentage against the Bengals.

Not a lot of big games in this series.  Only time the teams have met when both finished with winning records was in '88 when the Super Bowl bound Bengals (12-4) beat the NFC East Champion Eagles (10-6) 28-24 at Riverfront.  Boomer went off (363 yards 4 tds) with Tim McGee, Rodney Holeman, and Eddie Brown combining for 14 catches and 294 yards.  Randall Cunningham had 346 yards (261 pass, 85 rush) but the Bengals sacked him 4 times and held him to one td.

Interesting note.  Bengals are .500 (2-2-1) in seasons where the Eagles finished with a winning record, but the Bengals did not.......Do i smell an upset?

The '88 game was the first Bengals game I ever attended.  It was a great game, the teams were trading touchdowns in the 4th quarter, the Bengals held the Eagles on 4th down deep in their own territory to end it. The win over a very good Eagles team in the 2nd game of the season was a big step for them coming off the terrible '87 season.  The game was in Philly, btw.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 01:54 AM)Derrick Wrote: I  completely agree with your post. But, I don't think the Bengals' undisciplined CBs and slow Safeties can cover Sproles or anyone else that have some speed. Unless Dalton reacquires the ability to throw accurate passes, you are right, the O is suspect. Never mind place kicking.

Yeah man....Andy is struggling at the moment....the term shellshocked comes to mind.  I hope he gets it back.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think that's another tie you're smelling Ninja

Seriously, that would be fitting exclamation point to this shit show of a season.  Not one tie, which even though it hardly ever happens in the NFL, the Bengals somehow seem to be involved in many of them, but two.  And then we get the Marvin "we didn't win, but we also didn't lose today" speech...

Kind of sad, I have lost most interest in this team.  My family actually went to the place we normally watch Bengals game last Saturday to watch college football because we missed the food.  A host and server both said they have missed us the last few weeks and thought something had happened... "no, we are all good, out team just sucks and is painful to watch"  Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2016, 08:12 PM)Southendbengal Wrote: Okay I can get onboard with wanting to see what we've got with the youngsters, that makes sense.

What do you do or say?

It's not just that, it's that that the vets like AJ Green etc. have their own individual stats they want to work on to build the body of work that in his case puts him in the Hall, or in some other cases builds their next contract potential. You just can't take that away as a coach....
Reply/Quote
I predict another 13-13 tie and an uplifiting Hobson article about the "bounce back" and "clutch professionalism" from Nugent.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote