Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v Jets history
**UPDATE EDIT***

THIS THREAD IS BEING BUMPED FRPM 2019....at the time this thread was made the Bengals were 0-11.  That was less than 2 years ago.  We beat the Jets 22-6 for our first win of the year.

Bengals have won their last two games, but the Jets have dominated the head-to-head series 17-9 including 2-0 in the playoffs.

Last game ('16) was a thriller with 6 lead changes.  Bengals won 23-22 when Mike "Money" Nugent hit the 47 yard game winner with less than a minute left.  That was opening day following the great '15 season.  Despite the playoff meltdown we were still considered a championship contender at that time.  That Jets game marks a major turning point in the success of this team.  We have played 58 regular season games since then.  Here are how those 58 games compare with the 58 previous regular season games.

Since '16 Jets game....18-39-1.... .318%
Previous 58 games.....41-16-1.... .716%

We also beat the Jets in '13 49-9 on the strength of 4 tds from Marvin Jones.  Andy Dalton has better stats against the Jets than any other team in the league.  In the '2016 game he posted a 114 rating despite being sacked 7 times.  Overall he averaged 345 yards, 3 tds and a 127.8 passer rating in his 2 games against them.

Prior to these last two games the Bengals had gone 1-9 against the Jets over 2 decades back to 1992.  

Bengals have lost 2 playoff games to the Jets.

In 1982 the Bengals went 7-2 in a strike shortened season and were 4 point favorites in their opening playoff game against the Jets.  Things looked good for the home team as the Bengals took a 14-3 into the second quarter, but the Jets steamrolled the Bengals for the rest of the game winning 44-17.  Freeman McNeil rushed for over 200 yards and also threw a td pass.  The Jets outrushed the Bengals 234-62 and rolled up 517 total yards and 27 first downs.  

In 2009 the Bengals were again a favorite playing at home in the first round of the playoffs, but that team was mostly smoke and mirrors at that point.  Over the previous 7 games they were 3-4 without a single win over a team better than 5-11.  The previous game this same Jets team had crushed them 37-0 and the week before that they had needed a td with under 2 minutes left to beat a 4-12 Chiefs team.  Just like in '82 the Bengals took a lead into the second quarter (7-0) and then got rolled losing 24-14.  The one redeeming quality of that game was one of the best individual post season performances by a Bengal when Cedric Benson ran like an animal for 169 yards on only 21 carries and accounted for 181 of the Bengals 281 yards of total offense.

Other games of note.  .  .  

Last game of 1986 Bengals register one of their most dominate performances ever out gaining the Jets 621-199 in a 52-21 beat down.  both teams finish 10-6 but since 4 teams tied at 10-6 head-to-head did not matter.  Jets make the playoffs and Bengals miss out.

Second game of 1981 season.  In the season opener Ken Anderson was benched with Bengals down 21-3.  Turk Schoenert led the Bengals to a dramatic come from behind win, but Gregg re-instated Anderson as the starter for week 2.  At this point Anderson was only 13-26 as a starter over the previous 3 seasons.  The fan base was wanting a new QB.  But against a Jets team that would finish with the league's #5 defense and only five losses Anderson threw for 252 yards and 2 tds in a close 31-30 victory and the march to the league MVP and Super Bowl was underway.

Single game records.  .  .  

Passing tds....… 5.  Dalton, 10-27-13 (4 to Marvin Jones)
                           Esiason, 12-21-86 (3 to Cris Collinsworth)

Passing yds.... 425. Esiason, 12-21-86

Rushing yds... 169. Cedric Benson, 1-9-10

Rushing tds.....… 3.  Kenny Watson, 10-21-07

Receptions....... 12. A. J. Green, 9-11-16 (also most yards 180)

Receiving td....... 4.  Marvin Jones, 10-27-13

Interceptions...... 3.  Ken Riley tied Bengals team record with 3 on 12-12-76.
Reply/Quote
Nobody knows about the Bengals failures against the Jets more than me. Up until the last two games, we always seemed to lose to those bastards. That 1983 playoff game that we got annihilated (screw you Freeman McNeil) still haunts me today. Going to school the day after a Bengals loss to the Jets was the worst. Thankfully most people were Giants fans and hated the Jets. The one “fun” game was the last game of 1986 where we destroyed them 52-21. Unfortunately, the Jets still got the Wild Card because of a three way tie. Stupid rule.

Anyway, I expect more of the same this Sunday. Thankfully, I have no school to go to on Monday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:20 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Nobody knows about the Bengals failures against the Jets more than me. Up until the last two games, we always seemed to lose to those bastards. That 1983 playoff game that we got annihilated (screw you Freeman McNeil) still haunts me today. Going to school the day after a Bengals loss to the Jets was the worst. Thankfully most people were Giants fans and hated the Jets. The one “fun” game was the last game of 1986 where we destroyed them 52-21. Unfortunately, the Jets still got the Wild Card because of a three way tie. Stupid rule.

Anyway, I expect more of the same this Sunday. Thankfully, I have no school to go to on Monday.

The Jets have never beat Andy Dalton. In 2013 Andy sank Revis Island.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Jets have never beat Andy Dalton.  In 2013 Andy sank Revis Island.

They’ve never beat Dolegala either.   :andy:

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 02:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Jets have never beat Andy Dalton.  In 2013 Andy sank Revis Island.

Actually they picked on Dee Milliner most of the game.

Marvin Jones abused him.

Dalton exploited the match-up.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Jets have the #1 rush defense. Going to be tough for Mixon to get going. I think winning this game will come down to Dalton getting a little time to make some throws. I've got to be honest with you, I feel a lot better that he's playing. Think we have a shot if the defense can put some pressure on Darnold.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 10:19 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Actually they picked on Dee Milliner most of the game.

Marvin Jones abused him.

Dalton exploited the match-up.

I don't think Cromartie fared much better against AJ Green that day either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 01:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: They’ve never beat Dolegala either.   :andy:

Give it time...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

That was with mighty Marvin as head coach.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
Bumped.
Reply/Quote
Never like seeing the Jets, no matter our respective records. The 1982 playoff game with Freeman ***** McNeil running wild was bad enough to witness, but seeing them lose in person to mediocre talent QB Butt Fumble in the 2009 playoff was the absolute worst. We froze our asses off to watch Shayne Graham suddenly forget how to kick a football and Merv throw away his challenges. Not a fun night.

Ned to curb-stomp these ***** into oblivion Sunday.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote