Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v NFC South
First a little history. Last time we played the NFC South we went undefeated (3-0-1), but that is not much to brag about because the Panthers won the division with a losing record (7-8-1). Bengals have a .512 win percentage all-time against the division and are .500 or better against the top three teams (Panthers .500, Saints .538, Falcons .615). Tampa Bay comes to Cincinnati this year, but we are 0-4 at home against the Bucs since 1989.

Saints at home. Saints had arguably the best offense in the league last year. Their passing game was 5th in total yards and first in yards per attempt. Running game was 5th in total yards and 2nd in yards per carry. The Defense was 10th in points allowed. They only lost to the Vikings in the playoffs because of one of the most miraculous finishes in NFL history.

Buccaneers at home. Jameis Winston has developed into a solid QB, but he is not near good enough to carry one of the worst running games (27th) and defenses (dead last in yards allowed).

At Falcons. Like the Saints, the Falcons won a playoff game last year. Matt Ryan had a down year for him, but the Falcons run game was not bad (13th yds, 8th yd per carry) and their defense was top 10 (8th points, 9th yds)

At Panthers. Panthers were the third team from the NFCS to make the playoffs last year. Passing offense was nothing special (28th yds, 24th passer rating), but Cam had no WRs. Running games was strong (4th yds, 8th yds per carry), and the defense was solid (7th yds, 11th scoring). Panthers run offense is skewed by Cam. He led the team with 754 yards and a 5.4 avg, but the top 2 RBs (Stewart, McCafferty) combined to average just 69 yards per game and 3.5 yards per carry. No one else had more than 100 rushing yards for the season.

I know you can not always project next years record from the previous season, but I think the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers will all be good teams again next year. NFCS has three of the best QBs in the league (Brees, Ryan, and Newton all Super Bowl QBs) and another who is above average (Winston).
Reply/Quote
Im looking forward to the away game in Carolina, road trip!

As to what the OP said this division won't be easy this season, it will be a shoot out to beat New Orleans, the Falcons in Hotlanta will be tough, we need to beat the Bucs at home and win a hard fought road game in Carolina.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
It is not an easy road to haul but think the Bengals will be very formidable if they can get the OL fixed this offseason.

Big "IF" but think it is possible if they attack it early on in draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Hmm..nfcs huh? I might actually get to watch a few games this year being I live in SC..  I'll still turn on the radio broadcast to listen to Laph and Hoard and tune out the goony bird tv broadcasters . I think I saw one game all last season ..not that I missed that much .
Now I'm starting to wonder if the Smoke and Mirrors show that is the front office and the changing of the guard at position coaches amounts to anything or not  ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
All four games will be very difficult.

We got a break getting the Saints in Cincinnati. But our rush defense better improve or Brees will just hand the ball off all day to Kamara and Ingram
Reply/Quote
[Image: theyll-kill-us-barney.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:35 PM)bengals67 Wrote: All four games will be very difficult.

We got a break getting the Saints in Cincinnati. But our rush defense better improve or Brees will just hand the ball off all day to Kamara and Ingram

Lets pray for heavy rain and/or lots of snow....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 09:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First a little history. Last time we played the NFC South we went undefeated (3-0-1), but that is not much to brag about because the Panthers won the division with a losing record (7-8-1).  Bengals have a .512 win percentage all-time against the division and are .500 or better against the top three teams (Panthers .500, Saints .538, Falcons .615).  Tampa Bay comes to Cincinnati this year, but we are 0-4 at home against the Bucs since 1989.

Saints at home.  Saints had arguably the best offense in the league last year.  Their passing game was 5th in total yards and first in yards per attempt.  Running game was 5th in total yards and 2nd in yards per carry.  The Defense was 10th in points allowed.  They only lost to the Vikings in the playoffs because of one of the most miraculous finishes in NFL history.

Buccaneers at home.  Jameis Winston has developed into a solid QB, but he is not near good enough to carry one of the worst running games (27th) and defenses (dead last in yards allowed).

At Falcons.  Like the Saints, the Falcons won a playoff game last year.  Matt Ryan had a down year for him, but the Falcons run game was not bad (13th yds, 8th yd per carry) and their defense was top 10 (8th points, 9th yds)

At Panthers.  Panthers were the third team from the NFCS to make the playoffs last year.  Passing offense was nothing special (28th yds, 24th passer rating), but Cam had no WRs.  Running games was strong (4th yds, 8th yds per carry), and the defense was solid (7th yds, 11th scoring).  Panthers run offense is skewed by Cam.  He led the team with 754 yards and a 5.4 avg, but the top 2 RBs (Stewart, McCafferty) combined to average just 69 yards per game and 3.5 yards per carry.  No one else had more than 100 rushing yards for the season.

I know you can not always project next years record from the previous season, but I think the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers will all be good teams again next year.  NFCS has three of the best QBs in the league (Brees, Ryan, and  Newton all Super Bowl QBs) and another who is above average (Winston).  I also think having AJ, along with Mixon being our bell cow, 

That was the only reason they lost?  They only played one play in a playoff game?

Seems strange, but the NFL does have weird rules now, so  Jerry

Their division should be tough again this year, but I think Matt Ryan is on the decline (didn't have a great year last year), Brees is 39, Cam will be 29 coming off a season where he had the 2nd lowest yards in his career (and only played 14 games the season he had his lowest), 2nd most INTS (next to his rookie year), most rushing yards (but also most attempts and most fumbles), and the Bucs have talent on offense, but Winston isn't consistent enough to scare me.  I also think that our offense absolutely torches them.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 09:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: NFCS has three of the best QBs in the league (Brees, Ryan, and Newton all Super Bowl QBs) and another who is above average (Winston).

Two of these guys have MVP awards and none of them are named Drew Brees. Thats f’d up dude.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 04:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That was the only reason they lost?  They only played one play in a playoff game?

Seems strange, but the NFL does have weird rules now, so  Jerry

Their division should be tough again this year, but I think Matt Ryan is on the decline (didn't have a great year last year), Brees is 39, Cam will be 29 coming off a season where he had the 2nd lowest yards in his career (and only played 14 games the season he had his lowest), 2nd most INTS (next to his rookie year), most rushing yards (but also most attempts and most fumbles), and the Bucs have talent on offense, but Winston isn't consistent enough to scare me.  I also think that our offense absolutely torches them.

Ryan had a great year considering he had Sarkessian as OC....

If Sark gets over the hump, they're back in business. The fact that they went 10-6 and barely lost to the SB champs speaks volumes for their roster.

Bengals will be 1-3 in the NFC, possibly even 0-4. We're not beating Atlanta, NO, or Caroloina. And Tampa plays us tough regardless.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 09:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First a little history. Last time we played the NFC South we went undefeated (3-0-1), but that is not much to brag about because the Panthers won the division with a losing record (7-8-1).  Bengals have a .512 win percentage all-time against the division and are .500 or better against the top three teams (Panthers .500, Saints .538, Falcons .615).  Tampa Bay comes to Cincinnati this year, but we are 0-4 at home against the Bucs since 1989.

Saints at home.  Saints had arguably the best offense in the league last year.  Their passing game was 5th in total yards and first in yards per attempt.  Running game was 5th in total yards and 2nd in yards per carry.  The Defense was 10th in points allowed.  They only lost to the Vikings in the playoffs because of one of the most miraculous finishes in NFL history.

Buccaneers at home.  Jameis Winston has developed into a solid QB, but he is not near good enough to carry one of the worst running games (27th) and defenses (dead last in yards allowed).

At Falcons.  Like the Saints, the Falcons won a playoff game last year.  Matt Ryan had a down year for him, but the Falcons run game was not bad (13th yds, 8th yd per carry) and their defense was top 10 (8th points, 9th yds)

At Panthers.  Panthers were the third team from the NFCS to make the playoffs last year.  Passing offense was nothing special (28th yds, 24th passer rating), but Cam had no WRs.  Running games was strong (4th yds, 8th yds per carry), and the defense was solid (7th yds, 11th scoring).  Panthers run offense is skewed by Cam.  He led the team with 754 yards and a 5.4 avg, but the top 2 RBs (Stewart, McCafferty) combined to average just 69 yards per game and 3.5 yards per carry.  No one else had more than 100 rushing yards for the season.

I know you can not always project next years record from the previous season, but I think the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers will all be good teams again next year.  NFCS has three of the best QBs in the league (Brees, Ryan, and  Newton all Super Bowl QBs) and another who is above average (Winston).
I see 2-2, long shoot of 3-1 ... i feel we lose to Atlanta at home, take both home games especially if NO is later in season.. Carolina is a very up and down team but they play at home so still a long shot to win that one
Reply/Quote
Tough to predict yet. We don't know yet how the new regime does and we don't know who we're gonna draft or how well or poorly they'll play . If Andy gets a decent offensive line to give him time to throw he can play a pretty good QB.. With both VB and Brown at LB we could be pretty tough in the middle. 
I ain't scared.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Im ok with being an underdog for most of the games. Teams may look past us. Seems like bengals have done ok when not expected to do well.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 02:43 AM)jorev5 Wrote: Im ok with being an underdog for most of the games.  Teams may look past us.  Seems like bengals have done ok when not expected to do well.

That's a good point.

I remenebr thinking the Saints were going to slaughter us in 14, but the Bengals proved me wrong there.

I could see us giving the Falcons fits. Especially if Sarkessian continues to be an ass OC for them.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 02:43 AM)jorev5 Wrote: Im ok with being an underdog for most of the games.  Teams may look past us.  Seems like bengals have done ok when not expected to do well.

One thing's for sure.....when the pressure is low, Mediocre Merv teams shine. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 10:56 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: One thing's for sure.....when the pressure is low, Mediocre Merv teams shine. Mellow

Lol, I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic.
Reply/Quote

I know you can not always project next years record from the previous season, but I think the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers will all be good teams again next year.  NFCS has three of the best QBs in the league (Brees, Ryan, and  Newton all Super Bowl QBs) and another who is above average (Winston).

Its interesting in that human instinct is to immediately think of the enemy firepower, rather than your own. Even with a down year for us, Carolina and Atlanta defenses were not that much better than ours, in regards to points allowed and passing yards allowed.

I feel that with better protection, Bengals bring a balanced offense that can beat ATL, NO and TB.   

Carolina will be a tough out because their QB is not only big and mobile, he is also fairly accurate. Their weakness is the secondary. The Kuechly-Eifert matchup should be popcorn worthy. 

Lets see how we draft .....
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 12:57 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lol, I can't tell if you're being sincere or sarcastic.

LOL .....sincere, you know it's true.  If there is no pressure, we're golden.....get in a pressure situation, Merv folds like a tent.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 09:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: LOL .....sincere, you know it's true.  If there is no pressure, we're golden.....get in a pressure situation, Merv folds like a tent.

I heard Marv was coaching the Bearcats with a Cronin mask on when they blew their 22 point lead
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 11:30 AM)corpjet Wrote: Im looking forward to the away game in Carolina, road trip!

As to what the OP said this division won't be easy this season, it will be a shoot out to beat New Orleans, the Falcons in Hotlanta will be tough, we need to beat the Bucs at home and win a hard fought road game in Carolina.

I'll be at that game as well. I live just outside of Charlotte. 
Reply/Quote