Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v Patriots - who has the better run game?
I haven't watched too many of NE''s games this year. In fact, I don't know that I've seen even one. Are their backs power runners, or speedy runners. We seem to do better against the King Henry's who power their way through the line than we do the speedsters that go around.
Reply/Quote
The Patriots' run game was on fire early on in the season. In 4 of their first 5 games, they got over 100 yards rushing (124, 145, 167 and 176 in weeks 2 through 5).

It then went cold for about 7 games, with just 2 games with 100 yards from weeks 6 to week 14 (98, 70, 127, 70, 99, 45, 103) averaging 4.0 yards per carry just 1 time in that span, in week 14. (the 127 game they averaged just 3.4 ypc, they just ran it 34 times because they got a lead early in the 3rd quarter).

Their run game exploded in week 15 for 206 yards and 6.4 ypc against the Raiders and that includes a -20 yard run by Jakobi Meyers which it seems is what they considered that lateral play, so it should have been even higher if Meyers doesn't literally throw the game away.

They have 10 20+ yard runs, 15th in the NFL, and 12 rushing TDs on the season, which is tied for 18th in the league. Their YPC is 4.3 ypc, which is 22nd in the NFL and their yards per game are 112, 19th in the league.

So, overall, they were hot early, cold lately with 1 massive exception being their most recent game. They are middle of the road in terms of explosive plays, yards per carry and touchdowns.

The Bengals, on the other hand, are statistically inferior in several key areas over the course of the season. Fewer yards per carry, 3.9, fewer yards per game, 100, fewer 20+ yard runs, 7, and while we do have more rushing touchdowns (13 to 12), 5 of ours have been from Burrow.

The one thing the Bengals have going for them is our rushing offense has, for the most part, been on an upswing for the season rather than a downswing that the Patriots had up until week 15.

We had success rushing the ball against the Steelers in week 1, 133 yards 3.9 ypc, however 47 of that came from Joe Burrow. Mixon only had 3.0 ypc and 82 yards on 27 carries. For the next 3 weeks, we averaged 3.6 ypc, 2.5 ypc and 2.2 ypc. However, from week 5 to week 14, we had games in which we averaged 4.8 ypc (Ravens game, our first 100 yard game since week 1), 5.4 ypc, 3.7 ypc, 3.6 ypc, 6.2 ypc (Carolina game), 2.6 ypc, 3.9 ypc, 4.5 ypc and 5.2 ypc. Over those 9 games, we had 5 100 yard games, one of which was an insane 241 yards. We had some bumps along the way, but overall our rushing offense seemed to come alive when we needed it. Against the Saints, we averaged 5.4 yards per carry but only ran it 14 times, so we didn't exceed 100 yards that game.

The run game stumbled against the Bucs rather inexplicably. I honestly can't figure out how we struggled to run against the team with Vea out. It may have just been an anomaly because everything wasn't working in the first half and the second half was mostly condensed fields (due to great field position/turnovers) and the fact that we were behind. I am not sure.

But overall I'd say our rushing attack isn't quite as good as NE's with the caveat that, recently, our rushing attack has had more success than the Patriots', minus week 15 for both teams.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 10:12 AM)Tomkat Wrote: With the forecast for bitter cold and high winds that could drastically effect the passing game, I was just curious who has the better run game of the two teams, and it seems that NE is slightly better.

[Image: fjQn1a6.png]

I wonder how much of an impact this (and the weather) will have on the game?
Is this something to be concerned about?

If we run a Wide Zone with Mixon, yeah we should be concerned...

If we run the Gap scheme, no. Especially with the Gravedigger and Boothill slowing down their running game. 

Hoping Tufele feels better for the game too as he is listed questionable with an illness right now. Sucks losing Sam going into 
this game but Hilton is going and unbelievably Trey will play with a splint from what I just read. We slowed down Nick Chubb,
we can slow down any run game.
Reply/Quote