Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals vs. Browns 2.0 and Mike Brown
The Cleveland Browns come to town this weekend for the second Bengals-Browns game of the year.  It's interesting both intra-Ohio games are taking place in the first half of the season before the Bengals' bye week which brings something to mind.

If the Bengals lose to the Browns on Sunday do you think the Front Office might make some coaching changes during the bye week?  What about the end of the season?

It has stuck with me that Marvin Lewis was retained after several consecutive losing seasons but let go after the first season where the Bengals dropped both games to Cleveland.  In all his seasons as head coach, Marvin never lost two games to the Browns but the moment he did in 2018 BAM!  He was gone.  Might Zac Taylor suffer a similar fate?

Let's not forget Mike Brown worked for his father Paul in Cleveland.  He hero-worshiped his father and made sure the Bengals' new stadium was named after his father.  Mike Brown might not be ahead of the times as a team president but he has two redeeming qualities:  (1) Extreme loyalty and (2) a vitriolic hatred of the Cleveland Browns.  Mike Brown is keenly aware of January 9, 1963; that's the day Art Modell fired Paul Brown which meant Mikey Boy was out of work too. 

Mike went to work with his father again in Cincinnati but he never lost his hate for the Cleveland Browns.  Two losses to Cleveland may be the needed catalyst for change.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see how this game plays out compared to week 2. Chubb is out so hopefully they can’t run like they did before, even though Hunt is a very capable replacement. Going into week 2 there was a lot of grumbling around Mayfield’s struggles, then he got right against us. Same thing going on now, even talk of Keenum taking over. Will Mayfield light us up again?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It will be interesting to see how this game plays out compared to week 2. Chubb is out so hopefully they can’t run like they did before, even though Hunt is a very capable replacement. Going into week 2 there was a lot of grumbling around Mayfield’s struggles, then he got right against us. Same thing going on now, even talk of Keenum taking over. Will Mayfield light us up again?

With WJIII looking like he may not play, it is certainly a possibility. No Reader, No Hubbard, no Jackson or Waynes, barely any Geno, Dunlap ineffective. I wouldn't be surprised if Baker got back on track against us. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It will be interesting to see how this game plays out compared to week 2. Chubb is out so hopefully they can’t run like they did before, even though Hunt is a very capable replacement. Going into week 2 there was a lot of grumbling around Mayfield’s struggles, then he got right against us. Same thing going on now, even talk of Keenum taking over. Will Mayfield light us up again?

As ho hum as Mayfield can be the Browns benching him to play their 38th retread FA QB in Keenum sounds like a lousy idea. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think we will see Zac get fired until the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
I foresee Mayfield having a field day.
Reply/Quote
If they figured out how to stop the run this time then maybe we win. I'll take my chances with Baker having to air it out.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cleveland Browns come to town this weekend for the second Bengals-Browns game of the year.  It's interesting both intra-Ohio games are taking place in the first half of the season before the Bengals' bye week which brings something to mind.

If the Bengals lose to the Browns on Sunday do you think the Front Office might make some coaching changes during the bye week?  What about the end of the season?

It has stuck with me that Marvin Lewis was retained after several consecutive losing seasons but let go after the first season where the Bengals dropped both games to Cleveland.  In all his seasons as head coach, Marvin never lost two games to the Browns but the moment he did in 2018 BAM!  He was gone.  Might Zac Taylor suffer a similar fate?

Let's not forget Mike Brown worked for his father Paul in Cleveland.  He hero-worshiped his father and made sure the Bengals' new stadium was named after his father.  Mike Brown might not be ahead of the times as a team president but he has two redeeming qualities:  (1) Extreme loyalty and (2) a vitriolic hatred of the Cleveland Browns.  Mike Brown is keenly aware of January 9, 1963; that's the day Art Modell fired Paul Brown which meant Mikey Boy was out of work too. 

Mike went to work with his father again in Cincinnati but he never lost his hate for the Cleveland Browns.  Two losses to Cleveland may be the needed catalyst for change.

I think there is almost no way that ZT doesn't get a third year.  I am partly in support of him getting one more year, but maybe changing the OC or at the very least offensive line coach.  The rest of this season will tell us a lot.  
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cleveland Browns come to town this weekend for the second Bengals-Browns game of the year.  It's interesting both intra-Ohio games are taking place in the first half of the season before the Bengals' bye week which brings something to mind.

Hmm Made me think cause this could happen. I know it is kind of sad but maybe a loss to the Stains Sunday might be what we
need LMAO!!! Then bring in Wade Phillips who said he wants a job if this is still true. As much as I hope for Sled to be right and
for Taylor to turn this thing around and be a good HC I find it very hard to believe with his record.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 04:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think there is almost no way that ZT doesn't get a third year. 

Dick LeBeau only got two drafts and two offseasons to turn the team around.

The front office spent $145 million on free agents this offseason.  They like their money too much to waste another season on a HC who can't do anything with that talent.

In addition to the bounty of free agents Zac also got the number 1 offensive lineman from the 2019 draft, the number one overall pick from the 2020 draft and AJ Green. 

Zac also has ZERO track record to give the front office any confidence that he knows what he is doing

There is no excuse for him not to show a HUGE improvement over 2019.  If he doesn't then I think he is done.
Reply/Quote

Extreme loyalty is a redeeming quality?
I would say Brown's loyalty has at times been a detriment to the organization.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 03:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: With WJIII looking like he may not play, it is certainly a possibility. No Reader, No Hubbard, no Jackson or Waynes, barely any Geno, Dunlap ineffective. I wouldn't be surprised if Baker got back on track against us. 

No excuses. Remember that tweet?

Next man up.

(10-22-2020, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dick LeBeau only got two drafts and two offseasons to turn the team around.

The front office spent $145 million on free agents this offseason.  They like their money too much to waste another season on a HC who can't do anything with that talent.

In addition to the bounty of free agents Zac also got the number 1 offensive lineman from the 2019 draft, the number one overall pick from the 2020 draft and AJ Green. 

Zac also has ZERO track record to give the front office any confidence that he knows what he is doing

There is no excuse for him not to show a HUGE improvement over 2019.  If he doesn't then I think he is done.

Probably have never agreed with Fred more lol

Reps.
Reply/Quote
We are pretty depleted on defense right now. I could see the Browns handing us our asses especially without Jackson and Reader.

But the question remains. Will the Brown family show ZT the door if they lose? Wishful thinking, because I'm not at all on ZTs bandwagon right now, but I think he gets another season unless we finish with 2 wins or less. Total speculation, because he may get shown the door Monday if he loses this game. But based on the history with Mike Brown Id say he gets a 3rd season.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 05:13 PM)bengaloo Wrote: We are pretty depleted on defense right now. I could see the Browns handing us our asses especially without Jackson and Reader.

But the question remains. Will the Brown family show ZT the door if they lose? Wishful thinking, because I'm not at all on ZTs bandwagon right now, but I think he gets another season unless we finish with 2 wins or less. Total speculation, because he may get shown the door Monday if he loses this game. But based on the history with Mike Brown Id say he gets a 3rd season.

Doesn't recent history show that the HC gets shown the door after being swept by the Browns as FIK shown?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't recent history show that the HC gets shown the door after being swept by the Browns as FIK shown?

I certainly hope so! I just have a gut feeling ZT is different. Like someone said hes kind of a salesman. He talks a great game. But I've lost faith in him totally at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 04:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think there is almost no way that ZT doesn't get a third year.  I am partly in support of him getting one more year, but maybe changing the OC or at the very least offensive line coach.  The rest of this season will tell us a lot.  

Generally I would agree with that but this is a little different.  Unless ZT shows he's got long term capability would you as an ownership group be willing to waste yet another year with your franchise QB?  If ZT doesn't pan out in year 3 you are now changing coaches again, but your QB is now in year 3 of his contract.  He does have a 5th year option but would you want to throw away his first 3 years?  I don't think the Bengals can afford to do this, not with a talent like Burrow.  If ZT doesn't show something more than he's shown no way would I not pull the trigger.  You only have Burrow on a rookie contract for so long.  The window to build around him is now, can't waste years on a coach that might never pan out.  Need to get a big name and go for it.

Even the Bengals are that stupid.  Wait....... Nervous
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 05:24 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I certainly hope so! I just have a gut feeling ZT is different. Like someone said hes kind of a salesman. He talks a great game. But I've lost faith in him totally at this point.

Good point on Zac being a great talker.

He needs to string together at least 2 wins for me to even gain a little faith. His record has to be one of the worst records in NFL 
history this many games as a new HC.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 06:24 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Generally I would agree with that but this is a little different.  Unless ZT shows he's got long term capability would you as an ownership group be willing to waste yet another year with your franchise QB?  If ZT doesn't pan out in year 3 you are now changing coaches again, but your QB is now in year 3 of his contract.  He does have a 5th year option but would you want to throw away his first 3 years?  I don't think the Bengals can afford to do this, not with a talent like Burrow.  If ZT doesn't show something more than he's shown no way would I not pull the trigger.  You only have Burrow on a rookie contract for so long.  The window to build around him is now, can't waste years on a coach that might never pan out.  Need to get a big name and go for it.

Even the Bengals are that stupid.  Wait....... Nervous

I would think we would have some better candidates to choose from too with Burrow here.

Everyone but Essex has been impressed with him lol
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dick LeBeau only got two drafts and two offseasons to turn the team around.

So double wins from last year , is that a huge improvement ?  i remember when i compared the 2-14 team last season to the 2010 4-12 team.. so many said they had twice the wins .. if we go 4-11-1 over 2-14 is that enough ?  
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 06:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So double wins from last year , is that a huge improvement ?  i remember when i compared the 2-14 team last season to the 2010 4-12 team.. so many said they had twice the wins .. if we go 4-11-1 over 2-14 is that enough ?  

Hell no, that is not enough. Bring in a new coach if that is the case.
Reply/Quote