Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessie Bates puts it bluntly
(09-24-2020, 03:20 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The thing that is frustrating is that he shows so many good flashes nut then puts on a stinker like Thursday! 

(09-24-2020, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Bates is a strange player that way. His rookie year he was a much better tackler than I thought he would be as that was
his one weakness in college. Then his sophomore year he was one of if not the worst tacklers in the NFL at Safety. Then the first 
game he made some good tackles, then this one... WTF?!!!
Yep the guy has been frustrating he is turning out to be the Dalton of Safeties. He needs to be more consistent.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:32 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Tackling has gotten worse since the new coaching staff arrived.

Run defense has gotten way worse since the new coaching staff arrived.

Running game has gotten worse since the new coaching staff arrived.

Passing game has gotten worse since the new coaching staff arrived.

Special teams has been about the same, good. Oh, that coach wasn't part of the new coaching staff who arrived. What'ya know about that?

Flush these newly arrived bums and bring in some actual NFL caliber coaches!
We were deadlast in defense during Marvin's last season and as for the rushing offense we have been inconsistent for the past 10 seasons. It's just not a new coaching phenomenon.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 04:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Yep the guy has been frustrating he is turning out to be the Dalton of Safeties. He needs to be more consistent.

I'm willing to excuse the guy, along with the rest of the defense, for last Thursday Night's performance.  A tough environment on 3 day's rest, after a hard fought game with the Chargers, going against a team with a chip on it's shoulder after an embarrassing loss?  

Now, if he and the rest of the defense play flat at Philly?  Then I will consider joining the critic's club.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 04:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Yep the guy has been frustrating he is turning out to be the Dalton of Safeties. He needs to be more consistent.

Agree. Bates just needs to learn to wrap up better, it is not like he cannot. He did it pretty consistent his rookie year.

(09-25-2020, 04:15 PM)J24 Wrote: We were deadlast in defense during Marvin's last season and as for the rushing offense we have been inconsistent for the past 10 seasons. It's just not a new coaching phenomenon.

True, but still everything needs to improve big time or Taylor and company need to hit the street with Marv.

(09-25-2020, 04:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm willing to excuse the guy, along with the rest of the defense, for last Thursday Night's performance.  A tough environment on 3 day's rest, after a hard fought game with the Chargers, going against a team with a chip on it's shoulder after an embarrassing loss?  

Now, if he and the rest of the defense play flat at Philly?  Then I will consider joining the critic's club.

Feel the same, that was a short turn around after a hard fought game. Maybe with the rest this will be like a mini bye week
and we have a good game. Would be nice to see both the Offense and the Defense play a complete game for once.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 04:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm willing to excuse the guy, along with the rest of the defense, for last Thursday Night's performance.  A tough environment on 3 day's rest, after a hard fought game with the Chargers, going against a team with a chip on it's shoulder after an embarrassing loss?  

Not disagreeing with that but if Bates is going call  everyone else out then he has to perform better week in an week out. No matter the circumstances! I have I hopes for the Kid.
J24

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, that was a short turn around after a hard fought game. Maybe with the rest this will be like a mini bye week
and we have a good game. Would be nice to see both the Offense and the Defense play a complete game for once.

Unrelated to Bates or the defense, but more to your part about the offense and defense putting together complete games.  I certainly hope that Turner, Callahan and Taylor were able to get the OL calmed down, and that 10 days of practice has Fred Johnson feeling a little more comfortable and settled at RG.  It was obvious that he whiffed on several plays last Thursday.  That has to be a bit unnerving, especially after we saw that he can hold his own at Tackle last season.  I don't think that FJ is physically incapable of playing the position, as much as he was just thrown in there and seemed a bit confused.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 08:32 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Tackling has gotten worse since the new coaching staff arrived.

Special teams has been about the same, good. Oh, that coach wasn't part of the new coaching staff who arrived. What'ya know about that?

Marvin's last two seasons as HC our rush defense was flat out awful ! We were like 30th and 29th vs. the rush.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unrelated to Bates or the defense, but more to your part about the offense and defense putting together complete games.  I certainly hope that Turner, Callahan and Taylor were able to get the OL calmed down, and that 10 days of practice has Fred Johnson feeling a little more comfortable and settled at RG.  It was obvious that he whiffed on several plays last Thursday.  That has to be a bit unnerving, especially after we saw that he can hold his own at Tackle last season.  I don't think that FJ is physically incapable of playing the position, as much as he was just thrown in there and seemed a bit confused.

More than a bit lol

Philly has a good D-line too so we will see. If it was Dalton out there last week it would of been bad pretty sure all the way 
around. With Burrow I have hope even if the OL gives up pressure here and there, Smokin' Joe is THAT special. Wish he didn't
have to be THAT special though, but he does. I just want to see some holes in the running game for once for Mixon.

Could happen, no Fletcher Cox and without him they are not near as good at stopping the run as rushing the passer.

(09-25-2020, 05:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin's last two seasons as HC our rush defense was flat out awful ! We were like 30th and 29th vs. the rush.

True, it was one game against the Browns with their good OL and badazz RB duo.

We weren't great against the Chargers but we weren't terrible. Ekeler is damn good himself, but you have to focus on him in 
the passing game cause he is so versatile. These first two games may be bigger competition than we led ourselves to believe.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 02:50 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Meaning exactly what??

It seems easy to figure out. Until/Unless you get a DC who has moxie and who has a personality that permeates through the entire defense, then its up to the players to change the atmosphere to 11 badasses walking on the field with the mentality of: "We don't give up yards-ever".

Then go out and make it happen...

I love this. Yes.

I will kindly disagree with the bolded. Tackling was a problem long before ZT and crew got here. As a matter of fact, we were praising the tackling and how refreshing it was after the Seattle game #1 last year. It slowly declined with each loss. I chock that up to lack of confidence and frustration in the players to try and make big things happen.

Passing game has not declined. Burrow is killing it and the only other QB was Dalton, who threw footballs away more than Waste Management. That's a Dalton trait and also the result of inheriting a bad OL and injuries.

I won't argue with the rest because your valid there.

(09-25-2020, 04:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Even with 4 or 5 missed tackles Bates still lead the team with 10 tackles against Cleveland. I think that says something about how bad the front 7 played.

Exactly. Great point. Yet, for naysayers, we should look at what we have there right now. That DL is not 100% and when you let momentum through it, momentum is difficult to stop and missed tackles will pile up. Not trying to sound P&R but you have to build that wall!

(09-25-2020, 04:51 PM)J24 Wrote: Not disagreeing with that but if Bates is going call  everyone else out then he has to perform better week in an week out. No matter the circumstances! I have I hopes for the Kid.

I agree. And I think he knows that. Calling out others to do their job when your lacking in yours can be either counter productive or a mental challenge of calling yourself out. I think he's trying to be a leader and hold everyone including himself to a higher expectation. End of day he's right. If you don't perform, your not going to be here in ZT's locker room.

(09-25-2020, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unrelated to Bates or the defense, but more to your part about the offense and defense putting together complete games.  I certainly hope that Turner, Callahan and Taylor were able to get the OL calmed down, and that 10 days of practice has Fred Johnson feeling a little more comfortable and settled at RG.  It was obvious that he whiffed on several plays last Thursday.  That has to be a bit unnerving, especially after we saw that he can hold his own at Tackle last season.  I don't think that FJ is physically incapable of playing the position, as much as he was just thrown in there and seemed a bit confused.

I've been clinging to this. To lose on Sunday and then to travel on Wednesday to play Thursday is tough. Theirs no emtional high from the 1st victory to get you over the hump and you surely haven't had the time to prepare and regroup. Hell, I think that's true even for the coaching staff.

(09-25-2020, 07:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, it was one game against the Browns with their good OL and badazz RB duo.

Browns suck and we are going to put their heads through the wall in week 7. Bet on it!  Cool

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 07:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I love this. Yes.

I will kindly disagree with the bolded. Tackling was a problem long before ZT and crew got here. As a matter of fact, we were praising the tackling and how refreshing it was after the Seattle game #1 last year. It slowly declined with each loss. I chock that up to lack of confidence and frustration in the players to try and make big things happen.

Passing game has not declined. Burrow is killing it and the only other QB was Dalton, who threw footballs away more than Waste Management. That's a Dalton trait and also the result of inheriting a bad OL and injuries.

I won't argue with the rest because your valid there.

Exactly. Great point. Yet, for naysayers, we should look at what we have there right now. That DL is not 100% and when you let momentum through it, momentum is difficult to stop and missed tackles will pile up. Not trying to sound P&R but you have to build that wall!

I agree. And I think he knows that. Calling out others to do their job when your lacking in yours can be either counter productive or a mental challenge of calling yourself out. I think he's trying to be a leader and hold everyone including himself to a higher expectation. End of day he's right. If you don't perform, your not going to be here in ZT's locker room.

I've been clinging to this. To lose on Sunday and then to travel on Wednesday to play Thursday is tough. Theirs no emtional high from the 1st victory to get you over the hump and you surely haven't had the time to prepare and regroup. Hell, I think that's true even for the coaching staff.

Browns suck and we are going to put their heads through the wall in week 7. Bet on it!  Cool

Love this beautiful way, this be the Dog and drink a brewskie for me my friend.Cheers

And of course for Chey.Drunk
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 04:51 PM)J24 Wrote: Not disagreeing with that but if Bates is going call  everyone else out then he has to perform better week in an week out. No matter the circumstances! I have I hopes for the Kid.

Where did he call others out?  All he did was relay what was said a reporter, presumably in response to a question.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2020, 03:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. But when we promoted him here, he shone.
2. That is completely irrelevant; we had the #2 scoring defense in 2015 and really good Ds in 2016 and 2017.

When we promote from within, it's 50/50.

If we talk about people getting bigger jobs with other teams, almost all of them have failed (mainly due to the fact that not every good coordinator is a good HC).
100% agree. However, 100% of good coordinators are confident they will make good HC's...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 03:20 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The thing that is frustrating is that he shows so many good flashes nut then puts on a stinker like Thursday! 

Remember the defensive pressure against Seattle in week 1 and then getting ran all over week 2?  I am starting to question ZTs conditioning of his guys.  Short week made it even worse.  Doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you are all healthy week 1 if you aren't prepared to play worth a damn.  
Reply/Quote
How embarrassing would it be to watch Burrow balling out and doing amazing stuff and then sabotage that with your awful play on defense. They absolutely should be out there playing like their careers depend on it today. It does.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:55 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: How embarrassing would it be to watch Burrow balling out and doing amazing stuff and then sabotage that with your embarrassing play on defense. They absolutely better out there playing like their careers depend on it today. It does.

This is very well stated but your signature quote amazed me. Is it true Joe Burrow was hit more on Thursday night than in all of 2019? If that’s true every Bengal offensive lineman needs to read it and elevate their play.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 12:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is very well stated but your signature quote amazed me.  Is it true Joe Burrow was hit more on Thursday night than in all of 2019?  If that’s true every Bengal offensive lineman needs to read it and elevate their play.

Yeah it is. He's touched 20 times a game in the first two games. 10 legit hits per game. Today was better but that one hit looked like it will leave some damage. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but it can be instructive as well. I now know it would've been better to sit Burrow for a year and keep Dalton on the roster while we fixed our Oline and improved our defense.  

Reply/Quote