Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals want to make Mixon the “Bell cow” back
Still need better run blocking up front. I say start Gio and wear down the opposing defense and use Mixon more in the 2nd half for his "Knockout punch".
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 08:09 PM)Trademark Wrote: Bengals player personnel director Duke Tobin said that Mixon will be the lead running back next season, and they plan to lean on him heavily. This isn't a surprise considering Mixon began getting double-digit carries when Jeremy Hill went on injured reserve late in the season. It does essentially seal Hill's imminent departure, however. Hill will be a free agent in March, and has already posted his goodbyes to Cincinnati on social media. He was not even mentioned during Tobin's news conference at the NFL scouting combine Wednesday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/29659/bengals-plan-to-make-joe-mixon-the-bell-cow-running-back-in-2018

First, I don't think very much of Duke Tobin.  Show me his play-off wins or Super Bowls anywhere.  I see no reason to be impressed by Duke Tobin so far.  

As for Bell Cow, I noticed most NFL Super Bowl type teams don't have a Bell Cow.  What Eagles and other teams use is a stable of running backs.  Teams have a good 3 yards and a cloud of dust type, a big run type and a pass catcher type all on same team. Not just Eagles, but Bears with their Bell Cow mix in the pass catcher. Redskins mix in runners and pass catchers. Saints mix it up, so do Jaguars and Steelers even with Bell.  Mixon has yet to prove he is a Bell Cow. Is Bernard back with Bengals, because often he looked like Bengals best back in 2017.  Bengals need 3 or 4 good running backs. I'm noticing more and more the play-off teams have a Stable Of Running Backs such as Super Bowl Champ Eagles.  Patriots use a stable of running backs.  Some of the best Bengals teams ever had a stable of running backs such as 1988.  

Now I'm not knocking Mixon. He is still being based on potential, not production though. In 2018, we will need much more than Mixon if winning is the goal. We need Mixon, Bernard and maybe somebody to step up and be better than both of them.  If the Bears are taking that monster Howard out and putting in other running backs, you know today's NFL is about a stable of backs.  Eagles had running backs and were already being considered Super Bowl, but they added Ajaya from Dolphins. Still, he did not come in and get all the carries. Using 3 or 4 runners got them a Super Bowl. They had great runners, but not one the Bell Cow. 

So I don't agree with Tobin that we need a Bell Cow. I would hope Tobin stays out of these coaches way and lets them draft and coach. Tobin and Bengals have been making some draft picks the coaches haven't agreed with and the picks not all that great. I want to see Lasor and Austin in their first free agency and draft with Bengals have more input than Tobin.  Also our new O Line coach from Dallas.  Unlike Tobin, Austin has play-off wins and Super Bowls. We brought in some good coaches and maybe Bengals Front Office needs to stop gumming up the works because what Bengals Front Office has been doing isn't working. No play-off wins since 1990 season before Paul Brown died not working. I'm hoping for LESS TOBIN and MORE OF THESE COACHES DECIDING THINGS. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Gio will still get plenty of work. He’s more of a pass back in Marvin’s scheme. Predictable, but is what it is.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 04:47 AM)kevin Wrote: As for Bell Cow, I noticed most NFL Super Bowl type teams don't have a Bell Cow.  What Eagles and other teams use is a stable of running backs.  Teams have a good 3 yards and a cloud of dust type, a big run type and a pass catcher type all on same team. Not just Eagles, but Bears with their Bell Cow mix in the pass catcher. Redskins mix in runners and pass catchers. Saints mix it up, so do Jaguars and Steelers even with Bell.  Mixon has yet to prove he is a Bell Cow. Is Bernard back with Bengals, because often he looked like Bengals best back in 2017.  Bengals need 3 or 4 good running backs. I'm noticing more and more the play-off teams have a Stable Of Running Backs such as Super Bowl Champ Eagles.  Patriots use a stable of running backs.  Some of the best Bengals teams ever had a stable of running backs such as 1988.  

In general I agree with your point.  Most teams use at least 2 main backs.  But I want to point out that Le'Veon Bell had over 400 touches last year.  He led the league with 321 carries and added 85 receptions.  That is too much.  Generally a RBs production will drop the year after he has more than 400 touches.  So stay away from Bell in your fantasy drafts.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 08:23 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm not even going to touch this remark.   Hilarious

[Image: XBej4.gif]
Reply/Quote
Over the last 6 games (when Lazor forced a blocking scheme switch), Mixon averaged 5.0 YPC and Gio averaged 4.7.

We've seen Gio for 5 years now. He is what he is. Great in spurts, but can't handle the full load over the course of 16 games. I'm not just talking about injuries, I'm also talking about his effectiveness. I kinda like him getting around 150 touches per year anyway, as it should extend his career.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:38 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Both Gio and Mixon should be getting  considerable touches this year.

That's going out on a limb!! LMAO
Reply/Quote
Just out of curiosity, anyone know why the primary featured running back is called the "Bell Cow"?

How did that reference to a female bovine ever get started? Hmm

Wouldn't a name associated with something a bit more fast and aggressive be more appropriate? Like "Charging Bull", for example.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think giving Mixon 20+ carries should be fine as long as Gio is still getting 10-15 touches. However, the only way I see that happening (especially with the current state of the Bengals OL) is to use Gio more as a receiver with Mixon also on the field. But with the state of the pass catchers on this team, I'd be in favor of getting both Gio and Mixon on the field at the same time.

EDIT - Good tandem to mimic for the above idea is Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen.
Jordan Howard - 299 touches (276 rush +23 rec)
Tarik Cohen - 140 touches (87 rush +53 rec)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 03:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just out of curiosity, anyone know why the primary featured running back is called the "Bell Cow"?

How did that reference to a female bovine ever get started?   Hmm

Wouldn't a name associated with something a bit more fast and aggressive be more appropriate?  Like "Charging Bull", for example.

The only thing I can think of is, back in the old west days of cattle drives the lead bull had a bell and the rest would follow him. Dairy cows are the same way. When they are out to pasture, the lead cow would come in first with her bell jingling to signal the cows time to come in...
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 03:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just out of curiosity, anyone know why the primary featured running back is called the "Bell Cow"?

Wouldn't a name associated with something a bit more fast and aggressive be more appropriate?  Like "Charging Bull", for example.

They were sitting around trying to come up with a name when Le'Veon's Mom walked in????
Reply/Quote
I'm glad to hear it is an open competition this year and may the best RB win. Let someone earn the starting job rather than just hand it to someone during the off season like they typically do.

Out of curiosity, when did Tobin start telling the coaches who was going to be the bell cow?
Reply/Quote
Alright, it's a new season. The kid managed to stay out of trouble & get his feet wet last season.

For that, I'm gonna lay off of him a bit. The floor is his. He still has a lot to prove after getting rolled by a RB from Toledo, & Tennessee, last season. Much like Ross, he has a way to go.
Best of luck to him in the upcoming season.
Reply/Quote

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bell%20cow

Definition of bell cow

1: a cow with a bell attached to its neck; especially : a lead cow

2slang : leader

Cool

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 03:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The only thing I can think of is, back in the old west days of cattle drives the lead bull had a bell and the rest would follow him. Dairy cows are the same way. When they are out to pasture, the lead cow would come in first with her bell jingling to signal the cows time to come in...

Hmm, that's completely feasible.

(03-01-2018, 03:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They were sitting around trying to come up with a name when Le'Veon's Mom walked in????

This is also a distinct possibility

(03-01-2018, 04:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bell%20cow

Definition of bell cow

1: a cow with a bell attached to its neck; especially : a lead cow

2slang : leader

Cool

Ahh, sheddep!  You kids, with your fancy pants merriam-webster quotes...   Hilarious

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Smaller quicker backs like Gio can actually be very effective runnning betyween the tackles because they can hit the hole quicker. they just can't do it 20 times a game.

Throwm in the fact that Mixon is a very good receiver and we have a good situation at RB. We can run the same offense with the same tendencies no matter which back is in the game.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:46 PM)Millhouse Wrote: When they have Gio on the roster, Mixon should not be the bell-cow back.

Instead, they should be used based on what the situation dictates that their skill sets can exploit.

But if Mixon will be the bell-cow, Bengals will be idiots if they do not get Gio in the game as much as possible like as hybrid slot/te for example. He is too good to not see the field when there is literally no other proven playmaker on offense other than AJ.

Agreed...in reality I think, hope that Lazor will make sure that based on their situation they both get decent carries.

What annoys me is the anointing of Mixon as the 'bell cow' / lead guy especially when Gio continues to front up and generally outperform Mixon and Hill (hill rookie year as the exception).  

Remember Mixon is the guy a few games into his rookie year says he should have been getting more carries - how about he earns it like Hill did his rookie year and not feed the assumption its his to lose
Reply/Quote

"Bell Cow" is the the highest standard by which all others are judged.

That is why when a teacher adjusts grades based on the highest score on a test it is called "Grading on a Bell Cow".
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 07:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Bell Cow" is the the highest standard by which all others are judged.

That is why when a teacher adjusts grades based on the highest score on a test it is called "Grading on a Bell Cow".

Well, that explains everything.  And, here I was, thinking that you were going to give us a message in the form of a parabola..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ahh, sheddep!  You kids, with your fancy pants merriam-webster quotes...   Hilarious

Calm down Miley. You Twerked my interest. I had to find out.  Smirk

Reply/Quote