Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals who lost the playoff game but won at life
This act at the end of the game connects more to me than a playoff win.

Andrew Whitworth's response to being asked why he went back on the field to shake the Steeler's player's hands instead of going straight to the locker room...

When the game ended Whitworth was one of just four Bengals – the others were kicker Mike Nugent, receiver Marvin Jones and halfback Rex Burkhead – who sought out Steelers players on the field to congratulate them.

Then the massive Whitworth lowered his 330 pounds onto his knees near the 50-yard line to say a postgame prayer. He soon was joined by Burkhead, fellow Bengals Cedric Peerman and Vinny Rey and Steelers cornerback Ross Cockrell.

As he stood at his locker later, Whitworth was asked why he had bothered to shake hands when so many teammates had headed straight to the dressing room.

“I shook hands with them because at the end of the day integrity and character and who you are as a man is more important than who you are as a football player,” he said. “And in the face of a loss you have to man up and walk out there"
Reply/Quote
There was nothing that needed to be said. Rather that then an all out brawl...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Well I've got a lot of respect for all of those guys. Whits is a class act and we'll miss a guy like that when he's no longer on this team. Exactly the type of guy you want kicking around the organisation when he retires.

Only seeing 1 Steeler name in there? Yet 4 Bengals.... Yeah we really are much more classless.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 09:14 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Well I've got a lot of respect for all of those guys. Whits is a class act and we'll miss a guy like that when he's no longer on this team. Exactly the type of guy you want kicking around the organisation when he retires.

Only seeing 1 Steeler name in there? Yet 4 Bengals.... Yeah we really are much more classless.

Whit reminds me of Willie Anderson - Class act and helluva player
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 08:24 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: This act at the end of the game connects more to me than a playoff win.

Andrew Whitworth's response to being asked why he went back on the field to shake the Steeler's player's hands instead of going straight to the locker room...

When the game ended Whitworth was one of just four Bengals – the others were kicker Mike Nugent, receiver Marvin Jones and halfback Rex Burkhead – who sought out Steelers players on the field to congratulate them.

Then the massive Whitworth lowered his 330 pounds onto his knees near the 50-yard line to say a postgame prayer. He soon was joined by Burkhead, fellow Bengals Cedric Peerman and Vinny Rey and Steelers cornerback Ross Cockrell.

As he stood at his locker later, Whitworth was asked why he had bothered to shake hands when so many teammates had headed straight to the dressing room.

“I shook hands with them because at the end of the day integrity and character and who you are as a man is more important than who you are as a football player,” he said. “And in the face of a loss you have to man up and walk out there"
That's pretty cool...  I met Marvin Jones a couple of weeks ago.  He seemed like a good guy.

I have zero problem with those who went straight to the tunnel either.  Sportsmanship and decorum went out the door long before that game ended.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 09:14 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Well I've got a lot of respect for all of those guys. Whits is a class act and we'll miss a guy like that when he's no longer on this team. Exactly the type of guy you want kicking around the organisation when he retires.

They were removed from the field, presumably for safety.

CBS started to interview Ben but it was quickly ended to usher him off of the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote