Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals working out Freeney
(06-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Vanilla Heat Wrote: Harrison did exactly what the bengals signed him for. Too many fans who didn't know any better thought they brought him in to be a pass rusher. Wrong.

After guys like Manny Lawson and Lamur at the SAM spot who got pushed around and blocked by WRs, they needed someone physical who would set the edge in the run game. That's why they signed James Harrison. And he excelled at that. But lots of ignorant people thought the signing wasn't successful because he didn't rack up sacks.

Exactly.   Which is why he is basically doing for the steelers now.   Stopping the run.  Once he is gone they will get a lot easier to run on... 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Vanilla Heat Wrote: Harrison did exactly what the bengals signed him for. Too many fans who didn't know any better thought they brought him in to be a pass rusher. Wrong.

After guys like Manny Lawson and Lamur at the SAM spot who got pushed around and blocked by WRs, they needed someone physical who would set the edge in the run game. That's why they signed James Harrison. And he excelled at that. But lots of ignorant people thought the signing wasn't successful because he didn't rack up sacks.

Obviously a 4-3 SAM in a Mike Zimmer defense isn't going to rack up sacks. Maybe the way I phrased my last statement was misleading...I meant to say that Harrison's specialty was be a 3-4 OLB that could get at the QB. You're right that he was used as planned, but he would have been better utilized as an edge rusher (at least IMO).

Freeney wouldn't be brought in to be a 4-3 SAM, he'd be brought in to be a 4-3 rotational DE. There would be no confusion about his role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Let us be honest on his play while a Bengal.. he did not play that much when he was here and had limited impact.  
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 09:53 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Let us be honest on his play while a Bengal.. he did not play that much when he was here and had limited impact.  

he wasn't signed to have a huge impact he was signed to provide a little fire to the guys on defense and to be a run stuffer here.  He did have a few impactful plays in his limited time on the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 09:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.   Which is why he is basically doing for the steelers now.   Stopping the run.  Once he is gone they will get a lot easier to run on... 

Except Harrison has still reached 5 sacks per season the past two years after leaving the Bengals. In fact, he's had at least 5 sacks every year back to 2007 except for when he was with the Bengals (just 2.0).

He's had a higher percentage of snaps every season the past two years with the Steelers (43%, 55%) than he had with the Bengals (35%).

He's just flat out a better fit as a 3-4 OLB than he ever was as a 4-3 SAM.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Depends on what your definition of success is. Being a physical presence against the run is nice, but rushing the passer is Harrison's bread and butter and it does seem he could've been better utilized to take advantage of that. He did do a good job with what he was asked to do, so I don't blame him. I'd say he was a poor fit though, since we couldn't utilize perhaps his biggest strength.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 10:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: he wasn't signed to have a huge impact he was signed to provide a little fire to the guys on defense and to be a run stuffer here.  He did have a few impactful plays in his limited time on the field.

very few impactful plays.. and left after one year.. hmmm
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 07:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: very few impactful plays.. and left after one year.. hmmm

turned that browns game around with his INT
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 10:10 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Except Harrison has still reached 5 sacks per season the past two years after leaving the Bengals. In fact, he's had at least 5 sacks every year back to 2007 except for when he was with the Bengals (just 2.0).

He's had a higher percentage of snaps every season the past two years with the Steelers (43%, 55%) than he had with the Bengals (35%).

He's just flat out a better fit as a 3-4 OLB than he ever was as a 4-3 SAM.

This.

I was never as excited about that signing as many people around here.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 11:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: turned that browns game around with his INT

sorry one impactful play does not mean was really an impactful overall player..
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 07:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: sorry one impactful play does not mean was really an impactful overall player..

I didn't say he was.... I said he made a few in his very limited snaps here.  And  At the contract level he signed he wasn't brought in to singlehandly turn around the defense.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I was never as excited about that signing as many people around here.

The most exciting part about it was he wasn't on the steelers anymore...  And the potential of him playing against the steelers  which never happened. =(
Reply/Quote
Heart 
(06-07-2016, 04:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I didn't say he was.... I said he made a few in his very limited snaps here.  And  At the contract level he signed he wasn't brought in to singlehandly turn around the defense.

I undertand he was not brought in to turn a defense around that actually did not need turned around but he just never seemed to fit into our scheme,, if you remember he was signed for two years and gone after one year.. reminds me so much of the AJ Hawk signing.. both were expected to contribute more in snaps etc but for whatever the reason neither ever did.  As for Freeney, I believe if we/he does sign here, he will fit in a bit better and contribute more to the team than Harrison or Hawk
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 10:15 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I undertand he was not brought in to turn a defense around that actually did not need turned around but he just never seemed to fit into our scheme,, if you remember he was signed for two years and gone after one year.. reminds me so much of the AJ Hawk signing.. both were expected to contribute more in snaps etc but for whatever the reason neither ever did.  As for Freeney, I believe if we/he does sign here, he will fit in a bit better and contribute more to the team than Harrison or Hawk

Yeah....  Freeney would be in on sub packages where Harrison and hawk were only base package guys... (which might need to change if you run the dime or nickel more than the 4-3 set which is truly the base package lol)
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2016, 04:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The most exciting part about it was he wasn't on the steelers anymore...  And the potential of him playing against the steelers  which never happened. =(

I have a gut feeling Harrison just went back to Pittsburgh and told them all our defensive playbook/calls, but I'm sure most of the terminology has changed by now.

Knock on wood lol Hilarious 

I just can't grasp why we even gave $ to that douche Harrison in the first place, you think Mike Brown would have known better than to sign an ex-Steeler who hates the Bengals organization. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2016, 03:27 AM)magikod Wrote: I have a gut feeling Harrison just went back to Pittsburgh and told them all our defensive playbook/calls, but I'm sure most of the terminology has changed by now.

Knock on wood lol Hilarious 

I just can't grasp why we even gave $ to that douche Harrison in the first place, you think Mike Brown would have known better than to sign an ex-Steeler who hates the Bengals organization. 

yeah in retrospect it was a bad move but at the time he was mad at the steelers for trying to reduce his pay... we tried to take advantage of that im guessing but it didn't work out for us.
Reply/Quote
Per CJ the Bleacher Report named 4 possible destinations for Freeney:  New England, Arizona, New Orleans and Houston - with the obvious omission of the Bengals.  Freeman from BR admits this is a guess, but BR notes that Freeney was quoted as saying the following:

"Teams are in love with young guys," he said. "I get it, but teams overlook that young guys don't always live up to that promise. How many times have you heard, 'This guy is the next Lawrence Taylor' or something like that? Teams also are in love with numbers and data when sometimes numbers can't take into account the heart of a player. Teams back their draft picks because they don't want their drafts to be wrong."

All of this is hearsay, but if I'm the Bengals why am I waiting to see if Hunt and Clark are going to show what they have taken several years to prove they haven't got when we have a future hall of famer that proved just last season that he still has it?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 01:17 PM)3wt Wrote: Per CJ the Bleacher Report named 4 possible destinations for Freeney:  New England, Arizona, New Orleans and Houston - with the obvious omission of the Bengals.  Freeman from BR admits this is a guess, but BR notes that Freeney was quoted as saying the following:

"Teams are in love with young guys," he said. "I get it, but teams overlook that young guys don't always live up to that promise. How many times have you heard, 'This guy is the next Lawrence Taylor' or something like that? Teams also are in love with numbers and data when sometimes numbers can't take into account the heart of a player. Teams back their draft picks because they don't want their drafts to be wrong."

All of this is hearsay, but if I'm the Bengals why am I waiting to see if Hunt and Clark are going to show what they have taken several years to prove they haven't got when we have a future hall of famer that proved just last season that he still has it?

Bengals seemed interested...  Now we don't know what his side is asking or what we are offering in terms of length or amount.

There is a whole month to go before Training camp.   freeney will make up his mind by then.

As far as his quote hes just talking the NFL in general.

the same token you say give up on hunt/ clark for a 1 year rental... then hunt/clark are gone and so is the one year rental next year. there is a risk there and is something that should be considered... We know hunt was a project going in and he keeps getting praise every year but also has been hurt most of it. Clark I think has been more buried than anything but I don't get to see practices.

There is pros and cons to both sides. Every year its a gamble that a guy like freeney can still compete at that level the he did the last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 01:17 PM)3wt Wrote: Per CJ the Bleacher Report named 4 possible destinations for Freeney:  New England, Arizona, New Orleans and Houston - with the obvious omission of the Bengals.  Freeman from BR admits this is a guess, but BR notes that Freeney was quoted as saying the following:

couple things on the post.. maybe im wrong but none of the teams above have even had a meeting with him except maybe Arizona.. also he said he wanted to go to a Super Bowl contender, i don;t consider NO on that list and Houston is questionable, so not sure that lines up very well with Freeney and his wants
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 01:17 PM)3wt Wrote:  Freeman from BR admits this is a guess,

All of this is hearsay,

Why even watse your time on bullshit like this.
Reply/Quote