Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals working out former Steeler Mike Mitchell
So I guess my question is: Are we thin at Safety and D-line? Also seeing how it's early in the season - aren't there players on practice squads better than the free agents they brought in? I know taking players off of others teams practice squads winds up converting to draft picks - but it's early in the season and being 2-0 has already increased your playoff chances. Don't bring in scrubs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think our depth at safety has taken an injury hit if I'm remembering right....,
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 11:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: The main thing I can see with Mitchell is pay for playbook.  He knows the Steelers playbook and most of the players and coaches.

The only other real thing I can see is they want someone to lay Juju out.

Seeing the 2018 Steeler defense we don't need any additional info on their playbook!
Reply/Quote
He injured AJ and Eifert and called out Andy....... if we sign him, I don’t want to say I’m done or anything, but it will make me sick and I’ll find it tough to root for this team.

I never thought I’d say that......
Reply/Quote
eh he would be veteran depth on a very young Safety unit
Reply/Quote
Mike Mitchell can get ******.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 09:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Seeing the 2018 Steeler defense we don't need any additional info on their playbook!

ThumbsUp

They've used cameras for a long time now  Cool Is there something Mike knows that these coaches cannot figure out with the game film? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
He cant even make the Steelers defensive backfield. He is a thumper but a liability in the passing game. Can't see any upside for the Bengals by signing him.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 08:15 AM)BengalD Wrote:  I know taking players off of others teams practice squads winds up converting to draft picks 

I don't think that is true.  The only rule is that they have to be on your 53 man roster for 3 weeks (or at least get paid active roster salary for 3 weeks)
Reply/Quote
No thanks,

Remember James Harrison ? Basically useless while here
Reply/Quote
If only we didn't make the mistake with Eric Reid.. still a really good safety just sitting out there.

No thanks on Mitchell. I understand adding veteran depth, but I don't think he brings any leadership, just baggage.
Reply/Quote
:paul:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Wow, never saw this board with everyone agreeing!! Might as well put me down for a big NO!
Reply/Quote
Oh please no!...on the bright side, I guess Shawn Williams won’t be the dirtiest player on the team anymore if we sign Mitchell.
Reply/Quote
It'll NEVER happen. We don't need shit like that in our locker room.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that is true.  The only rule is that they have to be on your 53 man roster for 3 weeks (or at least get paid active roster salary for 3 weeks)

I wasn't sure - somehow I thought if you took someone off of somebody else's practice squad and they stayed on the roster - the team that lost the practice player might get a comp pick in return.  After seeing your reply I tried to investigate it a little and I don't see anything that supports what I thought.  Thanks for clarifying.  But - the other part of my post then is relevant that - are there not better players on practice squads then what they are brining in?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 08:15 AM)BengalD Wrote: So I guess my question is:  Are we thin at Safety and D-line?  Also seeing how it's early in the season - aren't there players on practice squads better than the free agents they brought in?  I know taking players off of others teams practice squads winds up converting to draft picks - but it's early in the season and being 2-0 has already increased your playoff chances.  Don't bring in scrubs.

Practice squad players are generally rookies and 2nd year guys.  A veteran who has been around the block will pick up a new playbook much faster.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 10:54 AM)thillan Wrote: If only we didn't make the mistake with Eric Reid.. still a really good safety just sitting out there.

No thanks on Mitchell. I understand adding veteran depth, but I don't think he brings any leadership, just baggage.

Another possibility is that with the Reid collusion lawsuit, they are just working out Mitchell for plausible deniability.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 11:21 PM)Whatever Wrote: The main thing I can see with Mitchell is pay for playbook.  He knows the Steelers playbook and most of the players and coaches.

The only other real thing I can see is they want someone to lay Juju out.

And our coaches should have a pretty damn good idea of their playbook too at this point.   

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 12:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Practice squad players are generally rookies and 2nd year guys.  A veteran who has been around the block will pick up a new playbook much faster.

A good point.

(09-19-2018, 12:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: Another possibility is that with the Reid collusion lawsuit, they are just working out Mitchell for plausible deniability.

Another good point other than if there was collusion - that's water under the bridge now.
Reply/Quote