Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengaly are FA once bit, twice shy
Odom was actually really good here before he got hurt guy was a Defensive player of the year candidate. He is actually a good argument on why the Bengals should go after free agents.
Anyways the Bengals have done a good job getting guys off the scrap pile and contributing to the team. Chris crocker, Terrance Newman, Wallace Gilberry, Cedric Benson, Reggie Nelson, Tory James, Pacman Jones, and Deltha O'Neal.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:27 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Granted, there have been losses, we've also had decent ones.

Deltha O'Neal had some pretty good years here. Especially 2004 and 2005. Then he started to age, but those 2 years he was really good.
Tory James was on the back end of his career, but also had some good years here.
Dexter Jackson wasn't a bad pickup either. Very solid during his time here.

Odom could have done very well. Sadly, he was tore his ACL. Through 18 games with us he had 11 sacks.

But, I also added the age of everyone that you mentioned. That's how old they were.

4 of the 7 you named were at least 31 years old. Including Harrison, who was 35, that gives us 5 out of 8.

I'll give them credit on trying with some of these guys such as Odom and utecht. But the rest were past their prime and added little to nothing.

Deltha Oneal wasnt a FA signing he was part of a trade...corey dillon i think
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 03:54 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Deltha Oneal wasnt a FA signing he was part of a trade...corey dillon i think

In April 2004, an unhappy O'Neal and the Broncos' 24th (first round) and 117th (fourth round) spots in the 2004 NFL draft were traded to the Cincinnati Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's 17th spot in the first round.

The Broncos took DJ Williams with 17 who was a good Linebacker.

We traded 24 to the Rams for 26.

The Rams drafted Steven Jackson.

We drafted Chris Perry.

Vince Wilfork went at 21. Will Smith at 18. Jason Babin at 27.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 04:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In April 2004, an unhappy O'Neal and the Broncos' 24th (first round) and 117th (fourth round) spots in the 2004 NFL draft were traded to the Cincinnati Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's 17th spot in the first round.

The Broncos took DJ Williams with 17 who was a good Linebacker.

We traded 24 to the Rams for 26.

The Rams drafted Steven Jackson.

We drafted Chris Perry.

Vince Wilfork went at 21. Will Smith at 18. Jason Babin at 27.

Classic bengals move....i screamed when they took perry
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 08:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bengals seem to get scared off from their own bad moves. For example, they sign an aging Lavernues Coles and an injury ravaged Antonio Bryant. They don't sign a WR of note again (LaFell) until they absolutely had to...6 years after their last decent FA WR. They need to stop being scared, stop bargain shopping 100% of the time, and just make some sound moves.

It might be moot point now though. Not only is this core of players aging, we're also still stuck with Marvin. I don't think a couple smart mid-tier signings is going to get this team over the hump.

Just for fun, here's some other big FA flops:

Ben Utecht
Antwan Odom
Sam Adams
Jason Allen
AJ Hawk
Travelle Wharton
Karlos Dansby

I'm sure there's many more. Lots of these guys were bargain finds. Some were just dumb signings. Odom was just a cheaper replacement for Justin Smith. Mike Brown just hates free agents. Draft picks are cheaper.

Coles was a bad fit from the jump. AB although seemed like a good signing until his injury issue started to unravel.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The real problem with free agency these days is the new cap rules.  Since teams HAVE to spend up to a certain amount, the contracts are getting out of hand.

A "decent" corner is getting $10 million per year now.  I don't blame teams for not spending in free agency these days.

On another note, it's too bad that injuries hampered some of those signings.  Odom was an impact guy for us and there's no doubt in my mind that Utecht and Wharton would have been good fits.

When the new CBA was created, one of the goals was to get veterans more money so we wouldn't see those huge rookie contracts anymore. However, the rising cap has allowed a lot of teams to hang onto players they normally couldn't. So now we're met with a FA market that's not as deep as it used to be. That's why we see some middle of the road guys get gigantic deals.

I would just like the Bengals to actually be players one year and try to get a legit guy, or two, and stop "waiting for the dust to settle" like we always here. Yeah you'll find a bargain, but you'll also find less talented players.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 11:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It all comes down to evaluation and Mikey Brown's insistence on only shopping the bargain bin.

There's so much film on these veteran players that I personally don't understand how the team can't sign top players and have confidence in those signings.
IMO, Mikey covets draft picks and doesn't want to jeopardize comp picks by signing a comparable FAs to ones he let go.

Bu then Marvy said something like, "We have 11 picks coming up and I don't know how we can use all of them." GEEZE, BENGALS GET A CLUE. STOP YOUR INSANITY!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 06:07 PM)Derrick Wrote: IMO, Mikey covets draft picks and doesn't want to jeopardize comp picks by signing a comparable FAs to ones he let go.

Bu then Marvy said something like, "We have 11 picks coming up and I don't know how we can use all of them." GEEZE, BENGALS GET A CLUE. STOP YOUR INSANITY!!!

Well, when they won't cut their bust draft picks they then don't have room for some guys who might actually develop and play better. There are good players all up and down the draft.

Here's how I envision a conversation with Mike Brown going on this subject:

Person with sanity says, "our prized draft pick from two years ago isn't developing and we've got some extra picks, so let's just cut our loses and get a couple young kids in here who might put forth the effort."

Mikey Brown responds, "Oh, let's see. No, no, no, the dead money on that guy would be $4.5M so we'll just have to hope he develops."

Person with sanity says, "So we're keeping him cause cutting him would eat some the cap space we aren't going to use anyways and we've already paid out the money so it actually wouldn't cost us a dime? In fact, we'd save money by not having to pay his salary this year."

Mikey Brown responds, "There's more to it than that. If we let him go he could sign with anyone and what if he gets a good coach and he learns how to play LT. Then what? I don't want to look like an idiot for letting him go."

Person with sanity says, "So is that why we kept Margus Hunt around for all 4 years of his rookie deal even though we could have signed Freeney?"

Mikey Brown responds, "You never know, Hunt still might develop. There's still a chance he could be even better than Freeney."

Person with sanity says, "Has the doctor been experimenting with your medication dosage?"

Mikey Brown, "Oh no, I take extra for good measure. Just in case you know."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote