Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bernard is the 13th Highest Paid Back in the NFL and has ...
13 carries for 27 yards and 3 receptions for 49 yards through 2 games.

When the Bengals paid him this contract, I think a lot of us thought he was overpaid. Some saw it as he was going to be used more.

Just another in a long line of overpaying mediocre players. I doubt another team would have paid him this much.

This has to be insurance for a Mixon holdout. Operating out of fear.

Here's the contracts:
https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/
Reply/Quote
And these are reasons that the Bengals always suck. It’s pure laziness. It’s so much easier to overpay the in-house guys and not worry about that pesky Free Agency.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: And these are reasons that the Bengals always suck. It’s pure laziness. It’s so much easier to overpay the in-house guys and not worry about that pesky Free Agency.

Yes - We see guys sign for a premium in free agency and are glad the Bengals didn't do that...then they overpay guys like Hart, Bernard, Webb, etc.

Webb is terrible. We have him a 3 year $10.5 million contract. He's played on like 6 teams in 6 years. Do you think ANY other team would have paid him that?
Reply/Quote
0-2. Let’s attack Gio?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 0-2. Let’s attack Gio?

Not meant to be an attack. It's a statement of fact. He's the 13th highest paid back in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
It’s not Gio Bernard. It’s not Joe Mixon. This offensive line is so bad they could make Barry Sanders look like Colonel Sanders: Completely chicken!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - We see guys sign for a premium in free agency and are glad the Bengals didn't do that...then they overpay guys like Hart, Bernard, Webb, etc.

Webb is terrible. We have him a 3 year $10.5 million contract. He's played on like 6 teams in 6 years. Do you think ANY other team would have paid him that?

There’s usually a group of mediocre guys every year that are making way more than they should. One of my biggest complaints has been that they could actually get a high priced free agent every year just by trimming the fat. I would always harp on them being cheap but it’s probably laziness even more so than being cheap.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s not Gio Bernard.  It’s not Joe Mixon.  This offensive line is so bad they could make Barry Sanders look like Colonel Sanders:  Completely chicken!

I wanted them to be more creative with getting Gio on the field with Mixon, but it looks like it's going to take split reps at only one position to get through the year if they keep getting mauled.   
Reply/Quote
Wow...13th highest paid running back and he doesn't even start! I wonder where he ranks in stats?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:46 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: There’s usually a group of mediocre guys every year that are making way more than they should. One of my biggest complaints has been that they could actually get a high priced free agent every year just by trimming the fat. I would always harp on them being cheap but it’s probably laziness even more so than being cheap.

People always worry about depth quality behind the starters.

It seems the Bengals have depth type players actually starting.

That's the problem.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't matter if we had Zeke Elliott and Saquon Barkley backing him up. It wouldn't matter what we were paying them, either. Nobody's running behind this line. Until the blocking improves, this will be the case.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 0-2. Let’s attack Gio?

I don’t think it was an attack. I think he’s saying that it’s too much money to allocate to Gio. They don’t have a line for any back to prosper behind and they’re not being creative with him.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:55 PM)samhain Wrote: It wouldn't matter if we had Zeke Elliott and Saquon Barkley backing him up.  It wouldn't matter what we were paying them, either.  Nobody's running behind this line.  Until the blocking improves, this will be the case.

Starting players like Hart and Smith should've been the first clue for faliure.

Glenn and Miller are highly underwhelming regardless of health issues.

Price better get his crap together.

I'm not real sure they had planned playing M Jordan but Boling blindsided them.

The blueprint for the line from the get-go once Williams was confirmed injured was disastrous.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s not Gio Bernard.  It’s not Joe Mixon.  This offensive line is so bad they could make Barry Sanders look like Colonel Sanders:  Completely chicken!

Actually, I'd say if our line is so bad that it is impossible to run that would mean spending big bucks on a RB would be beyond stupid.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 13 carries for 27 yards and 3 receptions for 49 yards through 2 games.

When the Bengals paid him this contract, I think a lot of us thought he was overpaid. Some saw it as he was going to be used more.

Just another in a long line of overpaying mediocre players. I doubt another team would have paid him this much.

Here's the contracts:

In fairness to Gio, if not for his blocking, Andy would probably be dead already.  Given the short lifespan of NFL RB's, if you get even a decent second contract, you're a top paid guy.  

The Eifert and Dennard deals are frankly both a lot worse.  Eifert looks like a shadow of himself and Dennard still isn't healthy.  They even knew Dennard wasn't healthy when they resigned him.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not meant to be an attack. It's a statement of fact. He's the 13th highest paid back in the NFL.

(09-16-2019, 10:56 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I don’t think it was an attack. I think he’s saying that it’s too much money to allocate to Gio. They don’t have a line for any back to prosper behind and they’re not being creative with him.

Attack may have been the wrong word choice. Gio is not the problem.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 09:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 13 carries for 27 yards and 3 receptions for 49 yards through 2 games.

Here's the contracts:

Did you happen to notice where he ranked in Fully guaranteed? It could have just been Mikey rewarding a loyal Soldier that we can easily cut with almost no cap hit if he doesn't earn the contract. 

Bit I'm sure Mikey appreciates your concern for his money. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:53 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: People always worry about depth quality behind the starters.

It seems the Bengals have depth type players actually starting.

That's the problem.

That’s a very good way to put it.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: In fairness to Gio, if not for his blocking, Andy would probably be dead already.  Given the short lifespan of NFL RB's, if you get even a decent second contract, you're a top paid guy.  

The Eifert and Dennard deals are frankly both a lot worse.  Eifert looks like a shadow of himself and Dennard still isn't healthy.  They even knew Dennard wasn't healthy when they resigned him.

The Eifert deal is fine. It’s a one year prove it deal.

Reply/Quote
With this line, spending even a dime on running backs seems pretty pointless.

I like Gio and am glad he got paid. But third contracts are a terrible idea for RBs. The position, as a whole, has a shelf life of approximately 1.75 contracts of value or ~7 years.
Reply/Quote