Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernard released
(04-07-2021, 11:05 AM)BurnsBengal Wrote: I agree with your last two sentences 100%.

However, if they respected him so much they wouldn't have insulted him with asking for a pay cut.  Again, protect Joe Burrow at all costs so lets release your best blocking back.  I tend not to be an over-reactor, but it really is tough to be a fan of this two-bit org.  I wonder if that money will actually go back to the roster.  Lolzzz.

Did they state that was their goal this offseason though?
If it was, they should/could have invested more into the OL.
They brought in a one-year stopgap RT and only re-signed Spain for OG.

Bengals now have the 4th most cap at $26.9 mill, according to Spotrac.

If they were thinking of cutting Bernard, they should have done it a month ago and signed a stud OL like Thuney or Linsley. They would have had the money for it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of this move given cap space isn't an issue, and it just seems like they were asking him to take a pay cut just for the sake of taking one. It's too little too late to add a player worthy of taking up the saved cap space, so it just looks like they have no idea what they are doing. Maybe they want to sign another corner. Burrow is so screwed.

Chase will be a good grab for our future franchise QB once Burrow's career is ended.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Sad day to lose Gio. He was a good situational back.

I like Larry Rountree out of Missouri as a mid to late round pick.
Reply/Quote
Here is something to think about...
Tom Brady is willing to work out new contract changes for the better of the team. Good teams have players that alter the original contract to sign other players.

Gio was a pro's pro. But many here thought it was a bad contract for his role. If I remember correctly, he signed around the time Hart was signed to the moaning of some fans.

No Way Mixon alter's his contract.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:57 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Seems like the rumors of teams calling about a trade were exaggerated. I wouldn't mind bringing him back at a lower salary. 

He asked for his release AFTER being asked to take a pay cut.  He'll land a gig someplace else.  Probably for somewhere between what he was making and what he was asked to take.

This move has been on the table since the end of last season.  Re-signing Perrine cemented it.  It was a matter of when not if

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:11 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not a fan of this move given cap space isn't an issue, and it just seems like they were asking him to take a pay cut just for the sake of taking one. It's too little too late to add a player worthy of taking up the saved cap space, so it just looks like they have no idea what they are doing. Maybe they want to sign another corner. Burrow is so screwed.

Chase will be a good grab for our future franchise QB once Burrow's career is ended.

One can only assume (or hope) that they are holding onto so much cap because they plan to use it for extensions of Bates and Hubbard, plus roll over some to really spend next year when they are (hopefully) closer to actually competing. But that's a lofty assumption/hope.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: One can only assume (or hope) that they are holding onto so much cap because they plan to use it for extensions of Bates and Hubbard, plus roll over some to really spend next year when they are (hopefully) closer to actually competing. But that's a lofty assumption/hope.

I think Bates will be target, unless they draft Grant who to me is an equal to Bates potentially.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Okay then...

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:53 AM)BurnsBengal Wrote: I think a straight up release is terrible.  Hard for me not to feel cynical about this and feel they botched it.

How'd they botch it?
Reply/Quote
AJ, Geno, and now Gio...all in the same offseason. Feels really weird.

Who is even the longest tenured Bengal now? Hopkins?

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:16 AM)pally Wrote: He asked for his release AFTER being asked to take a pay cut.  He'll land a gig someplace else.  Probably for somewhere between what he was making and what he was asked to take.

This move has been on the table since the end of last season.  Re-Perrine cemented it.  It was a matter of when not if

Yeah, when I posted that, the info wasn't reported yet about him asking for the release. Agree he'll find a landing spot and I'll be rooting for him if it's not in the AFCN. 
Reply/Quote
I am shocked by some of these responses. I thought even the Gio fans thought he was overpaid.

Mixons cap hit went from less than 4 million last year to about 8 million this year. That made it extremely difficult to keep Gio at over 4 million.

Before Mixon was injured Gio was only playing about 20% of the snaps.
Reply/Quote
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This is a sad day in Bengaldom.

Thanks for all of the great effort and loyalty, Gio. Your awesome Pass Blocking made you one of my favorite all-time Bengals.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:14 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Sad day to lose Gio.  He was a good situational back.  

I like Larry Rountree out of Missouri as a mid to late round pick.

With all of the needs and not enough picks, I can't see one being a RB.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:09 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Mixon will be released before his contract is up to go towards Burrow's non-rookie deal.  Also, the 4.1 mil money may go to Turner at Guard.  Just a thought.

I mean that would be nice.  Spain is great value at 1.2M but it just looks weird seeing a 1.2M signing penciled in to start at guard.  If you can land Turner, all the better.  I wonder if we will instead see a Hubbard or Bates extension before the draft.  

Go was a great team player, his blocking will be missed too.  Man I'll never forget that Miami play where he was Bo in Tecmo Bowl.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Okay then...

Right. Saving on Gio's number when they had over 20m in cap left and was in the top 8 of available space. 

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:05 AM)BurnsBengal Wrote: However, if they respected him so much they wouldn't have insulted him with asking for a pay cut.

It's a business not a charity. If Gio won't play a big role in Zac Taylor's offense he should be given the opportunity to compete elsewhere. I'm glad we're not making the same mistake we made with Dunlap.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:20 AM)sandwedge Wrote: How'd they botch it?

Not doing this finagling before the FA period where they could have applied his money.  Where is this money going?  They had plenty of cap space and didn't need to do it.  Guy is a leader and plays a great and necessary role with a huge nod to protecting Burrow...again they didn't need the space. I don't give a crap about the Browns making more money.   If they extend Hubbard and Bates I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I don't think that's happening.

Not to mention in the back of my mind continues to be the thought of what competent organizations do:
AJ Green, Atkins, Gio, Dunlap, Dalton.  A sixth round pick in return?

Sorry, I'm really not typically a negative fan.  I annoy my friends with "wait 'till next year"-ism and FA and draft time is my Super Bowl nowadays.  This move sucks, imo.
Reply/Quote