Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernard would have likely been out for the rest of the playoffs.
Gio Bernard would have most likely been out for the rest of the playoffs. After being knocked out cold like that, you don't just come back the next week. I find it sad that Tomlin, knowing it was an illegal hit, still threw the challenge flag.

Plays where a player gets injured by a potentially illegal hit should be able to be reviewed and flagged appropriately.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 01:34 PM)Froob Wrote: Gio Bernard would have most likely been out for the rest of the playoffs. After being knocked out cold like that, you don't just come back the next week. I find it sad that Tomlin, knowing it was an illegal hit, still threw the challenge flag.

Plays where a player gets injured by a potentially illegal hit should be able to be reviewed and flagged appropriately.

He threw the challenge flag like a drama-queen, too.  Welp, we had the chance to beat them on the field where it matters and we didn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yup. This is one of the main reasons penalties (or lack thereof) need to be reviewable. I think Belicheck was the one who proposed giving each coach 2 extra challenges specifically for penalties. Make it happen.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Judgement call. Once he catches the ball, he's a runner. You can hit a RB carrying the ball anywhere.
Reply/Quote
I also like how people are calling it a "fumble".. Yeah it was only a "fumble" because he was hit in the head and completely knocked out.

And ItsOdellThurman, you can't lead with the crown of your helmet to the other players helmet. In every situation, that is a penalty.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 01:47 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Judgement call.  Once he catches the ball, he's a runner.  You can hit a RB carrying the ball anywhere.

Nope. Leading with the crown is an automatic PF outside the tackle box. Runner or not. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 01:47 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Judgement call.  Once he catches the ball, he's a runner.  You can hit a RB carrying the ball anywhere.

It's not a judgement call. It was spearing. Plain as day.
Reply/Quote

No you cannot.  Please post the rule that states this is OK.  I'll go ahead and post the RULE that totally disproves this for you.

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

The play was a pass clearly well outside of the tackle box, and clearly in the open field.  Easy call the officials made a conscious decision to simply ignore, even after multiple replays.

Reply/Quote