Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes
[Image: 11742877_471957666303262_608641207716197...e=565C2F95]

All you have to do is close the income gap and people in poor rural areas with very low populations will have the same life expectancy as those who live in rich, heavily populated, suburban areas.

Probably nothing else related to this difference.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I had an old college roommate saying the other day how Sanders was really the voice of our generation....the vast majority of replies were..."uhhh what generation is that?"
(07-14-2015, 11:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: 11742877_471957666303262_608641207716197...e=565C2F95]

All you have to do is close the income gap and people in poor rural areas with very low populations will have the same life expectancy as those who live in rich, heavily populated, suburban areas.

Probably nothing else related to this difference.

What is your point.  There is a  proven direct correlation between income and life expectancy.  It mainly has to do with better health care, but it also includes factors like diet, access to exercise facilities, and murder rate.

So what is your argument?  Just ignore a problem that is shown to exist.
(07-14-2015, 11:54 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I had an old college roommate saying the other day how Sanders was really the voice of our generation....the vast majority of replies were..."uhhh what generation is that?"

The generation that has not been duped into accepting exploitation at the hands of the wealthy elite. 
(07-14-2015, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point.  There is a  proven direct correlation between income and life expectancy.  It mainly has to do with better health care, but it also includes factors like diet and murder rate.

So what is your argument?  Just ignore a problem that is shown to exist.

This...
Diet is a huge factor.
Most cannot afford healthy food.
Lots of cheap pasta = diabetes (and more)

The Kennedy's disagree.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-14-2015, 01:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This...
Diet is a huge factor.
Most cannot afford healthy food.
Lots of cheap pasta = diabetes (and more)

I keep hearing this, but I don't see where it's all that expensive.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-14-2015, 01:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I keep hearing this, but I don't see where it's all that expensive.  

Well...you must be doing better than I.
LOL

I'm not poor, but we still have a form of pasta 2-3 times per week to reduce costs.
I just had ramen for lunch.
(07-14-2015, 01:41 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well...you must be doing better than I.
LOL

I'm not poor, but we still have a form of pasta 2-3 times per week to reduce costs.

If you look at fruits, vegetables, potatoes, eggs, bread.  They just aren't that expensive.  And there's nothing wrong with pasta.  

(07-14-2015, 02:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If you look at fruits, vegetables, potatoes, eggs, bread.  They just aren't that expensive.  And there's nothing wrong with pasta.  

Most fruits and veggies are somewhat reasonable, but meat has went sky-high.
All food costs have risen, as fuel prices increased.
The problem is that they never fell, after the cost of fuel lowered, and they get bumped again with any minor increase.
I guess the only good part is that now the prices are on par with local suppliers and I can justify buying those local organic items.

I realize that not everyone goes shopping, but I assure you that groceries take up a larger percentage of a families budget than it did 3-4 years ago.

I'll stand by my pasta concern.
It is cheaper and most poorer people fill up on it.
We need the fats from the (now even more expensive) meats to balance out.
Being poor and filling up on pasta causes and unhealthy addiction to those carbs, leading to poorer and poorer health.

http://www.13.waisays.com/diabetes.htm

(07-14-2015, 02:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If you look at fruits, vegetables, potatoes, eggs, bread.  They just aren't that expensive.  And there's nothing wrong with pasta.  

The fruits and vegetables and bread do not last as longs as the cheaper processed foods.

Its a vicious circle among the poor.  The food they can afford needs to last.  That food is bad for them, but it makes them feel fuller.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-14-2015, 03:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Most fruits and veggies are somewhat reasonable, but meat has went sky-high.
The problem is that they never fell, after the cost of fuel lowered, and they get bumped again with any minor increase.
I guess the only good part is that now the prices are on par with local suppliers and I can justify buying those local organic items.

I realize that not everyone goes shopping, but I assure you that groceries take up a larger percentage of a families budget than it did 3-4 years ago.

Being poor and filling up on pasta causes and unhealthy addiction to those carbs, leading to poorer and poorer health.

From someone who is type II (yay genetics!  :snark: ), I can attest that your pasta concern is spot on.  Processed carbohydrates are worse for you than raw sugar as far as your A1C is concerned.  The first couple of years, I thought I was doing good by switching to "whole grain" or "whole Wheat" breads and pastas.  Wrong.  We now use spaghetti squash in place of pasta, and that reduces my carbs by 3/4....and what carbs are ingested are healthier and don't cause glucose spikes.  A lot of fruits and vegetables at our house.

Amen on the price of meat!  Even friggin cold cuts are ridiculous!  However, like you said, the gouging at the grocery has led us to go to the farmer's market for lean meats, eggs, and a lot of veggies.  Better for us, and better for the local economy to boot.

"Better send those refunds..."

(07-14-2015, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: The fruits and vegetables and bread do not last as longs as the cheaper processed foods.

Its a vicious circle among the poor.  The food they can afford needs to last.  That food is bad for them, but it makes them feel fuller.  

Why do they have to last long?  You buy enough for a few days and then go buy more.And I didn't even mention rice and dried beans.  Those last forever.

I get the feel fuller, and everything.  I'm just saying you can eat healthily, and it isn't this ridiculous price to buy frutis and vegetables.  Potatoes, eggs and bread.

(07-14-2015, 03:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Most fruits and veggies are somewhat reasonable, but meat has went sky-high.

I'll give you meat, but you can find some pretty good deals if you look for them. 

People from every income bracket eat pasta.  Mix in things like zucchini to add bulk and reduce the amount of pasta.

Now this is all do as I say and not as I do, but it can be done.

(07-14-2015, 01:41 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well...you must be doing better than I.
LOL

They make 100% whole grain pasta.

*insert Sanders joke about how having different types of the same product is bad or something*

But seriously, brown rice, couscous and quinoa are healthy whole grains at Ramen prices.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(07-14-2015, 04:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Why do they have to last long?  You buy enough for a few days and then go buy more.And I didn't even mention rice and dried beans.  Those last forever.

I get the feel fuller, and everything.  I'm just saying you can eat healthily, and it isn't this ridiculous price to buy frutis and vegetables.  Potatoes, eggs and bread.

Because the poorest of the poor are buying once a month with government subsidies......

(07-14-2015, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: The fruits and vegetables and bread do not last as longs as the cheaper processed foods.

While it is still feasible, have you ever shopped with 2-3 small children ?
Not to mention, those 2-3 loveable sprouts change their tastes every 2 hours.
A lot of the times, the fruits and veggies go bad before being used.
I know..... if they're hungry they'll eat anything.....
If only markets had day-care provided for shoppers.

(07-14-2015, 04:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'll give you meat, but you can find some pretty good deals if you look for them. 

People from every income bracket eat pasta.  Mix in things like zucchini to add bulk and reduce the amount of pasta.

Now this is all do as I say and not as I do, but it can be done.

I will agree we can ALL do better.
(07-14-2015, 04:19 PM)6andcounting Wrote: They make 100% whole grain pasta.

*insert Sanders joke about how having different types of the same product is bad or something*

.....not condoning, or bashing Bernie......but that is a total myth perpetuated by certain sects of the food industry to sell product to concerned diabetics.  Just ask my endocrinologist......I did.  Like I said earlier, I thought I was doing good by eating "whole grain", turns out, I wasn't.  I was eating as healthy as anyone could, following my medicinal regimen......A1C was still climbing.  After consulting with him, I cut out carbs totally for a couple of months, my A1C dropped three points, and I lost 22 pounds.  I indulge in "whole grain" carbs once or twice a week (usually oatmeal, and croutons in my salads), but that's it.  I've had a box of wheat crackers for over four months, I used to eat at least half of a sleeve of them in a bowl of soup.  I couldn't tell you the last time I had any pasta.......

(07-14-2015, 04:19 PM)6andcounting Wrote: They make 100% whole grain pasta.

But seriously, brown rice, couscous and quinoa are healthy whole grains at Ramen prices.

But those there are scary, foreign, so-called foods !!

Sarcasm
(07-14-2015, 04:27 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: But those there are scary, foreign, so-called foods !!

Sarcasm

45-50 grams of carbs per 3/4 cup serving......ouch!