Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernie Supporters and Bad Memes
(07-14-2015, 04:27 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: But those there are scary, foreign, so-called foods !!

Sarcasm

What about the Quaker Oats oatmeal guy? Is is as Merica'n as they come.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(07-14-2015, 04:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: 45-50 grams of carbs per 3/4 cup serving......ouch!

I appreciate you sharing your experience.
I need to start watching my intake better.
I'm 6' and around 290lb.
I've been a pig, most of my life.
I used to eat 1 lb of pasta, in one sitting. (disgusting)

On OP's topic, I don't know enough about Bernie to have an opinion.
I suppose I should read up a bit more, but I don't think he will be relevant.
(07-14-2015, 04:32 PM)6andcounting Wrote: What about the Quaker Oats oatmeal guy? Is is as Merica'n as they come.

He looks like a pedophile.
I'm going nowhere near that guy !
Ninja
(07-14-2015, 04:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Why do they have to last long?  You buy enough for a few days and then go buy more.And I didn't even mention rice and dried beans.  Those last forever.

I get the feel fuller, and everything.  I'm just saying you can eat healthily, and it isn't this ridiculous price to buy frutis and vegetables.  Potatoes, eggs and bread.

My wife and I both work.  She is borderline diabetic...I am in good health (knock on wood).

The way we get paid we have a check come in once a week.

We go grocery shopping about once a week.  For a family of four (plus our daughter's boyfriend a few days a week) its easily over $125 a trip.  And that doesn't include the little trips in between when we run out of that thing we thought we had or need something different we forgot.

Food still goes bad.  Even with the best intentions things don't get eaten in time.  Fruit, bread, lunch meat...whatever.

Potatoes are a good buy.  They last, they have multiple uses and are filling.  Eggs can last quite a while too.

So imagine the guy getting paid every two weeks, or once a month.  Whether they are on food stamps or working (usually its both).  You need something that will last a month.  Crackers, processed food, pasta.  Lots of canned goods.  Not really a healthy bounty to pick from in that case.

Add to that that most people are smart about their food choices because they need to be quick and cheap and you have a recipe for obesity and health issues.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-14-2015, 04:26 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....not condoning, or bashing Bernie......but that is a total myth perpetuated by certain sects of the food industry to sell product to concerned diabetics.  Just ask my endocrinologist......I did.  Like I said earlier, I thought I was doing good by eating "whole grain", turns out, I wasn't.  I was eating as healthy as anyone could, following my medicinal regimen......A1C was still climbing.  After consulting with him, I cut out carbs totally for a couple of months, my A1C dropped three points, and I lost 22 pounds.  I indulge in "whole grain" carbs once or twice a week (usually oatmeal, and croutons in my salads), but that's it.  I've had a box of wheat crackers for over four months, I used to eat at least half of a sleeve of them in a bowl of soup.  I couldn't tell you the last time I had any pasta.......

(07-14-2015, 04:30 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: 45-50 grams of carbs per 3/4 cup serving......ouch!

Your problem with carbs is from your diabetes, not the inherent evilness of carbs. Whole grains might not be the answer for your condition, but wholes grains are right for most people.

I had oatmeal and whole grain waffles for breakfast nearly every morning while I was cutting and lost just over 30 pounds from February to June. Putting aside that I probably shouldn't have got to the point to where I need to lose 30 pounds for my cut LOL, I've been eating an insane amount of oatmeal, waffles, beans, sweet potatoes and so forth the past 6 weeks and only added a few pounds.

Whatever has been working for you is great, but I don't want you to scare others away from carbs. It's definitely possible to cut fat without coming close to cutting out carbs from your diet.
(07-14-2015, 04:36 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: He looks like a pedophile.
I'm going nowhere near that guy !
Ninja

I'm pretty sure your av pic is the quaker oats oatmeal guy without his George Washington wig.
(07-14-2015, 04:53 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I'm pretty sure your av pic is the quaker oats oatmeal guy without his George Washington wig.

Nope.... It's Mike Vining.
One of the baddest men on the planet.
I just happen to love his smile.
ThumbsUp
(07-14-2015, 04:48 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Your problem with carbs is from your diabetes, not the inherent evilness of carbs.  Whole grains might not be the answer for your condition, but wholes grains are right for most people.

I had oatmeal and whole grain waffles for breakfast nearly every morning while I was cutting and lost just over 30 pounds from February to June. Putting aside that I probably shouldn't have got to the point to where cutting around 12% BF was 30 pounds LOL, I've been eating an insane amount of oatmeal, waffles, beans, sweet potatoes and so forth the past 6 weeks and only added a few pounds.

Whatever has been working for you is great, but I don't want you to scare others away from carbs. It's definitely possible to cut fat without coming close to cutting out carbs from your diet.

Right.....but you can get carbs from fruits and vegetables too.....carbs that break down slower and don't lead to blood sugar spikes.

I was headed for type II at some point in my life, it was pretty much inevitable.  That said, I have no doubt that I exacerbated the issue by over indulging on carbs from breads, etc.  Sandwiches were my go to, and noodles were a staple......we won't even get into the mass amounts of hops and barley LOL, and I used to smoke, which no doubt affects it.  My parents, grandparents, nor my parents' siblings have/had it.  However, it ran rampant elsewhere on both sides of the family.  I was unaware, or I could have staved it off by adjusting my diet.  My brother also has it.  Moderation is the key here, like with anything.  Now, granted, I have to watch the carb intake way more than you......but everyone should be watching the source of their carbohydrates, and overall intake.  An overabundance can lead to type II.

I played sports, I am 6' 2" and weighed around 210 pounds when I came down with it.  I played sports all through school, and became an avid hiker in college.  I even played intramural sports a little in college.  I firmly believe that my diet hastened my contraction of diabetes, coupled with a failure to monitor (I didn't go to doctors....no blood, no foul, bravado bullshit....I know).  I'm not trying to scare folks from carbs, I'm just making them aware of where they can come from, and that you might get more than you are bargaining for when you think you are eating healthy.

We eat low fat.....the unfortunate way I found out I was diabetic was by clogging off the circumflex at 32 years of age.  I don't recommend it!!!!!  Still, cutting out *processed* carbs from my diet 100% for a while, then re-introducing them to my diet at a far reduced value, enabled me to drop 22 pounds very quickly.....and 31 overall.  I'm back down to 218 as we type......I played football in high school at 200.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-14-2015, 04:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Because the poorest of the poor are buying once a month with government subsidies......

Their subsidies don't have an expiration date.  They may have to actually change habits and such to do it.  Nobody said it's as easy as buying a sack of White Castles, but you can eat healthily for not a lot of money.  I mean I just bought 5 good sized bananas for $1.10.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-14-2015, 04:48 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Your problem with carbs is from your diabetes, not the inherent evilness of carbs.  Whole grains might not be the answer for your condition, but wholes grains are right for most people.

This 100%
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(07-14-2015, 04:32 PM)6andcounting Wrote: What about the Quaker Oats oatmeal guy? Is is as Merica'n as they come.

Democrats won't buy it because Barbara Bush is on the container.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-14-2015, 05:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Their subsidies don't have an expiration date.  They may have to actually change habits and such to do it.  Nobody said it's as easy as buying a sack of White Castles, but you can eat healthily for not a lot of money.  I mean I just bought 5 good sized bananas for $1.10.  

'Tis true.......but bananas have too many carbs Tongue

We eat a lot of berries, apples, and some nectarines at our house.  I just assume that some of these folks are getting the check at the first of the month, and buying up their grocery budget then.  Some live way out in the sticks and have to rely on others for transportation, and that may limit their access to fresh foods as well....

"Better send those refunds..."

(07-14-2015, 05:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote:  I mean I just bought 5 good sized bananas for $1.10.  

Well, I'll bet you didn't buy them from a corner grocery store in the projects or a country store that is the only one within 30 miles.

The places were poor people have to shop often have much higher prices.
(07-14-2015, 05:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Democrats won't buy it because Barbara Bush is on the container.

[Image: barbara_bush_1140_5.jpg]

[Image: quakeroats.jpg]
(07-14-2015, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Well, I'll bet you didn't buy them from a corner grocery store in the projects or a country store that is the only one within 30 miles.

The places were poor people have to shop often have much higher prices.

[Image: 1397060482075.jpg]

Always low prices...always
(07-14-2015, 05:18 PM)6andcounting Wrote: [Image: 1397060482075.jpg]

They have cundishuns.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

There is not always a Wal-Mart in the middle of the housing projects or rural backwoods.

Also, doesn't it look like the lady in the striped shirt might be thinking "Mmmmm those children look tasty" Cause for some reason that little boy look scared.

Oh my..... the look of fear in that child's eyes !
Shocked
(07-14-2015, 05:20 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: They have cundishuns.

Too many of Wyche's evil whole grains.
(07-14-2015, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is not always a Wal-Mart in the middle of the housing projects or rural backwoods.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but the problem with one of the Walmart's in my area is that it is too close to housing projects and people keep getting their cars stolen. LOL