Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Besides DK Metcalf or Mecole Hardman, who would you have drafted besides Drew Sample?
Sample is only in his second year. I think he is coming along just fine.
Every draft you can find people that would have been better but ignore people who may have been worse.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Pratt grades out at 49.2 by PFF and just had a 36 grade against Houston. I don't know that taking Pratt in the 2nd Round and Sample in the 3rd would ease the blow.

Sample grades out at 59.9.

Yeah but for one reason or another we couldn't take Metcalf in this exercise... So maybe Pratt?

I don't remember... Why the hell did DK Metcalf slip in that draft again? Was it the ol "he runs real good in a straight line" thing? It is amazing what these gurus will talk themselves out of.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:29 AM)jason Wrote: Yeah but for one reason or another we couldn't take Metcalf in this exercise... So maybe Pratt?

I don't remember... Why the hell did DK Metcalf slip in that draft again? Was it the ol "he runs real good in a straight line" thing? It is amazing what these gurus will talk themselves out of.

Essentially. Yeah...Metcalf would have been the obvious pick and I wanted him at the time.

You can never have too many WR's on rookie deals with speed and size. Could have let AJ walk this year and then spend the money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:29 AM)jason Wrote: Yeah but for one reason or another we couldn't take Metcalf in this exercise... So maybe Pratt?

He was the 2nd best WR on his team coming out. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:27 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Sample is only in his second year. I think he is coming along just fine.
Every draft you can find people that would have been better but ignore people who may have been worse.

He was drafted 2 rounds too early. You don't select blocking TE's in the 2nd Round. You just don't. I mean, he had 46 receptions in 4 years of college. 25 was his max in any year.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was drafted 2 rounds too early. You don't select blocking TE's in the 2nd Round. You just don't. I mean, he had 46 receptions in 4 years of college. 25 was his max in any year.

George Kittle had 48 in college. 22 was his max in any year. 

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 12:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: George Kittle had 48 in college. 22 was his max in any year. 

Doesn’t really help the argument considering Kittle went in the 5th round...

He also had twice as many TD’s as Sample in college.

Reply/Quote
Great thread! Interesting question. TE was a bigger need at the time than WR. It makes sense they picked him.

Miles Sanders is great and all, but how many RBs can we carry?

The obvious answer would be one of the WRs: Diontae Johnson or Metcalf.

Looking at that draft there weren't a lot of studs drafted between our Sample pick, and Pratt in the 3rd round.
I suppose one of the above-mentioned wideouts. But then you're left with nobody at tight end.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t really help the argument considering Kittle went in the 5th round...

He also had twice as many TD’s as Sample in college.

Yeah. but when folks see traits in a college QB they saw in Brady, it doesn't mean they wait until the 6th round to draft him.

Reply/Quote
This was a pretty underwhelming draft overall. Top heavy for sure, but not much depth to it.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:25 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Great thread! Interesting question. TE was a bigger need at the time than WR. It makes sense they picked him.

Looking at that draft there weren't a lot of studs drafted between our Sample pick, and Pratt in the 3rd round.
I suppose one of the above-mentioned wideouts. But then you're left with nobody at tight end.

It's funny we wasnt a need..yet the next year we had the same personnel at wr and drafted one in the 2nd Round.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:52 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: It was not an apparent need that we needed a WR and I doubt Hardman would have had the same success he has had on the Bengals. And for this discussion - trading down or up is not allowed. Sometimes drafts force peoples hands - I think peoples opinions about Sample would be different if Pratt and Sample pick positions were switched. And with that in mind, I am very pleased with Zac Taylor’s drafting so far.

First of all, I'm not exactly sure why you credit Taylor with the drafting. Sure he has input, but he doesn't make the call.

Second, the Bengals passed on trading up in that 2nd round to take a RT. They bulked at the 4th round pick asking price, picks they used on Renell Wren and Michael Jordan. A quality RT would have been the best move they could have made. Their decision was partially due to Taylor and his boys liking Hart, something that will forever be linked to their failure. 

Third, the Bengals traded down and didn't have to. If they had not, they could have landed WR AJ Brown, TE Irv Smith if they had to take a TE (6 more TDs than Sample) or C Elgton Jenkins who is playing G for GB and would have been an upgrade to anyone we have in the middle.

Fourth, even with trading down they could have drafted WR DK Metcalf, DT Dre'Mont Jones (who would be our starting 3T DT and Geno's replacement) or WR Terry McLaurin (who is everything John Ross is not).

However, I'm not sure if the Sample problem is really a Sample problem. Taylor is completely inept when it comes to knowing what to do with a TE, which is a shame.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 01:25 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Great thread! Interesting question. TE was a bigger need at the time than WR. It makes sense they picked him.

(12-29-2020, 01:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny we wasnt a need..yet the next year we had the same personnel at wr and drafted one in the 2nd Round.

I didn't say WR wasn't a need. I said RB wasn't a need. I said WR was a lesser need than TE at the time because the draft was before AJ got injured again in training camp. In the end it's probably better we have the tight end, as I don't know who would have played TE this year if not Sample. He's getting better. He's no rockstar. But he'll prove to be a solid TE. He can catch, block, do everything we need him to. Uzo is more of the receiving threat. It wouldn't hurt to get another TE, but we're not in terrible shape with Uzo and Sample IMO. 

We're not in terrible shape at WR either. I like Tee a lot. He's still improving. I'd probably take him over Diontae Johnson. Not sure about Metcalf yet. He was a beast this year. 
Reply/Quote
I like Drew Sample. He is coming along just fine. I don't understand why the fans talk negatively about him so often. I know many weren't happy with the pick but let it go and get behind the guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:01 AM)Burreaux Wrote: I like Drew Sample. He is coming along just fine. I don't understand why the fans talk negatively about him so often. I know many weren't happy with the pick but let it go and get behind the guy.

He’s projected to finish the season with 356 yds and 1 TD. And he’s been the starter since week 3. I guess some of us have different standards for “coming along just fine.”

Is he a bad player? Not at all. Should we be looking to add a better TE? Absolutely.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:01 AM)Burreaux Wrote: I like Drew Sample. He is coming along just fine. I don't understand why the fans talk negatively about him so often. I know many weren't happy with the pick but let it go and get behind the guy.

Sample very simply does not fill in the blanks in regarding what is expected of todays TEs
TEs now are essentially expected to run the whole route tree and be able to  seperate past 
Guys in the back 7.too fast for LBers to cover, be able to break through arm tackles of a cb and be 
Able to withstand jarring hits from a safety and hold on to the ball.
When TEs are coming out of the draft its all about the mismatch they can create downfield.
The ability to block is just a bonus and really a,afterthought.
Most TEs are,asked to spilt out wide more so than lineup beside a TE.

Sample does really nothing special. He cant seperate consistantly. He cant come up with contested throws
Even his blocking isnt consistent. He gets stood up alot for a guy his size.
Hes not fast at all. You cant use him on a wheel route or even a post.

Jordan Franks had more atheletism than him.
Reply/Quote