Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Bengals Game Memory
You didn't have to be in attendance, but that was my initial thought. If you haven't been to many games, feel free to use any game you observed.

My best memory wasn't the Super Bowl teams (I didn't get to go to many games back then) and it wasn't a playoff game or anything like that.

My best memory was the 2014 win over Denver. It rained for a lot of the game. We were freezing, but we had made plans to stay downtown and went out before the game and had a great time.

When Dre Kirkpatrick made a pick six to seal the game, the place erupted. It was almost like "ding-dong the witch is dead" as everyone had seen Manning bring teams back in that very situation. Our hearts were in our throats before that pick six.

After all the celebrating had started to die down (about the time they were preparing to kick off after the pick six), they showed a replay on the jumbotron (is that an 80s term?) and you see Dre pick it off and it showed Manning's face up close as Dre flew by him for the score. He looked like "well, crap". But what made it so hilarious was my Brother-in-law's line when they showed Manning's face. After yelling "Chicken Parm you taste so good" to the insurance theme (among others) throughout the game, he goes: "I don't think he's on my team" in the Nationwide tune and I just lost it. We probably said that the rest of the night 1000 times and it never stopped being funny.

Oh, the game was amazing, and I laughed so hard my sides hurt. That's my best game memory...a close second was beating the Ratbirds after 9/11 the year after they won the Super Bowl.

What is yours?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You didn't have to be in attendance, but that was my initial thought.  If you haven't been to many games, feel free to use any game you observed.

My best memory wasn't the Super Bowl teams (I didn't get to go to many games back then) and it wasn't a playoff game or anything like that.

My best memory was the 2014 win over Denver.  It rained for a lot of the game.  We were freezing, but we had made plans to stay downtown and went out before the game and had a great time.  

When Dre Kirkpatrick made a pick six to seal the game, the place erupted.  It was almost like "ding-dong the witch is dead" as everyone had seen Manning bring teams back in that very situation.  Our hearts were in our throats before that pick six.  

After all the celebrating had started to die down (about the time they were preparing to kick off after the pick six), they showed a replay on the jumbotron (is that an 80s term?) and you see Dre pick it off and it showed Manning's face up close as Dre flew by him for the score.  He looked like "well, crap".  But what made it so hilarious was my Brother-in-law's line when they showed Manning's face.  After yelling "Chicken Parm you taste so good" to the insurance theme (among others) throughout the game, he goes:  "I don't think he's on my team" in the Nationwide tune and I just lost it.  We probably said that the rest of the night 1000 times and it never stopped being funny.  

Oh, the game was amazing, and I laughed so hard my sides hurt.  That's my best game memory...a close second was beating the Ratbirds after 9/11 the year after they won the Super Bowl.

What is yours?

I can't nail it down to one, I have two.

My first ever live NFL game was the overtime thriller against the Skins in '88.  Man, Riverfront was literally rocking.  I've never been a part of such an electric atmosphere.  It was so cold, your hot chocolate was just chocolate by the time you got back to your seat. We never noticed....

The second was the come from behind thriller in 2015 against the Seahawks.  We were in the endzone facing Nugent when he doinked it in.  I think that one is fresh enough in everyone's mind, it needs no further description.....except that I was sitting in row of Seahawk fans....lol.  Needless to say, I'm very glad I had my two young daughters with me to keep me grounded. LOL

In all seriousness, we enjoyed some good natured barbs throughout the game, but one cat was crying about officiating, and I was crying back....and he kinda sulled up when he saw the writing on the wall.  You could feel it in the air in that amazing second half, the Bengals were going to win that day.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 09:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: I can't nail it down to one, I have two.

My first ever live NFL game was the overtime thriller against the Skins in '88.  Man, Riverfront was literally rocking.  I've never been a part of such an electric atmosphere.  It was so cold, your hot chocolate was just chocolate by the time you got back to your seat. We never noticed....

The second was the come from behind thriller in 2015 against the Seahawks.  We were in the endzone facing Nugent when he doinked it in.  I think that one is fresh enough in everyone's mind, it needs no further description.....except that I was sitting in row of Seahawk fans....lol.  Needless to say, I'm very glad I had my two young daughters with me to keep me grounded. LOL

In all seriousness, we enjoyed some good natured barbs throughout the game, but one cat was crying about officiating, and I was crying back....and he kinda sulled up when he saw the writing on the wall.  You could feel it in the air in that amazing second half, the Bengals were going to win that day.

That Seahawk game is definitely one of my tops as well.  The only thing that propelled the Denver game to the top was that it was in primetime, and the "I don't think he's on my team" after the pick still makes me chuckle.  
Reply/Quote
2005 game up in Pittsburgh. I was there to see the tears flowing. It was the game that basically won the North for us and at the time I thought might knocked Pitt out. It made us 9-3 at the time and Pitt 7-5 with 4 games left. This was the first year the Bengals were good in a long time. It felt like we were turning the corner.

Unfortunately, the best game was followed up with the worst game a few weeks later and the rest is history.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 09:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That Seahawk game is definitely one of my tops as well.  The only thing that propelled the Denver game to the top was that it was in primetime, and the "I don't think he's on my team" after the pick still makes me chuckle.  

Smirk That was a great game as well.  Had I been there, it would definitely be on my list.  I am spoiled....my first game was during a Super Bowl run, and it was one of the best games of that season.  We sealed homefield advantage that day, Welcome to the Jungle was a new release....they were constantly blaring over the PA....not an empty seat anywhere....what a great time we had that day.

EDIT:.....a funny story was the Jets playoff loss. My brother in law broke my friend's pinky high-fiving, and I fell UP an escalator in the Club Level....lol

Reply/Quote
I, like a few before me, really enjoyed the Broncos and Seahawks games. My brother and I were hoping that the Broncos game was Dre's coming out party. Obviously it took a little longer, but I think he is solid now. I loved the Seahawks game because even though we were down 17 going into the 4th and not a single team had ever come back from that, my brother and I refused to say it was over. And what we got sure was a treat.

I remember watching the game that we stomped the Jets 49-9.
The game we beat the Bears 45-10 and Ced almost got 200 yards on the ground.
I remember beating the Patriots and stopping Tom Brady's streak of throwing at least 1 TD in a game.
The crazy Packers game when both teams turned the ball over like 4 times each.
That wonky game against the Bucs when they lost because they had too many men on the field.
The Chiefs game from not too long ago when they ended up kicking something crazy like 7 field goals? I was there to see that. They moved the ball up and down the field with ease and just couldn't punch it in. That was a great game to be at.

So many good memories of the Bengals. I'm more excited now that I am having a son that can grow up and watch the Bengals with me. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. Unfortunately for me, I got married the weekend the playoffs usually start LOL and my wife isn't a huge football fan. So the second day of our honeymoon was the Bengals playoff game against the Steelers, and man was that a crap show.

WHO DEY! :andy:
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 09:43 AM)rezolve11 Wrote: I, like a few before me, really enjoyed the Broncos and Seahawks games. My brother and I were hoping that the Broncos game was Dre's coming out party. Obviously it took a little longer, but I think he is solid now. I loved the Seahawks game because even though we were down 17 going into the 4th and not a single team had ever come back from that, my brother and I refused to say it was over. And what we got sure was a treat.

I remember watching the game that we stomped the Jets 49-9.
The game we beat the Bears 45-10 and Ced almost got 200 yards on the ground.
I remember beating the Patriots and stopping Tom Brady's streak of throwing at least 1 TD in a game.
The crazy Packers game when both teams turned the ball over like 4 times each.
That wonky game against the Bucs when they lost because they had too many men on the field.
The Chiefs game from not too long ago when they ended up kicking something crazy like 7 field goals? I was there to see that. They moved the ball up and down the field with ease and just couldn't punch it in. That was a great game to be at.

So many good memories of the Bengals. I'm more excited now that I am having a son that can grow up and watch the Bengals with me. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. Unfortunately for me, I got married the weekend the playoffs usually start LOL and my wife isn't a huge football fan. So the second day of our honeymoon was the Bengals playoff game against the Steelers, and man was that a crap show.

WHO DEY!  :andy:

Congrats on the new arrival!

Reply/Quote
Super bowl 16, the freezer bowl, and the bills playoff game. The drubbing of the cowboys. Saw them all.

The 50-34 loss to Dan Diego on Monday night football was an entertaining game to watch.

The cowboys game was especially entertaining. Randy white was one of my dads favorite players. We waited for his autograph after the game. He got on the bus before we could get there. My dad sent me INTO the bus to ask. He signed it and I left. He kept the pen. My dad wanted me to go get it and I told him no. My dad stuck his head on the bus and Randy tossed it at at him. I laughed my arse off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
My two favorite memories are the look on San Diego's faces when the Bengals Oline came out in short sleeves during the Freezer Bowl, and Sam Wyche telling Cincy fans "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati".....

Reply/Quote
You will need your "way back" machine for this one. Mine is a game in the 70's between the Browns and Bengals. Pat MacNally who played TE and was our punter at the time getting completely knocked out by Tom Darden, I think, on a pass route and still managing to hold on to the ball for 1st down. They carry him off to the sidelines, give the guy some smelling salts and send him back in! The way he laid on the field, all crumpled up, you'd thought he was dead. Instead he goes on to punt and I even believe he caught the game winner or some crazy sh*t like that.......

Living here in Seahawk country, the come from behind win a couple of years ago will also go down as one the best games!!! I wore a few of my Bengals jerseys everywhere for a week!!! I was very unpopular I might add!
Reply/Quote
Even though we lost in OT.  I liked the hail mary that bounced off the crowd and was tipped right to AJ in the end zone against the Ravens.  I'm pretty sure we ended up losing, but that was awesome.

I have many others, but I thought this one everyone would remember.

[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
For me there are two memorable games:
2003 Bengals win in Pittsburgh. I know they didn't make the playoffs, but this was the first year of Marvin Lewis' tenure, and after coming off of the 2-14 season in 2002 and seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel, the Bengals won in the final minute with a go ahead touchdown pass from Kitna, and finally to me it seemed like the franchise was turning a corner.
2009 Bengals come back to beat Pittsburgh in Cincy. The game where Carson threw the winning touchdown with 14 seconds left and the crowd went crazy. This was the season of the "Cardiac Cats" and this was one of the games that kept the clutch theme going. The season didn't end well, but it was the only time I ever saw the Bengals go 6-0 in AFC North play, and this game was a thriller.

Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here.

I also have a couple faves against the Ravens:
2004 Bengals at Ravens: Palmer rallies the Bengals from a 17 point deficit in the 4th quarter against the vaunted Ravens defense in Baltimore and essentially the Bengals' domination of the Ravens over the years starts here. This kind of thing just didn't happen to Baltimore back then, and to an extent even since, except against the Bengals, and this was the first game where the Bengals' offense with Palmer, Chad and T.J. started scaring the Ravens.

2014: Bengals at Ravens, week 1. The game where Bengals led until the fourth quarter, suddenly gave up the lead on a long td pass to Steve Smith, and took the lead back on the next drive with A.J Freaking Green catching a bomb from Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My two favorite memories are the look on San Diego's faces when the Bengals Oline came out in short sleeves during the Freezer Bowl, and Sam Wyche telling Cincy fans "You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati".....

Yeah I was at both of those games.  LOL for the Cleveland comment.   You just have to love Sam Wyche.   Genius coach and has always worn his heart on his sleeve.  He had no appropriateness screens.  My favorite all time Bengals coach.

But the best game I ever saw was the Freezer Bowl.  It's the best game the Bengals ever played.  Just kicked San Diego's butts all over the field.   I had serious difficulty leaving the stadium.   I couldn't only not feel my feet, I could not feel my legs from the thighs down.  I looked like Robby the Robot.

I was supposed to wait tables that night (Edwards Restaurant at 5th and Eggleston).   I went into the place and was just trying to warm up - and couldn't.   I sat in one of the rear dining rooms for about an hour.  They sent me home.  There was no business (anyone who was anyone had been at the game or watched it on TV).   After another half  hour I got into my VW bug that had a gaping hole in the floor boards (a true Fred Flintstone vintage) and no heat and drove home to my apartment in Walnut Hills.   I took a shower that felt like I was being scalded, made a fire in the fireplace and watched every replay I could.   I didn't get warm for another two days.

Best game they ever played.  We out muscled, out skilled and out coached the Chargers.  They looked like a championship team.   It filled the empty spot in the football pleasure area of my brain that has rarely filled been filled.

Who-Dey!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 11:35 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You will need your "way back" machine for this one. Mine is a game in the 70's between the Browns and Bengals. Pat MacNally who played TE and was our punter at the time getting completely knocked out by Tom Darden, I think, on a pass route and still managing to hold on to the ball for 1st down. They carry him off to the sidelines, give the guy some smelling salts and send him back in! The way he laid on the field, all crumpled up, you'd thought he was dead. Instead he goes on to punt and I even believe he caught the game winner or some crazy sh*t like that.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEGBmI7mUZY

That was 1980, the last year of the old uniforms. That's my most vivid memory, that hit over the middle. When they got McInally to the sideline and had taken his helmet off, he was as pale as a ghost and his head was bobblin' around like a bobble head. He came back in the second half and caught a bomb and rolled over the Browns defender for the touchdown. I still think the Bengals lost the game though Sad .  In today's game Pat would probably miss 2-3 weeks with the concussion protocol.

My best Bengal memory hasn't happen yet, waiting on the Vince Lombardi trophy. I hope I live long enough to see it; but if I had to pick something from the past it be the "freezer bowl" or when Sam used to run the score up on the Houston Oilers.
Reply/Quote
So many to choose from... But id have the Say Benson's Destruction of the Bears was one of the best games overall by the bengals I have witnessed.

Not a great comeback or a close game but we didn't punt until Jordan palmer was handing off the ball to a backup RB as we were up 45-3 at that point

And the 2 Ohio Shootouts with Cleveland as 2 of the highest scoing league games at the time. were probly my favorites to watch.
Reply/Quote
I have 2. #1 was MNF vs Ravens 2007 when Geathers made the game winning INT and then #2 was the Win vs. GB on the fumble return late in the game. I think it was Nelson that scooped and scored. We had an unreal 4th qrtr that game.
Reply/Quote
Corey Dillon's rookie rushing record for an individual game. It was a Thursday night game against the Tennessee Oilers (yes, Oilers). Light snowfall. Every time he ripped off a run they played Chumbawumba "I get knocked down, but I get up again..". That song was heavily played that night.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 05:59 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Corey Dillon's rookie rushing record for an individual game. It was a Thursday night game against the Tennessee Oilers (yes, Oilers). Light snowfall. Every time he ripped off a run they played Chumbawumba "I get knocked down, but I get up again..". That song was heavily played that night.

I was at that game as well!  The funniest play of all time happened that night.  I wish I could find a video of that game to share the fake punt ran by one Reggie Roby, who is probably the biggest punter in NFL history.  Reggie did a fake that I have never seen before or since.  He simply took the steps like he was punting it, passed it to himself behind his back, and took off.  Reggie got something like 20 yards on that fake punt.  I was LMAO watching him bound along.  I joked that he could have got more yards if he would have ran backwards and let his enormous ass do some blocking for him.  

If memory serves, he might have been the leading rusher for the Oilers that night.

Great memory!
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 05:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So many to choose from...   But id have the Say Benson's Destruction of the Bears was one of the best games overall by the bengals I have witnessed.  

Not a great comeback or a close game but we didn't punt until Jordan palmer was handing off the ball to a backup RB  as we were up 45-3 at that point

And the 2 Ohio Shootouts with Cleveland as 2 of the highest scoing league games at the time.  were probly my favorites to watch.

I was at that Bears game as well.  It was awesome.  I think of that game whenever I use the term synergy in describing what this offense could be. 

They had Henry taking the top off the defense, and Chad working every area.  Plus they had Benson hitting his stride and running through folks.  

Leon Hall had two INTs, Crocker had one INT and a FF.  As excited as I was to see the offense take off, the defense was finally really cooking as well.  
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was at that game as well!  The funniest play of all time happened that night.  I wish I could find a video of that game to share the fake punt ran by one Reggie Roby, who is probably the biggest punter in NFL history.  Reggie did a fake that I have never seen before or since.  He simply took the steps like he was punting it, passed it to himself behind his back, and took off.  Reggie got something like 20 yards on that fake punt.  I was LMAO watching him bound along.  I joked that he could have got more yards if he would have ran backwards and let his enormous ass do some blocking for him.  

If memory serves, he might have been the leading rusher for the Oilers that night.

Great memory!

I'm deeply saddened that I don't remember that. Roby was one goofy sumbitch.
Reply/Quote