Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Best Bengals team of all time
(10-18-2023, 01:35 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Nope.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Awesome team, no doubt. That said the 88 offense was light years ahead of the rest of the league. It was so good, Buffalo copied it and ran it to four straight Super Bowls. The league made a rule about their sugar huddle. They threatened to make them stop running the no huddle. If Boomer doesn't injure his shoulder, I think they win that game going away. Even with the Wilson coke bender and Tim's broken leg. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna go with 1993. New quarterback who finally had the job to himself, which left DCs around the league scrambling like chickens with their heads cut off. Backfield had emerged as a dynamic duo, running behind a line that was second to none. Had Pickens played the full year it would have been lights out- since we already knew how Query could singlehandedly dominate games. On the other side of the ball, we had just drafted Copeland ("Bruce Smith clone" as he was known at the time) to play next to Krumrie in the prime of his career. I can't remember how many sacks JC ended up with but suffice to say he took the league by storm and gave rival quarterbacks sleepless nights. We had a weak linebacking corps but our corners were spectacular, and had the Ravens not come around seven years later we might still consider the overall unit as the NFL GOAT. Plus, our head coach was really coming into his own with a new owner demonstrably committed to the product on the field.

We suffered some bad luck and fell just short of a Lombardi but I'd love a chance to do it again.
Reply/Quote
'88.

I mean they literally changed the rules going into the playoffs to slow that team down.

It didn't help we lost a player to a cocaine bender the night before.
Reply/Quote
To those saying 1988 without question, I think you're overlooking the defensive side of the ball. That group was solid in all three phases of the defense- much like it has been the past few seasons for the most part. The '88 squad had some nice individual players, but collectively they weren't impressive. To their credit, they did play good defense in the playoffs. If we're discussing offense alone, then I'd agree with '88 being the better team- primarily due to the running game.
Reply/Quote
I go with the 88 Bengals. Rookie RB averaging 5.3 yards per carry.

The 2021 Bengals team shoulda coulda woulda won. Picking Stafford off in the 2nd half in the redzone with the lead has to turn into a TD. That will eat Burrow alive if he has no rings when he retires.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 03:51 PM)tms Wrote: I'm gonna go with 1993. New quarterback who finally had the job to himself, which left DCs around the league scrambling like chickens with their heads cut off. Backfield had emerged as a dynamic duo, running behind a line that was second to none. Had Pickens played the full year it would have been lights out- since we already knew how Query could singlehandedly dominate games. On the other side of the ball, we had just drafted Copeland ("Bruce Smith clone" as he was known at the time) to play next to Krumrie in the prime of his career. I can't remember how many sacks JC ended up with but suffice to say he took the league by storm and gave rival quarterbacks sleepless nights. We had a weak linebacking corps but our corners were spectacular, and had the Ravens not come around seven years later we might still consider the overall unit as the NFL GOAT. Plus, our head coach was really coming into his own with a new owner demonstrably committed to the product on the field.

We suffered some bad luck and fell just short of a Lombardi but I'd love a chance to do it again.

I had forgotten about that edition. 

81 or 21. Hmm. 21. A heartbeat away.

The 88 team was more fun, but 81 was all around a better team.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 07:12 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: To those saying 1988 without question, I think you're overlooking the defensive side of the ball.  That group was solid in all three phases of the defense- much like it has been the past few seasons for the most part.  The '88 squad had some nice individual players, but collectively they weren't impressive.  To their credit, they did play good defense in the playoffs.  If we're discussing offense alone, then I'd agree with '88 being the better team- primarily due to the running game.

One thing though.... 88 had an intimidator at safety. Averaging out, you're probably right. The DL was kinda meh outside of Krumrie, Eric Thomas had a nice year. They were good enough, because the offense could explode at any time.....and Boomer won the league MVP. Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 09:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: One thing though.... 88 had an intimidator at safety. Averaging out, you're probably right. The DL was kinda meh outside of Krumrie, Eric Thomas had a nice year. They were good enough, because the offense could explode at any time.....and Boomer won the league MVP. Cool

Don't get me wrong, I adored that '88 team.  James Brooks might be my favorite player ever to wear stripes.  I do give that team a nod offensively over the '81 and '82 teams because of Brooks and the running game.  They led the league in rushing in '88 and '89 and finished top 4 or better in both '86 and '87.  People remember Boomer and the no-huddle passing game for good reason, but it was largely predicated on their ability to gash teams on the ground. That offensive line was one of the five best I've seen in my opinion.

Anderson won MVP in '81 for what that's worth.  As was mentioned previously, the '81 team shot themselves repeatedly in the first half of SB 16.  The '88 team unfortunately couldn't hold on late in SB 23.  Both terrific teams which gave us many great memories.
Reply/Quote
22 wins it if they don't call penalty on Wilson.

I don't remember enough about 88 team.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: How about that 1975 team.??

I actually considered that team.  Barely lost on the road in a shootout in Oakland.  Only 4 teams got in back then.  The Superbowl was a real possibility.  This was the first wave of the 'West Coast' offense in the NFL.  

Amazing note.  In a 15 year span the Bengals introduced the West Coast offense, the No Huddle offense, and the Zone Blitz defense.  This franchise has been far more successful and interesting than younger fans know.   The likely reason the early Bengals get no respect is 1) no Super Bowl trophies and especially 2) the reign of error under Mike Brown.  All those game changing innovations occurred while Paul Brown was still alive.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:52 AM)BRM13 Wrote: I actually considered that team.  Barely lost on the road in a shootout in Oakland.  Only 4 teams got in back then.  The Superbowl was a real possibility.  This was the first wave of the 'West Coast' offense in the NFL.  

Amazing note.  In a 15 year span the Bengals introduced the West Coast offense, the No Huddle offense, and the Zone Blitz defense.  This franchise has been far more successful and interesting than younger fans know.   The likely reason the early Bengals get no respect is 1) no Super Bowl trophies and especially 2) the reign of error under Mike Brown.  All those game changing innovations occurred while Paul Brown was still alive.

I’m too young to remember much before the mid 90s (akili, kijana, etc). The first taste of a great team was 2005 and I remember what section I was in on the deep bomb to Henry.

It took a decade later to have that same feeling again, and lo and behold it was the Steelers again when dalton went for a tackle after a pick.

I think the 05 team had a better chance as we caught the league by storm that year, but going through colts/patriots would have been tough.. however Palmer was an assassin that year.

2021 was a similar feeling to 05, in that we caught the league by storm.. but felt like the OL was always going to catch up, and it did.

2022 felt better as we returned all our pieces, and invested somewhat heavily in the OL. Had we not had injuries to the OL late, we make back to back SBs, but not sure we beat the eagles.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 11:42 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I adored that '88 team.  James Brooks might be my favorite player ever to wear stripes.  I do give that team a nod offensively over the '81 and '82 teams because of Brooks and the running game.  They led the league in rushing in '88 and '89 and finished top 4 or better in both '86 and '87.  People remember Boomer and the no-huddle passing game for good reason, but it was largely predicated on their ability to gash teams on the ground.  That offensive line was one of the five best I've seen in my opinion.

Anderson won MVP in '81 for what that's worth.  As was mentioned previously, the '81 team shot themselves repeatedly in the first half of SB 16.  The '88 team unfortunately couldn't hold on late in SB 23.  Both terrific teams which gave us many great memories.

Absolutely, and I certainly didn't want to slight Kenny at all with his MVP. I was just mentioning Boomer's MVP because they could throw the ball too. As you noted, that run game was totally legit, and set up the pass with Boomer's brilliant play fake. He was maybe the best I've seen at it. Agree about that offensive line too. Not only did 81 shoot themselves in the foot in the first half, they couldn't punch it in to win. Both were outstanding teams. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:52 AM)BRM13 Wrote: I actually considered that team.  Barely lost on the road in a shootout in Oakland.  Only 4 teams got in back then.  The Superbowl was a real possibility.  This was the first wave of the 'West Coast' offense in the NFL.  

Great call....and the league hasn't done us any favors in recognizing any of this. SF gets credit for the West Coast, Pitt the Zone Blitz, and Buffalo the no huddle. It'd be comical if it wasn't so sad.

Reply/Quote
I'm certainly going to give the greatest game in Bengals history..the freezer bowl...to the '81 team. And yet I still believe the '88 team was the best.
Reply/Quote
If I were ranking the best Bengal teams of my lifetime, it would go.

1981 Ken Anderson beating the Bills with the no-huddle and then out dueling Dan Fouts in the Freezer Bowl, to come up just short inside the 5 in SB 16.
2022 As others have mentioned, likely one penalty from going on to probably winning the SB. Last year's defense was tough.
1988 Boomer and that OL!
2015 Why the 2015 Bengals here? "Good" Andy was a broken thumb away from likely being NFL MVP that year. If he were healthy, I feel like the Bengals could have won the SB that year.
2005 Pre injury Palmer and a strong OL and opportunistic, turnover creating defense. If Palmer doesn't get Kimoed, they likely go on to win it all.
2021 Big play Burrow with a pair of deep threats for the league to try to catch up to. A lotta luck got them to the big dance, needed a little more on OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
'81

/end thread
Reply/Quote
For me the contenders are the 3 SB teams (1981, 1988, 2021) and a couple others. I think the 2022 team was better than 2021, but had worse injury luck. Which also derailed the 2015 team. I forget the year Palmer got hurt, but the best of thise years also has to be in there.

I'd go:
1. 1988
2. 1981
3. 2022
4. Best Palmer team
5. 2021
6. 2015 (Dalton at QB marks them down).
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 08:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If we leave out the teams that made it to the Super Bowl, I'd say 2005.

The O-line was awesome, top 3 QB, Best WR group in the league.

Bad defense though.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If I were ranking the best Bengal teams of my lifetime, it would go.

1981 Ken Anderson beating the Bills with the no-huddle and then out dueling Dan Fouts in the Freezer Bowl, to come up just short inside the 5 in SB 16.
2022 As others have mentioned, likely one penalty from going on to probably winning the SB. Last year's defense was tough.
1988 Boomer and that OL!
2015 Why the 2015 Bengals here?  "Good" Andy was a broken thumb away from likely being NFL MVP that year.  If he were healthy, I feel like the Bengals could have won the SB that year.
2005 Pre injury Palmer and a strong OL and opportunistic, turnover creating defense.  If Palmer doesn't get Kimoed, they likely go on to win it all.
2021 Big play Burrow with a pair of deep threats for the league to try to catch up to.  A lotta luck got them to the big dance, needed a little more on OL.

I wonder if the Bengals win a playoff game in 2005 if they go on to win more other seasons. It became mental at some point.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Bad defense though.

If we think our safeties are a question mark/bad now… my goodness that was horrible.

Kevin Kaesviharn - great guy, career backup, not great player. However he was much better then, drumroll please….

Ifeanyi Ohalete - may by the worst season by a football player they I have witnessed with my own two eyes. If we ranked all time bad bengals, he may be below kijana, akili and klingler.
Reply/Quote