Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best British Bands/Artists
(12-08-2015, 03:15 AM)MrRager Wrote: Radiohead, just to throw a name in with the others. I absolutely love them.

I really like The Kinks as well.

I personally haven't gotten deep into their stuff, but my father is a huge T Rex fan.

Finally, you can't forget The Police!

You guys are not wrong. How in the hell did much much great music come out of the tiny island. I really think it blows the American thread out of the water.

I only know one T Rex song, and I hope to God I never hear it again.  It just never stops.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was going to start this thread as well but thought it would be too difficult and time consuming to list all the bands so i didn't LOL

there are just so many to list....Zep, PF, Sabbath, Beatles, Stones, Elton, Bowie, Queen, Genesis....etc.

but if you told me you have one band you had to pick? it would probably be hard to pick btw PF, Zep or Sabbath. Not sure I can out of those 3
Reply/Quote
Nick Lowe. He may be the most under rated performer of all time.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
[Image: pink_floyd_wallpaper_by_zeozozolen-d5ld71u.jpg]

.....that is all.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
.......oh.....and Gary Glitter Ninja LMAO

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 08:13 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Can I throw monty python into the mix? If i'd have known you all respected us Brits and our history so much i'd have just made it a British love in thread Rolleyes

....of course we respect the Brits.  Just on the music front, if it weren't for bands like the Stones and The Yardbirds...and Clapton, the world would never have been introduced to American blues masters.  It's a shame their own country didn't even give them their dues.  

We won't even get into world affairs... ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Like some, I can't name just one as "best", especially from GB. Led Zep is one, but mainly for John Bonham's influence on me when I was a young drummer looking for my voice.

Pink Floyd's ability to take one on trips where no man had gone before really set them apart back in the day. Each new album by them was an adventure. Others gave the public similar experiences, like The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and Peter Gabriel's Genesis.

And The Beatles with their catalog of hit after hit, year after year. Their influence was massive at the time. The Stones as well.

Now that I've reminisced the days when each of the above became 'popular', I keep going back to one. The world would be far less cosmic without Pink Floyd, so have a cigar.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 12:38 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Like some, I can't name just one as "best", especially from GB. Led Zep is one, but mainly for John Bonham's influence on me when I was a young drummer looking for my voice.

Pink Floyd's ability to take one on trips where no man had gone before really set them apart back in the day. Each new album by them was an adventure. Others gave the public similar experiences, like The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and Peter Gabriel's Genesis.

And The Beatles with their catalog of hit after hit, year after year. Their influence was massive at the time. The Stones as well.

Now that I've reminisced the days when each of the above became 'popular', I keep going back to one. The world would be far less cosmic without Pink Floyd, so have a cigar.

.....you're gonna go far... Cool

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 11:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One Direction

A great British tragedy 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
Never been able to get into The Beatles myself, but you cannot deny their influence

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 03:15 AM)MrRager Wrote: Radiohead, just to throw a name in with the others. I absolutely love them.

I really like The Kinks as well.

I personally haven't gotten deep into their stuff, but my father is a huge T Rex fan.

Finally, you can't forget The Police!

You guys are not wrong. How in the hell did much much great music come out of the tiny island. I really think it blows the American thread out of the water.

Ah!

Forgot about the Kinks. Loved them too!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2015, 08:13 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Can I throw monty python into the mix? If i'd have known you all respected us Brits and our history so much i'd have just made it a British love in thread Rolleyes

IMO, you can throw Monty Python into every mix! Rock On

And some of us Anglophiles are available to discuss such vaunted topics as "Were Mortimer and Queen Isabella getting it on before they crossed the channel?", "The Stanleys: Changing Sides for Fun and Profit!", "Æthelwulf and how to whip up on some Vikings",  and "Oliver Cromwell: Reluctant Dictator?" ("I am not a dictator... but you all need to be doing what I tell you to do!!!"). LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 03:27 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: IMO, you can throw Monty Python into every mix! Rock On

And some of us Anglophiles are available to discuss such vaunted topics as "Were Mortimer and Queen Isabella getting it on before they crossed the channel?", "The Stanleys: Changing Sides for Fun and Profit!", "Æthelwulf and how to whip up on some Vikings",  and "Oliver Cromwell: Reluctant Dictator?" ("I am not a dictator... but you all need to be doing what I tell you to do!!!"). LOL

I Like Traffic Lights, I Like Traffic Lights, I Like Traffic Lights.... But only when their green

and the Lumberjack song...
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I Like Traffic Lights,  I Like Traffic Lights, I Like Traffic Lights.... But only when their green

and the Lumberjack song...

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/YPSzPGrazPo

A favourite of mine. Not the most well known sketch, but i'm interested to know if Americans have even heard of Barnsley, the real New York of England Wink

Reply/Quote
One more: http://youtu.be/l9Aj7W3g1qo

Reply/Quote
Wow....  This is really hard.  I'm sure I will forget a few.

The Clash (1st and foremost)

After the Clash in no particular order....

Beatles
The Kinks
The Who
The Rolling Stones
The Jam
Elvis Costello
The Buzzcocks
Iron Maiden
P.I.L.
Sex Pistols
Motorhead
Magazine
(early) Def Leppard
Led Zepplin
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Cat Stevens
The Police
Sting
Genesis
Peter Gabriel

Are all Great.

Then there are many more that I like to some extent like Queen, Pink Floyd, Gorillaz, Oasis.... There are many more.  That little island has produced so much great music.  It's amazing.

I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I find it strange that we can produce so much fantastic music, only for our national anthem to be so dull.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:09 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: I find it strange that we can produce so much fantastic music, only for our national anthem to be so dull.
The Sex Pistols did a fantastic rendition.... Smirk
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 11:09 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: I find it strange that we can produce so much fantastic music, only for our national anthem to be so dull.

And your foood from what I hear although Ive had a Christmas pudding sent to me a couple of times, and it is certainly interesting.  I don't drink so I didn't put any spirits on it and light it, but cream was suggested, and I found that quite helpful in cutting some of the richness. My mom and I are bith big fans of A Christmas Carol so it was pretty cool to have an authentic pudding.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote