Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Female Vocalist in your opinion
(12-18-2015, 04:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Johnette Napolitano from Concrete Blonde should be on any list of this kind.

Her name immediately popped into my head as well.

Also a big fan of Annie Lennox.
Reply/Quote
Two more I just thought of is Allison Krause and Lydia Loveless.  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
You guys have done a pretty good job of listing the greats. I also like the Carter Family, Martha Reeves, Mavis Staples, Darlene Love... Did anybody say Carol King?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Gin Wigmore is a good one.

Elle King's voice kind of reminds me of hers.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2015, 12:27 AM)jason Wrote: You guys have done a pretty good job of listing the greats.  I also like the Carter Family, Martha Reeves, Mavis Staples, Darlene Love... Did anybody say Carol King?

Turned into my neighborhood in the late summer and noticed a historical marker set up several houses down from mine that had been apparently put up that day.

It took a few days before I stopped to actually read it, but once I did I was surprised to see that it was marking Maybelle Carter's home.  I never would have known!
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 06:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: In the more "modern" class of Blues I'd put both Bonnie Raitt and Susan Tedeschi in this category.

Which I might add are also talented guitar players.  Bonnie sure can play that slide guitar.

For those of you who might not know who Susan Tedeschi is...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrSK-0-MQ8s

She's married to one of today's best slide players Derek Trucks.

Yes.....and add me some Emmylou Harris to this....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 04:26 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Whitney is probably my all time favorite. Alison Krauss is a close second. It varies by my mood.

Props to:
Gladys Knight
Aretha Franklin
Grace Slick (my favorite female rock voice)
Linda Ronstadt (she could sing a wide range of styles)

Janis Joplin (it wasn't what you would call pretty, but she could belt!)
Joan Baez (she did have a pretty voice)
Maria Callas
Leotyne Price (I had a master's class with her once, so she makes my list)
Karen Carpenter (people have forgotten what a good voice she had)
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Nina Simone
Barbara Steisand
Patsy Cline
Edith Piaf
Mahalia Jackson
Sade

and...

Madonna (yes, she actually can sing)

She's not one of my favorites, but a lot of people like Stevie Nicks. I can respect that.

Some of my faves too.....especially Aretha....I legitimately like a crap ton of her songs.....and she was killer in The Blues Brothers.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hayley Williams
Delores O'Riordan
Sarah McLachlan
Adele

All very good vocalists with alot of range in their voices.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 03:16 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: For me it goes,

1. Roberta Flack
2. Gladys Knight
3. Billie Holiday
4. Whitney Houston
5. Chaka Khan

I'll tell you what, these woman right here can just make you...what's the word...just can't describe.

This is easy--Linda Ronstadt, and it ain't even close.  She had it all--soul, power, sweetness, incredible range, amazing tone and the ability to cut across all genres.  She might be the greatest singer who ever lived.  It breaks my heart that she can no longer sing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Adele
Whitney Houston
Pink
Cyndi Lauper
Annie Lennox
Dolly Parton
Allison Krauss
Carrie Underwood
Reply/Quote