Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Guess 2021 Roster: Post TB game
So, with one pre-season game in the books, I thought I'd take a stab at the roster. Both in terms of a depth chart and positionally.

I. Initial Team Depth Chart

QB. Burrow; B. Allen; 3rd: Shurmur, Dungey
RB. Mixon; Perine; 3rd: T. Williams, Patrick, Evans, Pooka
WR1: Chase; Tate; 3rd: Morgan
WR2: Higgins; Thomas; 3rd: Washington
WR3(slot): Boyd; Taylor; 3rd: Irwin
TE: Uzomah; D. Sample; 3rd: Schreck, Wilcox, Moss, O'Grady
LT: J. Williams; Adeniji (OT/G); 3rd: Prince, Vogel
LG: Spain; Smith (G/OT); 3rd: Sutherland (G/C)
C: Hopkins; Price (C/G); 3rd: Hill (C/G), Gaillard (C/G)
RG: Jordan, XSF; 3rd: Carman
RT: Reiff, Johnson
------------------
RDE: Hendrickson, Ossai; 3rd: Bledsoe
NT: Reader, Tupou (NT/DT); 3rd: Shelvin, McKenzie
DT: Ogunjobi, Daniels; 3rd: Wren, Akinmoladun
LDE: Hubbard, Kareem; 3rd: C. Sample (DE/DT), Hubert
LB: L. Wilson, ADG; 3rd: Bailey, Jones
LB: Pratt, Evans; 3rd: Hodge, Bachie
CB1: Waynes, Apple; 3rd: Lewis
CB2: Awuzie, T. Brown; 3rd: Rose, A Phillips
CB3(slot): Hilton, D. Phillips; 3rd: J. Davis
SS: Bell, R. Allen; 3rd: T. Henderson
FS: Bates, B. Wilson; 3rd: Frazier
------------
K: McPherson, Siebert
P: Huber, Chrisman
LS: Harris
--------
KR: B. Wilson, D. Phillips; 3rd: Pooka
PR: D. Phillips, Taylor; 3rd: Pooka
H: Huber

Whew! Lot of typing! Gonna take a break & make another post about the TB game & how that impacted things.
Reply/Quote
Eh, I know you typed a lot but Adeniji is out for the year and D'Ante might of been our best player in the Tampa game
besides Ossai. D'Ante is seriously pushing for a starting spot and you left him off the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, I know you typed a lot but Adeniji is out for the year and D'Ante might of been our best player in the Tampa game
besides Ossai. D'Ante is seriously pushing for a starting spot and you left him off the roster.

I think he had Smith at backup to LG.

I'd like to see Moss make it at TE. 

I liked what I saw from Irwin at WR, would like to see him make it if he has another good showing.

I like Bailey and Bachie at LB if they can make it. Bachie looked amazing last game. He was a leader at Michigan I think.

We'll see how they all do Friday. Should be a good one. I decided to go ahead and get that NFL game rewind or whatever to watch the preseason games and be able to watch the games in full a few hours after they air. Thinking of maybe waiting until later in the day to watch some of the noon (1pm your time) games. I'm pumped the Bengals play the NFC North this year though. I should get a couple games broadcasted on the TV, starting with the Vikings week 1 (live outside Minneapolis/Saint Paul).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:57 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think he had Smith at backup to LG.

I liked what I saw from Irwin at WR, would like to see him make it if he has another good showing.

I like Bailey and Bachie at LB if they can make it. Bachie looked amazing last game. He was a leader at Michigan I think.

We'll see how they all do Friday. Should be a good one. I decided to go ahead and get that NFL game rewind or whatever to watch the preseason games and be able to watch the games in full a few hours after they air. Thinking of maybe waiting until later in the day to watch some of the noon (1pm your time) games. I'm pumped the Bengals play the NFC North this year though. I should get a couple games broadcasted on the TV, starting with the Vikings week 1 (live outside Minneapolis/Saint Paul).
I agree 100 percent. 
I'd like to see Moss make it and I think he has started to separate himself so hopefully he keeps up the good play. We'd get the added bonus of some Randy Moss love which would be good.
I really thought Irwin looked good and right now would get my vote for the 6th WR. I think that group is gonna be tough to make the team with only 2 spots available assuming Tate is the 4th. Hopefully he makes some plays friday. I'd like to see him get a chance to return some punts because that could be the way onto the roster.
Yeah and Bachie played at Mich st. I thought he made some plays and I thought we had alot of young depth players that played well. Hopefully they keep it up and have another good showing on Friday.
I think this game is gonna be another great test for our team. Washington has a great Dline and I think they're offense is gonna be good.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:57 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think he had Smith at backup to LG.

(08-18-2021, 11:05 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree 100 percent. 
I'd like to see Moss make it and I think he has started to separate himself so hopefully he keeps up the good play. We'd get the added bonus of some Randy Moss love which would be good.
I really thought Irwin looked good and right now would get my vote for the 6th WR. I think that group is gonna be tough to make the team with only 2 spots available assuming Tate is the 4th. Hopefully he makes some plays friday. I'd like to see him get a chance to return some punts because that could be the way onto the roster.
Yeah and Bachie played at Mich st. I thought he made some plays and I thought we had alot of young depth players that played well. Hopefully they keep it up and have another good showing on Friday.
I think this game is gonna be another great test for our team. Washington has a great Dline and I think they're offense is gonna be good.

Every report I've read lately from camp seems to indicate that Moss is just continuing to impress. This is starting to go from signing a guy to take a look and see if he still had chemistry with Burrow to a really nice addition to the TE room.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, I know you typed a lot but Adeniji is out for the year and D'Ante might of been our best player in the Tampa game

That is not my guess, that is the official depth chart the Bengals put out. 

https://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart 

I should have put the link in there. I just got tired typing the whole thing out. It does say "Initial Team Depth Chart." I guess I was not clear enough. My bad. 

As you say, injuries (Adeniji, Hubert, maybe Christman) have taken some guys out of the running. But I thought starting the thread with where the team viewed things at the start of camp was a good place to start. 

One thing to notice about the initial chart, is that all the undrafted guys from this year are lowest, with the PS guys from last year next. In some cases, those guys were ahead of late round picks this year (Patrick over Evans). In no case was there a roster guy from last year. The complete list of new guys who were top 2 is Chase, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Awuzie, Hilton, McPherson (all starting), Smith, Ossai, Apple, and Ricardo Allen as backups. All THOSE guys are FAs save for Chase, Ossai, Smith, and McPherson. Basically, the team's first chart was a seniority chart with a few notable exceptions.  

How much camp performances and the TB moved things around the fringes is the only real question.

I cannot really conceive of a guy listed as a starter currently not making the 53. OK, maybe 2. If McPherson tanks the rest of camp I could see us keeping Seibert, but that does not look likely. 

I could conceive of us only keeping 4 guards (Spain, Smith, XSF, Carman) and Jordan being out. But I think that is a longshot. Both backup Gs as rookies is risky and Jordan did well the first game. We only kept 9 OL last year, which I think was a mistake ZT will not repeat. Even with 10, those 4 guys plus Jonah, Reiff, Hopkins, Johnson gets you to 8. Backup C to 9 (Price, Hill, Sutherland). Jordan would have to lose out to another OT (Prince?) or the 3rd string C to be off if we go with 10.  

Gotta run now, will try to get my thoughts on TB game and where things stand before the WFT game.  
Reply/Quote
TB game thoughts.

The DL stuff was the most interesting from the TB game from bith a roster and performance perspective. Like everyone else, I was thrilled with the pass rush generally and Ossai and Hodge in particular. Hendrickson & Reader got in with limited snaps, and I thought Sample & Bledsoe also showed well. The run defense was also stout all game. With Jobi out, intetesting that Tupou got the start instead of Daniels and got the starter treatment with very limited snaps. Thought all the interior guys showed well.

Roster wise, we inly kept 9 DLs last year (ZT skimped on the trenches on both sides). Hendrickson, Reader Ogunjobi, Hubbard, and Ossai are stone cold locks. If we only keep 9, do we want 5 DT types & 4 Edge guys or the ither way around? Or is #9 a guy who can do both (Sample, Kareem, Bledsoe?). I think we keep 10 guys. 5 interior and 5 edge, with a couple guys having some positional versatility. I think we go with 5 interior guys: Reader (NT), Ogunjobi (DT), Tupou (NT#2/DT#3), Daniels (DT#2), and Shelvin (NT#3). At times 3 of these guys will play in 5 man fronts. 3 NTs rostered helps stop the run. McKenzie & Akinmoladun were good as well, but it is gonna be hard for them to make the 53. One to PS for sure. That leaves 2 edge spots unclaimed. I think Sample is a near lock for one, and he can move insiide some as well, especially in passing downs. That leaves one spot. It was Kareem's heading into camp but he has been hurt. He also has some versatility to play inside. Bledsoe was goid last game, Hodge was phenomenal. Last spot goes to Hodge, for now. Will be interesting to see how he does vs better players this week with Ossai out.
Reply/Quote
I currently see it as...

QB-Burrow, Allen
RB-Mixon, Perrine, Evans, Patrick
WR-Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Taylor, Thomas
TE-Sample, Uzomah, Moss
OL-Williams, Spain, Hopkins, MJ, Reiff, Carman, Smith, Price, Prince, Johnson
DL-Hubbard, Reader, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Ossai, Sample, Daniels, Tupou, Shelvin, Kareem
LB-Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Evans
CB-Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Phillips, Apple, Davis
S-Bates, Bell, Allen, Wilson
K-McPherson
P-Huber
LS-Harris
Reply/Quote

When I saw the OP last night he didn't have D'Ante on the roster. Agree with everything you say here. Want Moss to make it, Irwin
and Bachie really balled out, Bachie was a leader at Michigan State. He was a Spartan. I got Game Pass too, it is the best in my eyes
as long as I don't get spoiled, you can just turn off the scores and it is pretty much the same as watching it Live.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:02 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That is not my guess, that is the official depth chart the Bengals put out. 

https://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart 

I should have put the link in there. I just got tired typing the whole thing out. It does say "Initial Team Depth Chart." I guess I was not clear enough. My bad. 

As you say, injuries (Adeniji, Hubert, maybe Christman) have taken some guys out of the running. But I thought starting the thread with where the team viewed things at the start of camp was a good place to start. 

One thing to notice about the initial chart, is that all the undrafted guys from this year are lowest, with the PS guys from last year next. In some cases, those guys were ahead of late round picks this year (Patrick over Evans). In no case was there a roster guy from last year. The complete list of new guys who were top 2 is Chase, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Awuzie, Hilton, McPherson (all starting), Smith, Ossai, Apple, and Ricardo Allen as backups. All THOSE guys are FAs save for Chase, Ossai, Smith, and McPherson. Basically, the team's first chart was a seniority chart with a few notable exceptions.  

How much camp performances and the TB moved things around the fringes is the only real question.

I cannot really conceive of a guy listed as a starter currently not making the 53. OK, maybe 2. If McPherson tanks the rest of camp I could see us keeping Seibert, but that does not look likely. 

I could conceive of us only keeping 4 guards (Spain, Smith, XSF, Carman) and Jordan being out. But I think that is a longshot. Both backup Gs as rookies is risky and Jordan did well the first game. We only kept 9 OL last year, which I think was a mistake ZT will not repeat. Even with 10, those 4 guys plus Jonah, Reiff, Hopkins, Johnson gets you to 8. Backup C to 9 (Price, Hill, Sutherland). Jordan would have to lose out to another OT (Prince?) or the 3rd string C to be off if we go with 10.  

Gotta run now, will try to get my thoughts on TB game and where things stand before the WFT game.  

Cool man, good work. It is definitely not going to be the same as the initial team depth chart that is for sure.

Lots of players surprised and played great in the TB game. Really good showing from a wealth of players and the coaching 
also looked much better on both sides. Better play calling by both Zac and Lou for once.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I currently see it as...

QB-Burrow, Allen
TE-Sample, Uzomah, Moss
DL-Hubbard, Reader, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Ossai, Sample, Daniels, Tupou, Shelvin, Kareem
LB-Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Evans
CB-Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Phillips, Apple, Davis
S-Bates, Bell, Allen, Wilson
K-McPherson
P-Huber
LS-Harris

Only change I see on this I would make would be replacing Thomas with Irwin.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I currently see it as...

QB-Burrow, Allen
TE-Sample, Uzomah, Moss

Did something happen to XSF?

Reply/Quote

Yeah.....and I think I'd move Traveon down a couple pegs.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool man, good work. It is definitely not going to be the same as the initial team depth chart that is for sure.

Lots of players surprised and played great in the TB game. Really good showing from a wealth of players and the coaching 
also looked much better on both sides. Better play calling by both Zac and Lou for once.

Play calling tends to look better with better talent fits to your schemes. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Outside of the DL play, I thought some of the fringe guys had really good games. Evans, Patrick, Irwin, Bachie, and Davis were the standouts. Not sure they all make the team. Davis is a slot corner with Hilton & D. Phillips ahead of him. Darius looked good returning kicks.

FWIW, last year, the 53 broke down like this:
QB (2), RB (4), WR (7), TE (3), OL (9). O = 25.
DL (9), LB (6), CB (6), S (4). D = 25.
PK (1), P (1), LS (1). ST = 3.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/bengals-53-man-roster-breakdown-final-list-cuts-2020/

I'd keep it at 25/25, but only keep 6 WRs instead of 7 and 10 OL, not 9. On D I cut a LB to keep one more DL. Tempted to keep only 4 LBs.

Right now, I'd go

QB (2). Burrow, Allen
RB (4). Mixon, Perine, Evans, Patrick
WR (6). Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Thomas, Taylor, Irwin
TE (3). Uzomah, D. Sample, Moss
OL (10). Jonah, Spain, Hopkins, MJ, Reiff, Smith, Carman, Johnson, XSF, Price
DE/Edge (5). Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, C. Sample, Hodge
NT/DT (5). Reader, Ogunjobi, Tupou, Daniels, Shelvin
LB (5). L. Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Evans, Bailey
CB (6). Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Phillips, Apple, T. Brown
S (4). Bates, Bell, Allen, Wilson
K-McPherson
P-Huber
LS-Harris

Guys I'd really like to keep on the PS: Pooka, T. Williams, Tate, Prince, Hill, Kareem, Bledsoe, Bachie, Davis, Henderson.

Only real weird ones from me were cutting Tate & Having Hodge on. Really wanted to find a spot for Davis but as I see him as a slot corner, it is gonna be tough. Unless he can prove he can play outside, or the staff is comfortable with Phillips or Allen doing it, I do not see 3 slot corners on the 53.

Tate is just never open. And does not play special teams. He is probably safe, but I'd go in a different direction.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 02:27 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Did something happen to XSF?

I personally see him on the outside looking in.  He hasn't really distanced himself from MJ in the RG battle.  He's a pure G with no real position flexibility.  They also save $2 mil this year and $3 mil next year and he could potentially be attractive trade bait.  

I currently see them keeping 10 with XSF, Hill, and Fred Johnson fighting for that last spot.  
Reply/Quote
Well, looks like Ossai is out for the season, or at least a while.

The Bengals cut 4 & terminated one contract: DL Freedom Akinmoladun, TE O'Grady, OG/C Gaillard, QB Dungey, and SS Frazier. No real surprises, though, for me the Akinmoladun moce (at this stage) was surprising. Thought he played better than McKenzie & Shelvin last game.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/23/bengals-roster-moves-cuts-second-deadline/

Also signed DE Noah Spence to come into camp & compete after the Ossai injury.

Current Roster status:

Injured list (3). Ossai (DE), Adeniji (OL), Hubert (DE).

QB (2). Burrow, Allen
RB (4). Mixon, Perine, Evans, Patrick
WR (6). Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Taylor, Irwin
TE (3). Uzomah, D. Sample, Moss
OL (10). Jonah, Spain, Hopkins, MJ, Reiff, Smith, Carman, Johnson, XSF, Price
DE/Edge (5). Hendrickson, Hubbard, Kareem , C. Sample, Hodge
NT/DT (5). Reader, Ogunjobi, Tupou, Daniels, Shelvin
LB (5). L. Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Evans, Bailey
CB (6). Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Phillips, Apple, Davis
S (4). Bates, Bell, Allen, Wilson
K-McPherson
P-Huber
LS-Harris

I could see us going with 3 RBs to create another slot, but I like Patrick enough for him to make the team.

Practice squad (16). I will go with the last man out at each position group (QB, RB, WE, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S) plus one extra at some groups (IOL/OT, DE/DT, slot WR/flanker). That is 12. Then just the next best 4.

1. Wren (DT)
2. Thomas (WR/FL)
3. Prince (OT)
4. T. Williams (RB)
5. Pooka Williams (WR/slot + RB)
6. Hill (C/OG)
7. T. Brown (CB)
8. T. Henderson (S)
9. Schreck (TE)
10. Spence (DE)
11. Jones (LB)
12. Shurmur (QB)
----------------
13. Morgan (WR)
14. McKenzie (DT)
15. Rose (CB)
16. Christman (P)

Cut (9): Seibert (PK), Bledsoe (DE), Sutherland (OG/C), Washington (WR), Wilcox (TE), Bachie (LB), A. Phillips (CB), D. Lewis (CB), Vogel (OT).

Obviously, this is just the guys we have in camp, I am sure some team will nab a guy, or more, we cut, and we will do the same.
Reply/Quote
With the Ossai injury, figure I'll take a shot at one of these now. Went with 3 RBs to keep 11 DL with the final spot between Hodge and Kareem to close to call.

QB (2) - Joe Burrow, Brandon Allen
RB (3) - Joe Mixon, Samaje Perine, Chris Evans
WR (6) - Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, "Drops" Chase, Auden Tate, Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin
TE (3) - C.J. Uzomah, Drew Sample, Thaddeus Moss
OL (10) - Jonah Williams, Riley Reiff, Michael Jordan, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Quinton Spain, Billy Price, Trey Hopkins, Jackson Carman, Fred Johnson, D'Ante Smith

DL (11) - Sam Hubbard, Trey Hendrickson, Cam Sample, Noah Spence, Khalid Kareem, Darius Hodge, D.J. Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, Mike Daniels, Josh Tupou, Tyler Shelvin
LB (5) - Germaine Pratt, Logan Wilson, Jordan Evans, Akeem Davis-Gaither, Markus Bailey
CB (6) - Chidobe Awuzie, Trae Waynes, Mike Hilton, Eli Apple, Darius Phillips, Jalen Davis
S (4) - Vonn Bell, Jessie Bates, Ricardo Allen, Brandon Wilson

K (1) - Evan McPherson
P (1) - Kevin Huber
LS (1) - Clark Harris

IR:
Hakeem Adeniji, Wyatt Hubert, Joseph Ossai

Practice Squad:
QB Kyle Shurmur
RB Jacques Patrick
RB/WR Pooka Williams Jr.
WR Scotty Washington
WR Stanley Morgan
TE Mitchell Wilcox
C Trey Hill
OT Isaiah Prince
DE Amani Bledsoe
DT Renell Wren
DT Kahlil McKenzie
CB Antonio Phillips
CB Donnie Lewis
S Trayvon Henderson

Usually pick one or two guys up for the squad from other teams cuts, so I only listed 14.

Reply/Quote
Hodge can play End? Thought he was purely a LB? Or are you just trying to sneak him onto the team cause I want him
to stay on the roster myself.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hodge can play End? Thought he was purely a LB? Or are you just trying to sneak him onto the team cause I want him
to stay on the roster myself.

Yes  Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja

I don't care where they hide him, gotta make the team but on the official roster on the homepage, he is listed as "EDGE" so... hopefully?

Reply/Quote