Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Pick, Worse Pick, Sleeper Draft Grades
I will start by saying that Sample was a beautiful pick up. In-line TEs are very rare nowadays coming out of college. He can also catch. He was their leading receiver in a tough Oregon game.

This guy can do it all. Think Steeler tough TEs - like Miller, who punches your ends and LBs in the mouth all day and then gashes you with a seam route.

I won't pick a best and worst pick, because I am not a prophet.

I do like Pratt, Wren and Williams.

I also think Jordan Brown is the sleeper of this litter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope Sample turns into Witten like performance and people who cried will eat it.  

I will gladly eat it if Sample turns into a solid player. I still think the pick wasn't a good one because of when it was made, but, it's over and done with and I hope I am very wrong. 
Reply/Quote
Total Grade: B
Best Pick: Jonah Williams
Worst Pick: Drew Sample
Sleeper: Trayveon Williams

Not happy with Sample in round two, still some very good corners and pass rushers on the board who I have a hard time believing we're rated lower than Sample on the board. Trayveon will be great for special teams and there's no let up when Mixon takes a breather. Great hands and can potentially be a really good receiving threat one day.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: where have you read this?

Twitter from Paul Dehner Jr from the Enquirer. I guess it was an interview with Coach Taylor so I guess take it for what it's worth. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:25 PM)samhain Wrote: Worst pick: Sample. Just would have liked to have seen something else in 2. Hopefully he's a hammer in the run game and becomes a difference maker for them. His production is not 2nd round worthy, but I read things that say his quarterback at UW was really bad at finding open receivers. We shall see.

(04-27-2019, 11:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I cannot see how the Bengals Board would place Sample so high on their board.  Greedy W was there.  I just think they wanted Risner, traded back and said F--k it lets get the best blocking TE in college.  

When a guy doesn't drop a single pass targeted at him, the issue isn't him.

The issue is either the scheme or the ball distributor.

Greedy Williams has Deion Sanders disease.
Reply/Quote
That Deshaun.kid from auburn i never heard of was worst pick but it was so late it didn’t matter. I think Sample is going to be a gem maybe he was a reach but still if he turns into a ten year vet you’ll see why they drafted him
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: where have you read this?

(04-28-2019, 12:13 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Twitter from Paul Dehner Jr from the Enquirer. I guess it was an interview with Coach Taylor so I guess take it for what it's worth. 

ESPN's Bengals writer Kat Terrell tweeted that Sample was regarded a lot higher by actual team scouts around the league than the media pundits and he wouldn't have lasted much longer.  His lack of offensive numbers were seen as a result of the offense, not his abilities.  He apparently didn't drop a pass all last year, so he has hands to go with his size.  Take that for what it's worth.
Reply/Quote
B minus
Best pick- Jonah Williams -day one Right tackle and can take offensive line to another level
Sleeper -Drew Sample- weird to say that a second-round pick would be a sleeper but here we are. He is the next Heath miller.
Worst- Deshaun Davis- did we learn anything from last season at LB. It's just a 6th Rd pick but this dude has zero chance to make the team. I know he's smart and a warrior but dude has such a terrible Athletic profile that he should not have been drafted or as a udfa. He would be great in the European leagues but not in the NFL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
When was the last time we didn't draft a WR?
Reply/Quote
Best: Jonah Williams.

Worst: Sample. I'm fine with him on the roster, but big reach. Sounds like he may be good for us, but we could have gotten him later, and used the second pick on any one of several outstanding prospects.

Sleeper: Tie between Michael Jordan and Wren.

Grade: B+
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Total Grade : A+

Best pick : Germaine Pratt LB

Worst pick : I guess Rodney Anderson even though it was a good pick, i might of taken David Long Jr here instead.

Sleeper, Renell Wren, dude has crazy talent.
David Long Jr. is my children's first cousin lol, he's from Dayton but for some reason didn't want to play for us but glad he was drafted! 
Best pick : Williams T : Worst pick : it could be said TE Sample for the appearance of a mega reach Sleeper Pratt LB : for the reason someone else stated that is mostly due to the hype the two Devins were getting and the rest of the LB class getting little to no mention 
Reply/Quote
Best pick...Jonah Williams

Worst pick...Rodney Anderson

Sleeper...Jordan Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:44 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Total Grade:  B- to C+
Best Pick:  Jonah Williams
Worst Pick:  Drew Sample, honorable mention, Rodney Anderson
Sleeper:  Renell Wren

Rationale:  The Bengals upgraded weaknesses at RT and LB, but arguably did nowhere near enough to solidify a putrid LB corps that will again be the weakest link on the defense.  The team badly needs difference makers, and arguably only netted two (Williams and Pratt).  Wren, Jordan, Williams, and Brown are intriguing.  Sample, Finley, Davis, and Anderson feel like underwhelming picks.  

As to the UDFA’s , I rather like the Stanley Wilson signing, and hope his Bengals experience ends better than the last Stanley Wilson.  The Bengals could have used another WR to compete with an underachieving 3-5th WR group. Wilson may be that guy.  He’s got good hands, tested well, and has produced with underwhelming QB play.

Okay Buddy, now you are showing your age.  I think you mean Stanley Morgan.  But just reading on him, I think he will make the Roster.  

Something to keep in mind about Finley, it was the QB Zac Taylor wanted all along.  Now I don't know if Finley will replace Dalton but he sure is better than Jeff Driskel.  His arm Strength reminds me of Anderson, and Montana who had weak arms but very accurate.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:52 AM)Whatever Wrote: ESPN's Bengals writer Kat Terrell tweeted that Sample was regarded a lot higher by actual team scouts around the league than the media pundits and he wouldn't have lasted much longer.  His lack of offensive numbers were seen as a result of the offense, not his abilities.  He apparently didn't drop a pass all last year, so he has hands to go with his size.  Take that for what it's worth.

Well now, that is interesting.  Again.  If New England took Sample in round two, not a single pundit would bat an eye.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:08 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: B minus
Best pick- Jonah Williams -day one Right tackle and can take offensive line to another level
Sleeper -Drew Sample- weird to say that a second-round pick would be a sleeper but here we are. He is the next Heath miller.
Worst- Deshaun Davis- did we learn anything from last season at LB. It's just a 6th Rd pick but this dude has zero chance to make the team. I know he's smart and a warrior but dude has such a terrible Athletic profile that he should not have been drafted or as a udfa. He would be great in the European leagues but not in the NFL.

I am really surprised they did not select a backer earlier.  I guess I look at Jefferson as an extra 3rd rounder.  I bet next year the Bengals focus on backers and replacing skilled positions.  Maybe even another QB.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Grade: B+

Best pick - Williams. Jonah was a top 4 pick in drafts few months ago for a reason. 

Sleeper- Sample. I think he can be really good. The TE coaches are comparing him to some very good players,  if the Bengals didn't pick him and he went to the Pats in the next round everyone would be praising the pick. He's not just a blocker , caught every pass thrown to him, pretty quick for a big guy and can block like an OL.

Worst - Anderson. I though they made a great selection in Trayveon Williams but this was kinda weird to go back to back RB. Taylor really going smash mouth.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:15 AM)Bengals731 Wrote: Grade: B+

Best pick - Williams. Jonah was a top 4 pick in drafts few months ago for a reason. 

Sleeper- Sample. I think he can be really good. The TE coaches are comparing him to some very good players,  if the Bengals didn't pick him and he went to the Pats in the next round everyone would be praising the pick. He's not just a blocker , caught every pass thrown to him, pretty quick for a big guy and can block like an OL.

Worst - Anderson. I though they made a great selection in Trayveon Williams but this was kinda weird to go back to back RB. Taylor really going smash mouth.

I was surprised by Anderson.  But I guess when healthy, he is good.  He is a bigger back than Williams.  At that point in the draft, why not.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Best- Ryan Finley - Legit competition for Dalton in the 4th round was a nice get. Watching Driskel last year was painful.

Worse - Wren. I was sold for a little bit then I watched some youtube. He definitely stands out physically when watching his games. But there is a whole lot of bad. He is something to work with but the football instincts don't look to be there.

Sleeper - Deshaun Davis - Wasn't that long ago a smart, hard nosed LB with a lack of speed was our best LB. His intelligence could get him on the field. A run stopping LB in the AFC North could come in handy.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:25 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Best- Ryan Finley - Legit competition for Dalton in the 4th round was a nice get. Watching Driskel last year was painful.

Worse - Wren. I was sold for a little bit then I watched some youtube. He definitely stands out physically when watching his games. But there is a whole lot of bad. He is something to work with but the football instincts don't look to be there.

Sleeper - Deshaun Davis - Wasn't that long ago a smart, hard nosed LB with a lack of speed was our best LB. His intelligence could get him on the field. A run stopping LB in the AFC North could come in handy.

Interesting points - especially Wren.

I see a super heavyweight wrestler in this guy. Time will tell, but I think he will pan out.

What bad did you see in film?
Reply/Quote