Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Pick, Worse Pick, Sleeper Draft Grades
Best Pick - Obviously Jonah Williams for talent and need.  We desperately need a good RT that can supplant Hart.  A 1st rounder with no issues should do it.

Worst Pick - Sample only for the round he was picked, limited College usage, and other players with more proven play.  I don't hate the player or pick itself.  Just the round and other players available make it worst.  He could be very useful in run game/pass pro.

Sleeper - Trayveon Williams  He could be a nice compliment back to Mixon or step in if he's injured.  The trio of Mixon, Gio, Williams is very very promising.  My worst pick Sample could be the thing that gives them an extra push.  

A close second would be Finley from NC State.  The guy has good footwork, pocket awareness, and pass accuracy.  I like this pick for Dalton's backup for now.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 07:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hope Sample turns into Witten like performance and people who cried will eat it.  

Why are you so epically bitter about people thinking he should have gone a round or 2 later?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 11:25 PM)samhain Wrote: Best Pick: Jonah by far.  Will be the best OL in this class.  He could do a lot to improve the offense immediately.  

Worst pick: Sample.  Just would have liked to have seen something else in 2.  Hopefully he's a hammer in the run game and becomes a difference maker for them.  His production is not 2nd round worthy, but I read things that say his quarterback at UW was really bad at finding open receivers. We shall see.

Sleeper: MJ.  They traded up to get this guy.  He's got just about everything you ant in an interior lineman.  I think there's a chance, albeit a small one that he starts at RG on opening day and Miller becomes the 2019 Travelle Wharton.

That is clearly apparent when you watch film. Washington ran a LOT of crossing patterns and he was available but the QB choose the smaller, faster option 99 percent of the time. They missed him on a few deeper routes where he was wide open too. 

He's not going to go out and get separation and make a big difference in the passing game but he's not a scrub either.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Best-Jonah Williams
Worst-Sample, only because I think we could have waited
Sleeper-Trayveon Williams, Steal of our draft IMO.
Grade-C+
Reply/Quote
Grade: B+

Best Pick: J. Williams - obvious, #4 overall prospect at #11 = great value at a sorely needed position.

Worst Pick: D. Davis - good tackler who can't cover, we've played this game before, that is literally the weakest part of the Bengals D (LBs who can't cover).

Sleeper: R. Anderson - 3 different injuries to 3 different body parts mask a dynamic runner with huge potential to be an impact player.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why are you so epically bitter about people thinking he should have gone a round or 2 later?

I'm sure he'll be in the group "I told you so"

Missing the whole point.

We know what a blocking TE is about.  He can catch.

Usually a utility player and not a playmaker type you'd want at 2nd round.

Not a lot of info or good tape on the guy.

What's not to get for people being down on the level of the pick?

I don't get the hostility either from other posters.

You'd think you had insulted their relative.   Whatever
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Best- Jonah Williams best OT in the draft huge need

Worst- sample, I really hated the pick when it happened, I’ve warmed up to it just thought it wasn’t a huge need at that spot

Sleeper- Jordan brown, prototype CB with a ton of upside
Reply/Quote
Best Pick - Williams
Worst Pick - Jordan
Sleeper Pick - Sample + Wren. Since we traded back to aquire the pick for wren I will combo both together. Its the only way I can sleep at night lmao

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Please keep this nontoxic.

Rules are simple:

Total Grade:
Best Pick:
Worst Pick:
Sleeper:

My View:
Total Grade: B-
Best Pick: J. Williams OT, Rated highest at position of need.
Worst Pick: Sample TE, simply because he was taken too high but I think he will be amazing because of skill set.
Sleeper: Wren DT, a man-child who will terrify QB.

Sounds fun:

Best Pick: Michael Jordan. He was rated as high as a second round talent by some and we stole him in the fourth. He’s a better guard than center, but he made that move to help his team. More on that later...

Worst Pick: Ryan Finley. Only because I don’t see him helping our team if things go well for Dalton (and I believe very strongly they will). There were guys like David Long Jr and a couple big WRs that I was pretty high on still available that could have helped the team right away. Worst implies he is a bad player, and I don’t mean to convey that, but I think Driskell might have been better suited for Taylor’s offense and we could have gotten more depth and talent at LB or WR.

Sleeper: Wren. I had mocked him several times and I believe the coaches can help him a great deal. He has all the tools to be a 3 down player with great burst and anchor. He just needs some technique and polish.

Overall: A-

I loved their willingness to get Sample when he was there in Rd 2 and I believe he will be an impact on many levels for this team. The Bengals seem to be done (about time!) with poor character guys and they want guys that are high character, with a love for football. I can’t wait for these young guys to get in the mix.
Reply/Quote
Total Grade: A-
Best Pick: Williams, duh, guy is solid!
Worst Pick: Jordan, not a fan of OL with bad feet.
Sleeper: Brown, 7th round pick projected to go 3-4. The big thing against him is his lack of aggressiveness, but he converted to CB. With some more time in the position, he could become a valuable CB in the future, and with the 7th pick, we invested very little.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:45 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: Total Grade: A-
Best Pick: Williams, duh, guy is solid!
Worst Pick: Jordan, not a fan of OL with bad feet.
Sleeper: Brown, 7th round pick projected to go 3-4. The big thing against him is his lack of aggressiveness, but he converted to CB. With some more time in the position, he could become a valuable CB in the future, and with the 7th pick, we invested very little.

Good stuff on Jordan Brown as i knew nothing about him.

Sounds like a steal.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 06:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good stuff on Jordan Brown as i knew nothing about him.

Sounds like a steal.

Thanks, I didn't know about him either, but figured we could use a CB late.  Saw him on the draft board and started reading through, and he sounded like a high value low risk pick late!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:58 AM)804 fan Wrote: David Long Jr. is my children's first cousin lol, he's from Dayton but for some reason didn't want to play for us but glad he was drafted! 
Best pick : Williams T : Worst pick : it could be said TE Sample for the appearance of a mega reach Sleeper Pratt LB : for the reason someone else stated that is mostly due to the hype the two Devins were getting and the rest of the LB class getting little to no mention 

Why would Long not want to play for us? Kind of weird.
Reply/Quote
Grade.....A++ (why the hell not, no one really knows at this point)

Best Pick....Jordan.  He is still just 21.  He will get bigger, move back to OG, and be very good.  (Actually it is Williams, but that is what EVERYONE is saying)

Worst pick...Anderson.  May be a decent NFL RB, but we had already gotten one in Treyveon.

Sleeper....Wren.  Bengals are known for getting great DTs in the fourth round.  The knock on this guy is that he is an "under achiever".  There could be many different reasons for this, but I am hoping our coaches and/or motivation for NFL money can straighten him out.
Reply/Quote
Total Grade:  A

Best pick:  Williams.  Was a great value (even picking early) at a position of need that will help solidify the weakest part of our offense.

Worst pick:  Can't really find one.

Sleepers:  People are underestimating Sample and I think he could do big things for us.  
I think Pratt could be the playmaker we need at backer. 
Wren could also be an animal.
(04-27-2019, 07:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: How do you think this draft compares to Marvin Lewis's past drafts overall?

I notice that this new coaching staff did not take players with troubled past and that they all seem to be football junkies.  Seems to focus more on fundamental pieces and non skilled players.

I think that just goes to further prove that Mike Brown has no influence in the draft or really any football operations anymore because he was always the one that took chances on troubled players (to be fair, I think that's what his dad believed in, too, but Mike was just too extreme with it and took the wrong chances).

(04-27-2019, 07:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Last time Bengals had someone like Sample also was drafted in 2nd round almost at the exact same spot was:

Reggie Kelly.  He was awesome workhorse but not really noticed by fans.  

Exactly, but Sample's a lot more talented and can do so much more.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:05 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why are you so epically bitter about people thinking he should have gone a round or 2 later?

Is epically a word?  

Not bitter.  I actually agree that he went too high.  I am not against that argument.  What bothers me is that some on these boards think it was a wasted pick.  I think coaches may have gotten this one right.  But I also think that if New England made this pick, many would not have question the value of the pick.  

I think some said that Sample would not be there in 3rd.  If true, then it was a good pick.  I really hope he makes the pro-bowl.  I am cheering for the guy.   I never disagreed with you Rfaulk; as a fan it was quite shocking to see them take him.    
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:48 AM)Beaker Wrote: Grade: B+

Best Pick: J. Williams - obvious, #4 overall prospect at #11 = great value at a sorely needed position.

Worst Pick: D. Davis - good tackler who can't cover, we've played this game before, that is literally the weakest part of the Bengals D (LBs who can't cover).

Sleeper: R. Anderson - 3 different injuries to 3 different body parts mask a dynamic runner with huge potential to be an impact player.

Can you expand on Anderson's injury history Beaker.  I am hearing he only played half-dozen games in college.  Did he and Mixon play together?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Is epically a word?

Not bitter.  I actually agree that he went too high.  I am not against that argument.  What bothers me is that some on these boards think it was a wasted pick.  I think coaches may have gotten this one right.  But I also think that if New England made this pick, many would not have question the value of the pick.  

I think some said that Sample would not be there in 3rd.  If true, then it was a good pick.  I really hope he makes the pro-bowl.  I am cheering for the guy.   I never disagreed with you Rfaulk; as a fan it was quite shocking to see them take him.    

I wouldn't use it if it wasn't. Wink

Well, that's not true. Sometimes i get "creative" with words...

But i'll tell you what. I just watched some game tapes of Germaine Pratt and Devon White. There's not a 2 round difference between those guys. White is faster but Pratt is fast enough and he's quick. They're about the same engaging and they both fight to shed the block but Pratt has better balance. 

People need to stop talking about the TE cause Pratt could be a major steal. 

I watched White against Miami and Alabama and i watched Pratt against Clemson and Wake Forest.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't use it if it wasn't. Wink

Well, that's not true. Sometimes i get "creative" with words...

But i'll tell you what. I just watched some game tapes of Germaine Pratt and Devon White. There's not a 2 round difference between those guys. White is faster but Pratt is fast enough and he's quick. They're about the same engaging and they both fight to shed the block but Pratt has better balance. 

People need to stop talking about the TE cause Pratt could be a major steal. 

I watched White against Miami and Alabama and i watched Pratt against Clemson and Wake Forest.

That is good to hear about Pratt.  I hope Malik Jefferson shows something this year.  People forget he was drafted round 3 i think and maybe the coaches feel that he can play...
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:47 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That is good to hear about Pratt.  I hope Malik Jefferson shows something this year.  People forget he was drafted round 3 i think and maybe the coaches feel that he can play...

Holey Moley. Since you mentioned him, i went back and watched his game against USC...that guy doesn't look anything like Pratt. Looks slower, unsure, hesitant at the point of attack. I'll tell you who he reminded me of; last years out-of-shape Vontaze Burfict. 

Unless he's improved immensely, i wouldn't expect anything out of him. Guess i need to go check out some stuff on Jordan Evans. For some reason i really like that guy and i don't know why. 

Reply/Quote