Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Player Available Draft
I started out with the intent of going BPA (or at least very close to with players that made sense) in this draft simulation and never would I have dreamed it would have turned out to be the piece of art that it became. Let me say I have seen more and more scenarios in which a certain player slides to the Bengals at #28. Before posting the Bengals selections I will post the draft as it unfolded:

1) Carolina - C. Stroud                     15) NYJ - C. Kancey
2) Houston - Will Anderson Jr.       16) Wash. - D. Wright
3) Arizona - T. Wilson                     17) Pitt. - D. Banks
4) Indy - B. Young                           18) Detroit - N. Smith
5) Seattle - J. Carter                     19) T.B. - M. Murphy
6) Detroit - D. Witherspoon           20) Seattle - J. Addison
7) Vegas - P. Skoronski                   21) LAC - Q. Johnston
8) Atlanta - C. Gonzalez                  22) Balt. - Z. Flowers
9) Chicago - P. Johnson Jr.             23) Minn. - A. Richardson
10) Philly - J. Porter Jr.                  24) Jax - B. Branch
11) Tenn. - J. Smith-Njigba             25) NYG - O. Torrence
12) Houston - W. Levis                    26) Dallas - J. Gibbs
13) G.B. - L. Van Ness                      27) Buffalo - T. Simpson
14) N.E. - B. Jones

The pick I really found questionable was Dallas at #26 taking Gibbs but it could actually make sense. Dallas seems very happy with Pollard as their feature back and the drafting of Gibbs gives them a change of pace that is a definite playmaker and homerun threat as a runner or receiver.

Now on to the Bengals Draft:
Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
Damn, well done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bijan Robinson - Obviously with the 28th selection Robinson was the BPA as far as rankings, team needs, and fit. Robinson would end the Joe Mixon era in Cincinnati making the June 1st cut virtually certain. There is no real weakness to the game of Robinson and he will give Burrow the playmaker at the RB position that he has not had as of yet.

Julius Brents - Brents was the BPA by ranking, team needs, and system fit again at the 60th selection. Brents has outstanding size and length at 6'3" and 198. He is an outstanding zone corner and personally I feel underrated in man coverage as he was matched up with Johnston several times and faired very well in the outing. Brents is physical and should really fit with the scheme of Lou very well.

Tucker Kraft - Kraft was 1 spot below BPA in rankings however, by team needs and system fit Kraft was BPA. Kraft is a pretty good blocker who should be able to become a better inline blocker with some adjustments to hand placement and technique refinement. As a receiver Kraft is really talented and is always looking for yards after catch. He has good hand and has shown outstanding body control in the receiving game. Has stated that he is angry when he allows himself to be tackled by a a single defender. Just the mindset this offense needs.

Karl Brooks - As with Kraft, Brooks was one spot below BPA in rankings but again given fit and team needs he aligned as the BPA. The Bengals need to turn their high pressures into more sacks and turnovers and a good interior pass rush could be the way to do that. Brooks is a pocket disrupter who is explosive and has outstanding quickness off the snap. The Falcons even stood him up at end. Brooks is very experienced with 48 starts and was a two time captain at Bowling Green. Some questioned his competition in the MAC until he showed up and dominated at the Senior Bowl.

Andrew Vorhees - Vorhees was the BPA even after tearing his ACL at the combine and that injury is the only reason that Vorhees in available in the 5th round. Even with a torn ACL he displayed his dedication to his craft and his pure brute strength by putting up 38 reps with one foot on the ground. Vorhees has an outstanding football IQ and is extremely technically sound in his game. This will be like getting an extra third round selection in '24.

Viliami Fehoko - Fehoko was one spot below BPA in rankings. An extremely strong and high motor edge player that measured 6'4" 282 at the San Jose State Pro Day while posting a 4.75 40 time. He should be a solid addition to the DL room and provide good depth behind Hendrickson and Hubbard as a rotational piece.

Matt Landers - This was the only deviation that I made from BPA. I felt the Bengals needed to add talent to the WR room with upcoming contracts and so forth and I felt that Landers was the best wide receiver on the board. Landers has shown flashes of brilliance as a receiver and at 6'4" 200 and running a 4.37 40 he brings elite size/speed combination to the position. He needs to add strength and consistency to his game but I feel he has the potential to be one of the overall most talented receivers to come out of this draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Damn, well done.

I know it is a reach to think about it but I have seen multiple scenarios of late where Robinson makes it to the Bengals at 28. The catch I have always had was hit getting past Dallas. However, the selection Gibbs makes a lot of sense for Dallas with them having found a really good RB in Pollard that seems to fit their team very well.

Hell, they could end their draft after these first four selections and I would be fine with it...lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Bijan Robinson - Obviously with the 28th selection Robinson was the BPA as far as rankings, team needs, and fit. Robinson would end the Joe Mixon era in Cincinnati making the June 1st cut virtually certain. There is no real weakness to the game of Robinson and he will give Burrow the playmaker at the RB position that he has not had as of yet.

Julius Brents - Brents was the BPA by ranking, team needs, and system fit again at the 60th selection. Brents has outstanding size and length at 6'3" and 198. He is an outstanding zone corner and personally I feel underrated in man coverage as he was matched up with Johnston several times and faired very well in the outing. Brents is physical and should really fit with the scheme of Lou very well.

Tucker Kraft - Kraft was 1 spot below BPA in rankings however, by team needs and system fit Kraft was BPA. Kraft is a pretty good blocker who should be able to become a better inline blocker with some adjustments to hand placement and technique refinement. As a receiver Kraft is really talented and is always looking for yards after catch. He has good hand and has shown outstanding body control in the receiving game. Has stated that he is angry when he allows himself to be tackled by a a single defender. Just the mindset this offense needs.

Karl Brooks - As with Kraft, Brooks was one spot below BPA in rankings but again given fit and team needs he aligned as the BPA. The Bengals need to turn their high pressures into more sacks and turnovers and a good interior pass rush could be the way to do that. Brooks is a pocket disrupter who is explosive and has outstanding quickness off the snap. The Falcons even stood him up at end. Brooks is very experienced with 48 starts and was a two time captain at Bowling Green. Some questioned his competition in the MAC until he showed up and dominated at the Senior Bowl.

Andrew Vorhees - Vorhees was the BPA even after tearing his ACL at the combine and that injury is the only reason that Vorhees in available in the 5th round. Even with a torn ACL he displayed his dedication to his craft and his pure brute strength by putting up 38 reps with one foot on the ground. Vorhees has an outstanding football IQ and is extremely technically sound in his game. This will be like getting an extra third round selection in '24.

Viliami Fehoko - Fehoko was one spot below BPA in rankings. An extremely strong and high motor edge player that measured 6'4" 282 at the San Jose State Pro Day while posting a 4.75 40 time. He should be a solid addition to the DL room and provide good depth behind Hendrickson and Hubbard as a rotational piece.

Matt Landers - This was the only deviation that I made from BPA. I felt the Bengals needed to add talent to the WR room with upcoming contracts and so forth and I felt that Landers was the best wide receiver on the board. Landers has shown flashes of brilliance as a receiver and at 6'4" 200 and running a 4.37 40 he brings elite size/speed combination to the position. He needs to add strength and consistency to his game but I feel he has the potential to be one of the overall most talented receivers to come out of this draft.
Brents is one of the guys I really hope we can get !!
Reply/Quote
Landers in the 7th is a steal! I saw a couple of Mocks that had Bijan falling to us, I thought they were nuts, but you broke it down nicely. Overall, this would be a spectacular draft!!
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 11:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Landers in the 7th is a steal!  I saw a couple of Mocks that had Bijan falling to us, I thought they were nuts, but you broke it down nicely. Overall, this would be a spectacular draft!!

I have seen several mocks and simulations where Bijan gets to us and I really questioned him getting past Dallas but the drafting of Gibbs by Dallas does make sense when they seem to have found their feature back in Pollard.

I agree on Landers. I know he has been grossly inconsistent up until last season but he has so much raw talent and abilities. I would really like to see him as a Bengals come this Sunday evening.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 09:48 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I started out with the intent of going BPA (or at least very close to with players that made sense) in this draft simulation and never would I have dreamed it would have turned out to be the piece of art that it became. Let me say I have seen more and more scenarios in which a certain player slides to the Bengals at #28. Before posting the Bengals selections I will post the draft as it unfolded:

1) Carolina - C. Stroud                     15) NYJ - C. Kancey
2) Houston - Will Anderson Jr.       16) Wash. - D. Wright
3) Arizona - T. Wilson                     17) Pitt. - D. Banks
4) Indy - B. Young                           18) Detroit - N. Smith
5) Seattle - J. Carter                     19) T.B. - M. Murphy
6) Detroit - D. Witherspoon           20) Seattle - J. Addison
7) Vegas - P. Skoronski                   21) LAC - Q. Johnston
8) Atlanta - C. Gonzalez                  22) Balt. - Z. Flowers
9) Chicago - P. Johnson Jr.             23) Minn. - A. Richardson
10) Philly - J. Porter Jr.                  24) Jax - B. Branch
11) Tenn. - J. Smith-Njigba             25) NYG - O. Torrence
12) Houston - W. Levis                    26) Dallas - J. Gibbs
13) G.B. - L. Van Ness                      27) Buffalo - T. Simpson
14) N.E. - B. Jones

The pick I really found questionable was Dallas at #26 taking Gibbs but it could actually make sense. Dallas seems very happy with Pollard as their feature back and the drafting of Gibbs gives them a change of pace that is a definite playmaker and homerun threat as a runner or receiver.

Now on to the Bengals Draft:

Good draft overall. That draft has 6 guys outside my top 25 (including the 4 QBs). I need 3 to be a happy camper & guarantee at least one. This one would have produced 4: Robinson, Forbes, Mayer, & Kincaid. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 03:35 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good draft overall. That draft has 6 guys outside my top 25 (including the 4 QBs). I need 3 to be a happy camper & guarantee at least one. This one would have produced 4: Robinson, Forbes, Mayer, & Kincaid. 

While some may question how a draft could unfold like this I think that they have to realize that things such as "first round prospect" and "best player available" can differ substantially between organizations do to scheme or criteria that an organization may use to evaluate a player. Some organizations are going to put greater importance on certain traits than another organization does. One size does not always fit all which is what many do not seem to understand.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 05:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: While some may question how a draft could unfold like this I think that they have to realize that things such as "first round prospect" and "best player available" can differ substantially between organizations do to scheme or criteria that an organization may use to evaluate a player. Some organizations are going to put greater importance on certain traits than another organization does. One size does not always fit all which is what many do not seem to understand.

Yep. I mean, Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis, and Hooker are not on outlr board at all, even though the first 4 are undoubtedly top 28 guys. Some teams are set at tackle and not looking for a starter early. Or corner. Or what they need (LB, G, S, TE) can be found later, so they are willing to move down for more assets. Others may have to move up to get what they want (QB seekers). 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Bijan Robinson - Obviously with the 28th selection Robinson was the BPA as far as rankings, team needs, and fit. Robinson would end the Joe Mixon era in Cincinnati making the June 1st cut virtually certain. There is no real weakness to the game of Robinson and he will give Burrow the playmaker at the RB position that he has not had as of yet.

Would love it if this happens OSUfan. Just saw PFF has us trading up with the Giants and taking Bijan. Would like it better if he just 
fell to us because Gibbs is taken ahead of him, could happen, yah never know. Bijan allows us to designate Mixon a June 1st cut and 
takes this Offense to an entirely different level. No more of our RB tripping on the yard lines from invisible tacklers, Bijan's balance is 
elite. I like Brents size, but he will need to work on his tackling. Kraft would be a great pick.

Really hoping we have an answer at 3-tech this year, Brooks could be just that. Vorhees I liked everytime I watched USC, solid Guard.

Fehoko and Landers rounding out the Draft would be fantastic, really like Landers and his size. Great job. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 05:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yep. I mean, Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis, and Hooker are not on outlr board at all, even though the first 4 are undoubtedly top 28 guys. Some teams are set at tackle and not looking for a starter early. Or corner. Or what they need (LB, G, S, TE) can be found later, so they are willing to move down for more assets. Others may have to move up to get what they want (QB seekers). 

Great points! Factor in as well how a player fits a scheme. While many feel Orlando Brown Jr. was a mediocre LT in KC some of that can be contributed to the QB he was blocking for. The very things that make Mahomes a great QB are things that also can make him a nightmare to block for. He drops deeper than any QB I have ever seen and he moves around the pocket constantly with what I would describe as happy feet. On the other hand what Joey B needs is an OT that will not get pushed back into him by bull rushers. So it would make sense that Orlando make look a heck of a sight better blocking for Joey who slides up in the pocket instead of east and west.

Different pass rushers as well may have different values in different systems depending upon how the coordinator uses those rushers. There are many more variables than X guy is a good player.
Reply/Quote