Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Remake
Nominations for a song where you feel the the remake was better than the original.

My nomination:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Heres a good one for ya! RHC - Higher Ground. Originally by Stevie Wonder. I bet he didn't see this remake coming. Ninja

Reply/Quote
Johnny Cash's remake of "HURT" originally done by Nine Inch Nails is pretty awesome too.

Reply/Quote
And then, there's this. I can't say I didn't have this full blast when I was younger driving around town in my 73 Grand Prix. LOL 

Not really a remake, but it is, with the original band joining.

Reply/Quote
Whiskey in the jar by Thin Lizzy. Pretty great remake by Metallica.

Reply/Quote
Here is one of my all time faves. Jeff Healey's remake of "Run through the Jungle" by CCR.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2020, 07:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Johnny Cash's remake of "HURT" originally done by Nine Inch Nails is pretty awesome too.

This is the correct answer.

One of my personal favorites:

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2020, 07:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Johnny Cash's remake of "HURT" originally done by Nine Inch Nails is pretty awesome too.

I was going to say the same thing. Great cover! Cash really made it his own song its that good.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

A vast majority of Cash's songs are somebody else's that he made his own... Usually better. I still prefer David Allen Coe's She Used To Love Me A Lot to his. Johnny Cash's version of I'm On Fire is pretty good, but not as good as the Boss.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Jimi Hendrix’s All Along The Watchtower
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
My favorite is probably The Ghost of tom Joad by Springsteen, covered by Rage Against the Machine.

Also really loved Pearl Jam covering The Real Me by The Who. To be clear, I like the original better, but PJ did a hell of a job with it.
Reply/Quote
Janis just plins cover of me and Bobby Mcgee

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 04:35 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Janis just plins cover of me and Bobby Mcgee

Joplin. My phone is awful.

[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Five Finger Death Punch did a couple of good remakes.

They redid Kenny Wayne Shepards Blue on Black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCfSjF_vSg

And....Bad Company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VsvZmIWxY
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 03:48 AM)samhain Wrote: My favorite is probably The Ghost of tom Joad by Springsteen, covered by Rage Against the Machine.

Also really loved Pearl Jam covering The Real Me by The Who. To be clear, I like the original better, but PJ did a hell of a job with it.

Have you heard Tom Morello do it with Springsteen? I had the pleasure of seeing it live in 2014... Guitar solos are sick. It was great to see a buncha middle aged folks and senior citizens get their faces melted. They LOVED it by the way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 12:24 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Jimi Hendrix’s All Along The Watchtower

Great cover as well!

Don't forget Hey Joe was a cover as well.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

This is the best remake I've ever heard, TBH.  What Johnny Cash did here was just magic, and the video is haunting.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 01:36 PM)Synric Wrote: Five Finger Death Punch did a couple of good remakes.

They redid Kenny Wayne Shepards Blue on Black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCfSjF_vSg

And....Bad Company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_VsvZmIWxY

FFDP Bad Company remake is a must hear.  It is excellent.
Reply/Quote
Elvis' covers of Carl Perkins' "Blue Suede Shoes", Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning rain", and Chuck Willis' "C.C. Rider".
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 12:24 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Jimi Hendrix’s All Along The Watchtower

When I was in my early twenties, there was a nationwide Hendrix exhibit that went to around the country to cities and colleges and set up for a few days in each place.  It was just a tractor trailer with a bunch of memorabilia set up inside along with this crazy "Electric Church" that allowed you to DJ a bunch of samples from Hendrix songs.

My favorite item was a handwritten and signed letter to Jimi from Bob Dylan.  In it he eloquently gave an apology and gave the rationale for why he (Bob) ducked into a cab on a New York City street corner when Jimi was yelling to him from the opposite corner.  As he told it, he was very embarassed by his actions, but it was because of a complete loss of words.  He went on to explain that when writing a song, he heard it in his head in a way that he was never able to emulate in any way, nor did he think it was possible for it to be done.  Apparently he had just heard Jimi's version of Watchtower days prior, and it was identical to what he heard in his head when he wrote it.  He talked about all of the emotion that it created in him that his creation had finally be realized, but how gifted and magical Jimi must be to make it a reality.  He REALLY made it evident his belief that Jimi needed to be placed on a pedestal for all the world to admire for his achievements.  As far as running away from him that day, he stated that no one could find the right words at that moment to portray their gratitude for transcending music the way he did, and needed the time to put those words to paper so as to not stand there dumbfounded and foolish.

In no way did my synopsis of the letter do justice to what was actually said in it.  It was one of the rare times in my life that I was in complete awe at the conclusion.  Probably the same way that Bob was that day in NYC!
Reply/Quote