Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best Teams on Paper in the AFCN
(05-21-2016, 02:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have no idea how to judge a HC who was given a Super Bowl caliber team 

....it's been NINE seasons. 

Love him or hate him, he's far far removed from being given a Super Bowl caliber team. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 04:06 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: ....it's been NINE seasons. 

Love him or hate him, he's far far removed from being given a Super Bowl caliber team. 

And he hasn't done jack since the remnants of that team retired.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 04:06 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: ....it's been NINE seasons. 

And he's done diddly with it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 04:33 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: And he hasn't done jack since the remnants of that team retired.

(05-21-2016, 06:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And he's done diddly with it.

LOL, hasn't done jack....

I guess it's a testament to your organization's greatness when in six years (since the 2010 season) you coach a team to an average of 10 wins a year, a 61-35 record, two division titles, three second place finishes, four playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl appearance* while your worst season is a .500 record and you're considered a failure. 85% of NFL franchises would take that including the one in your own backyard.  

You guys would fit in well on some of the Yinzer boards. Are you sure you're not really a couple of Steeler fans posing as Bengal fans? 

*while your horny HOF QB sits out the first 4 games and you have the toughest preseason strength of schedule for that year. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 07:06 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: LOL, hasn't done jack....

I guess it's a testament to your organization's greatness when in six years (since the 2010 season) you coach a team to two division titles, three second place finishes, four playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl appearance* while your worst season is a .500 record and you're considered a failure. 85% of NFL franchises would take that including the one in your own backyard.  

You guys would fit in well on some of the Yinzer boards. Are you sure you're not really a couple of Steeler fans posing as Bengal fans? 

*while your horny HOF QB sits out the first 4 games and you have the toughest preseason strength of schedule for that year. 

This is the same fan base that said it was easier for the Ravens to win two super bowls because they were were not a true expansion team and didn't start from scratch like the Bengals. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote

I guess it's a testament to your organization's greatness when in six years (since the 2010 season) you coach a team to an average of 10 wins a year, a 61-35 record, two division titles, three second place finishes, four playoff appearances, and a Super Bowl appearance* while your worst season is a .500 record and you're considered a failure. 85% of NFL franchises would take that including the one in your own backyard.  

They aren't Steeler fans.... They didn't drop a single "N" bomb while discussing Mike Tomlin.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I didn't read any of that BS. Assuming it's just a bunch of defensive dribble about how well Tomlin has done. Since being given a SB team, a HOF QB and a HOF safety, he's done virtually nothing in the last 5 seasons. 1 playoff win...against the Bengals.  Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 07:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This is the same fan base that said it was easier for the Ravens to win two super bowls because they were were not a true expansion team and didn't start from scratch like the Bengals. 

Name the last team to dominate a season and a SB in their 5th year of existence. 

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 09:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Name the last team to dominate a season and a SB in their 5th year of existence. 

I've never tried to suggest they had it harder or easier than other teams, but some Bengals fan here tried to tell me that the fact that they were an established team made it easier. I then asked why, if this was the case, have the Bengals not been able to get themselves to a point where they have won a SB after 40 years?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 05:51 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think you left out one important variable...COACHING.
1-Steelers
2-Ravens
3-Browns
4-Bengals

Ravens may have better coaching and Steelers have better talent so it is hard to say between the top 2.  So i went with production of last year.  Why Browns ahead of Bengals?  Because Jackson will breath new life into the team and get the most out of average talent.  Marvin Lewis is a good person, a good evaluator of talent.  Lewis would make a great, amazing GM.  His clock management has improved but the team falls apart during playoffs and I have to assign at least in part, responsibility to Lewis.  

Also, Bengals have new coaching staff, a new OC, backer coach, so things may change for the better or worse.  But IMO, you must take into account the coaching when rating these four teams.

With that said, the top 3 teams in terms of talent are Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens.  Very close in talent.  
Good point with leaving out the coaching aspect - with that said:

1. Ravens
2. Steelers
3. Bengals
4. Browns

I think the Ravens and Steelers are relatively close in terms of coaching strength, but the edge has to be given to the Ravens due to some of Tomlin's questionable in game decisions with clock management. Seemed like numerous times last year they really messed up some opportunities...

And I would give the nod to the Bengals over the Browns just because while the Bengals have some new faces, Zampese has been working with Dalton for a while as the QB coach, so the transition shouldn't be too fragmented. Zampese knows Dalton's strengths, and it'll be a matter of translating what he knows into on-field performance.

I can't say anything new about Marvin that no one else has said...Its like ball-striking the hell out of a golf course and giving yourself countless short birdie putts only to lip out every short putt (some of those playoff games were more like 3 putts...).

You have to think if you keep giving yourself the opportunity...Hell, once Phil broke through and won a major he went on a little roll, maybe the Bengals can do the same if they can get over that hump...maybe just avoid the part where you get investigated by the SEC
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 01:47 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've never tried to suggest they had it harder or easier than other teams, but some Bengals fan here tried to tell me that the fact that they were an established team made it easier. I then asked why, if this was the case, have the Bengals not been able to get themselves to a point where they have won a SB after 40 years?

Simple:  we didn't sign any murderers to be our MVP or the face of our franchise.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 04:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Simple:  we didn't sign any murderers to be our MVP or the face of our franchise.

Ah. I knew there had to be a reason why.  

But if signing murderers is a prerequisite to winning Super Bowls, I wonder who the murderers were on the other 18 teams that have won Super Bowls?  Is it always the MVP or the face of the franchise?

Wait ... Did the Bengals lose their two Super Bowls because Joe Montana is a murderer?!!??!!? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 07:53 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Ah. I knew there had to be a reason why.  

But if signing murderers is a prerequisite to winning Super Bowls, I wonder who the murderers were on the other 18 teams that have won Super Bowls?  Is it always the MVP or the face of the franchise?

Wait ... Did the Bengals lose their two Super Bowls because Joe Montana is a murderer?!!??!!? Shocked

Not all teams need to sign murderers to win, some are just good, and some used to be good but need to draft rapists to stay relevant.

The Bengals have just been snake bitten.
Reply/Quote

Mother ***** did you even read what I said?

Hasn't done jack since the remnants of Cowher's team left. You literally just typed out the exact same thing in way more words.

AND DID YOU USE PRESEASON STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE AS A MATTER OF HOW GREAT THEY ARE?! The **** out of here.

That all being said, I'd take the success he's had in Cincinnati since Lewis is constantly proving how little more he can get done there.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 03:56 AM)mroudfly Wrote: Good point with leaving out the coaching aspect - with that said:

1. Ravens
2. Steelers
3. Bengals
4. Browns

I think the Ravens and Steelers are relatively close in terms of coaching strength, but the edge has to be given to the Ravens due to some of Tomlin's questionable in game decisions with clock management. Seemed like numerous times last year they really messed up some opportunities...

And I would give the nod to the Bengals over the Browns just because while the Bengals have some new faces, Zampese has been working with Dalton for a while as the QB coach, so the transition shouldn't be too fragmented. Zampese knows Dalton's strengths, and it'll be a matter of translating what he knows into on-field performance.

I can't say anything new about Marvin that no one else has said...Its like ball-striking the hell out of a golf course and giving yourself countless short birdie putts only to lip out every short putt (some of those playoff games were more like 3 putts...).

You have to think if you keep giving yourself the opportunity...Hell, once Phil broke through and won a major he went on a little roll, maybe the Bengals can do the same if they can get over that hump...maybe just avoid the part where you get investigated by the SEC

I can live with Ravens having a better coaching staff then the Steelers. In fact I like the Ravens head coach.

And I think it can be argued that the Bengals are rated second or third based on getting Talent from their players yes the Bengals me blow it in the playoffs but in terms of players turning their lives around and making them better players just look what they got from Nelson
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 09:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I didn't read any of that BS. 
I bet that you did.....every last syllable. 
(05-22-2016, 11:34 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Mother ***** did you even read what I said?

Hasn't done jack since the remnants of Cowher's team left. You literally just typed out the exact same thing in way more words.

AND DID YOU USE PRESEASON STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE AS A MATTER OF HOW GREAT THEY ARE?! The **** out of here.

That all being said, I'd take the success he's had in Cincinnati since Lewis is constantly proving how little more he can get done there.

"remnants of Cowher's team"
Well, I guess that since it was under BC that they drafted Roethlisberger then I guess Tomlin may never truly have his own team.

I used 2010 since it was his 4th season, most of the LB corp and DB corp was added on his watch along with most of the WRs and RBs and O line. 1/2 of the starting SB 45 roster was added after BC had left. I think thats a fair enough starting point. 

And yes I said preseason SOS because there was much hype about it being the hardest preseason SOS in history (IIRC) and BB was out the first four games because of his troubles keeping Little Ben in his pants.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 03:07 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I bet that you did.....every last syllable. 

"remnants of Cowher's team"
Well, I guess that since it was under BC that they drafted Roethlisberger then I guess Tomlin may never truly have his own team.

I used 2010 since it was his 4th season, most of the LB corp and DB corp was added on his watch along with most of the WRs and RBs and O line. 1/2 of the starting SB 45 roster was added after BC had left. I think thats a fair enough starting point. 

And yes I said preseason SOS because there was much hype about it being the hardest preseason SOS in history (IIRC) and BB was out the first four games because of his troubles keeping Little Ben in his pants.  

You apparently don't know what the word 'remnants' means, so we're done here.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 03:07 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I bet that you did.....every last syllable. 

I bet that's a bet you would lose. 

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 05:24 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: You apparently don't know what the word 'remnants' means, so we're done here.

Of course I know what it means. But when used like you are here, it's got a very ambiguous meaning. 

A full one half....50%.....of the starters in SB45 were brought in by Tomlin, and that's where I choose to make the cut off. Agree or not, at least I provide a solid starting point rather some ambiguous point that you can arbitrarily move to suit your opinion. 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2016, 07:01 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Of course I know what it means. But when used like you are here, it's got a very ambiguous meaning. 

A full one half....50%.....of the starters in SB45 were brought in by Tomlin, and that's where I choose to make the cut off. Agree or not, at least I provide a solid starting point rather some ambiguous point that you can arbitrarily move to suit your opinion. 

Here's an unambiguous point....the steelers suck. And no amount of statistics you can provide will disprove that.
Reply/Quote