Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best WR class in draft in years
Per the experts on NFL talk shows. The WR class is deep in talent.

So let's look at Bengals, Boyd gone, Higgins is very unhappy and wants traded after one year franchise tag. Chase needs resigned in 2024 to avoid the mess they are in with Higgins.

The Bengals got Boyd and Higgins after round 1. The Bengals could go to the draft again and get top talent at low pay for a few years. This gives them money to sign Chase. This gives them targets for Burrow.

Bengals can rule out a 1st round for Higgins, since Diggs trade by Bills only got a round 2. I would be happy for a round 2 for Higgins, which is better than the nothing they will get when tag is up. The WR class being the best in years, makes replacing Boyd and Higgins via the draft now a smart move. The WR's that come in might be every bit as good as Boyd and Higgins, for the WR draft class is deep in talent. Boyd and Higgins were not round 1, so it shows there is talent after round 1, especially this 2024 draft. Trading Higgins sets up being able to draft 2 WR's early at lower pay for their first years. Also if Higgins demands traded, he is not going to risk injury with Bengals, maybe to the point of taking games off. The focus should not be on Higgins, the focus should be on getting back to Super Bowl, and this WR draft class could reload to do that. Boyd and Higgins may not even be missed with this draft class of WR's.

I know Bengals will want a big DT at some point in draft, but Bengals could use 2 top WR's out of this class, plus the best RB they can draft for extra depth with Mixon gone. Get some WR's and a RB, so Burrow has weapons and doesn't get sacked to death due to lack of weapons. Get the ball out of Burrows hands and to other players to gain yards and get tackled. Less hits on Burrow. Burrows game at LSU and here is he can see the whole field and hits the open man, but that means he must have a load of receivers and runners. I don't like Higgins being in question, it might be better to trade for a pick from this years great talent pool at WR. Get somebody who wants to play here in 2024, and put focus on Super Bowl not Higgins.

WR, DT and a RB are needed, but this draft is loaded at WR more than most years. Best Available Athlete swings to a reload at WR, but Bengals can come away with a good DT and a good RB, if they play their cards right. The O Line coach of the 1988 Bengals said you can often find good, tough O Line players late in the draft, such as depth at Guard or Center. Some of the best TE's are not 1st round, but later rounds. Special Teams players in late rounds also, guys who could make the team with great special teams careers in college. I look for Bengals to reload and get back in Super Bowl fast. The free agency sets that up very well. Bengals filled some needs in free agency. If Burrow is healthy and a good team around him, Burrow can get Bengals to Super Bowl.

GO BENGALS

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Only Kevin can start a thread with a title "Best WR Class in draft in years" type up several large paragraphs and not mention a single draft prospect.  Hilarious
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 05:11 AM)kevin Wrote: Per the experts on NFL talk shows.  The WR class is deep in talent.  

So let's look at Bengals, Boyd gone, Higgins is very unhappy and wants traded after one year franchise tag.  Chase needs resigned in 2024 to avoid the mess they are in with Higgins.  

The Bengals got Boyd and Higgins after round 1.   The Bengals could go to the draft again and get top talent at low pay for a few years.  This gives them money to sign Chase.  This gives them targets for Burrow.  

Bengals can rule out a 1st round for Higgins, since Diggs trade by Bills only got a round 2.   I would be happy for a round 2 for Higgins, which is better than the nothing they will get when tag is up.  The WR class being the best in years, makes replacing Boyd and Higgins via the draft now a smart move.  The WR's that come in might be every bit as good as Boyd and Higgins, for the WR draft class is deep in talent. Boyd and Higgins were not round 1, so it shows there is talent after round 1, especially this 2024 draft.  Trading Higgins sets up being able to draft 2 WR's early at lower pay for their first years. Also if Higgins demands traded, he is not going to risk injury with Bengals, maybe to the point of taking games off.  The focus should not be on Higgins, the focus should be on getting back to Super Bowl, and this WR draft class could reload to do that.  Boyd and Higgins may not even be missed with this draft class of WR's.  

I know Bengals will want a big DT at some point in draft, but Bengals could use 2 top WR's out of this class, plus the best RB they can draft for extra depth with Mixon gone.  Get some WR's and a RB, so Burrow has weapons and doesn't get sacked to death due to lack of weapons. Get the ball out of Burrows hands and to other players to gain yards and get tackled. Less hits on Burrow. Burrows game at LSU and here is he can see the whole field and hits the open man, but that means he must have a load of receivers and runners.  I don't like Higgins being in question, it might be better to trade for a pick from this years great talent pool at WR. Get somebody who wants to play here in 2024, and put focus on Super Bowl not Higgins.

WR, DT and a RB are needed, but this draft is loaded at WR more than most years.  Best Available Athlete swings to a reload at WR, but Bengals can come away with a good DT and a good RB, if they play their cards right.  The O Line coach of the 1988 Bengals said you can often find good, tough O Line players late in the draft, such as depth at Guard or Center.  Some of the best TE's are not 1st round, but later rounds.  Special Teams players in late rounds also, guys who could make the team with great special teams careers in college. I look for Bengals to reload and get back in Super Bowl fast.  The free agency sets that up very well.  Bengals filled some needs in free agency.  If Burrow is healthy and a good team around him, Burrow can get Bengals to Super Bowl.

GO BENGALS

Tiger

I am not certain that is why Burrow is getting sacked/hit a lot...

Second bolded, if they have issues hitting o-linemen in the early rounds, why would we be optimistic of them finding gems in the later rounds? Then trusting Pollack to put his polish on said gems? Color me skeptical...

I get the point of loading up with the talent, and it would be fun to have Burrow surrounded by all sorts of weapons, but the Bengals need to build up the walls to protect him first IMO. Now if the Bengals drafted the weapons and signed a NT, LG, future center, etc.. I would be on board, but not sure those positions will be available in the cuts after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 09:54 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I am not certain that is why Burrow is getting sacked/hit a lot...

Second bolded, if they have issues hitting o-linemen in the early rounds, why would we be optimistic of them finding gems in the later rounds? Then trusting Pollack to put his polish on said gems? Color me skeptical...

I get the point of loading up with the talent, and it would be fun to have Burrow surrounded by all sorts of weapons, but the Bengals need to build up the walls to protect him first IMO. Now if the Bengals drafted the weapons and signed a NT, LG, future center, etc.. I would be on board, but not sure those positions will be available in the cuts after the draft.

Agreed. I've never thought during the course of any season that "Burrow needs more weapons." Not once. It's an idea that always sounds more appealing in April than in October. When you're watching the games you realize he just needs more time to do his thing. Some of that's on him. Some of that's on the coaches. But it's primarily on the players whose job is to protect him imo.

I'd also say that every year now seems to have a "bumper crop" of WRs. It's become a mirage. I don't know if every year necessarily has a Marvin or Nabers (or for that matter Bowers). But there are always plenty of Xavier Legettes, Adonai Mitchells, Malachi Corleys, etc. That's just how the game has evolved. I don't mind picking them, but I hope we don't get burned by thinking they're in short supply.
Reply/Quote
Short answer, yes the Bengals should capitalize and take at least one WR in this draft. However, I don't see "lack of weapons" as the issue, the issue is with protection and play calling has played a large part in the protection problem. *We won't talk about Joe holding onto the ball too long...*

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 05:11 AM)kevin Wrote: Per the experts on NFL talk shows.  The WR class is deep in talent.  

So let's look at Bengals, Boyd gone, Higgins is very unhappy and wants traded after one year franchise tag.  Chase needs resigned in 2024 to avoid the mess they are in with Higgins.  

The Bengals got Boyd and Higgins after round 1.   The Bengals could go to the draft again and get top talent at low pay for a few years.  This gives them money to sign Chase.  This gives them targets for Burrow.  

Bengals can rule out a 1st round for Higgins, since Diggs trade by Bills only got a round 2.   I would be happy for a round 2 for Higgins, which is better than the nothing they will get when tag is up.  The WR class being the best in years, makes replacing Boyd and Higgins via the draft now a smart move.  The WR's that come in might be every bit as good as Boyd and Higgins, for the WR draft class is deep in talent. Boyd and Higgins were not round 1, so it shows there is talent after round 1, especially this 2024 draft.  Trading Higgins sets up being able to draft 2 WR's early at lower pay for their first years. Also if Higgins demands traded, he is not going to risk injury with Bengals, maybe to the point of taking games off.  The focus should not be on Higgins, the focus should be on getting back to Super Bowl, and this WR draft class could reload to do that.  Boyd and Higgins may not even be missed with this draft class of WR's.  

I know Bengals will want a big DT at some point in draft, but Bengals could use 2 top WR's out of this class, plus the best RB they can draft for extra depth with Mixon gone.  Get some WR's and a RB, so Burrow has weapons and doesn't get sacked to death due to lack of weapons. Get the ball out of Burrows hands and to other players to gain yards and get tackled. Less hits on Burrow. Burrows game at LSU and here is he can see the whole field and hits the open man, but that means he must have a load of receivers and runners.  I don't like Higgins being in question, it might be better to trade for a pick from this years great talent pool at WR. Get somebody who wants to play here in 2024, and put focus on Super Bowl not Higgins.

WR, DT and a RB are needed, but this draft is loaded at WR more than most years.  Best Available Athlete swings to a reload at WR, but Bengals can come away with a good DT and a good RB, if they play their cards right.  The O Line coach of the 1988 Bengals said you can often find good, tough O Line players late in the draft, such as depth at Guard or Center.  Some of the best TE's are not 1st round, but later rounds.  Special Teams players in late rounds also, guys who could make the team with great special teams careers in college. I look for Bengals to reload and get back in Super Bowl fast.  The free agency sets that up very well.  Bengals filled some needs in free agency.  If Burrow is healthy and a good team around him, Burrow can get Bengals to Super Bowl.

GO BENGALS

Tiger

Most teams could use two top wrs out of this class.  But the bengals drafted 2 wrs last year.  They don’t need two top wrs this year.  
Reply/Quote
1 second, 2 seconds, Sack. That is an O Line problem.

3 seconds and more, that is a coverage sack. Pass Catchers did not get separation and get open.

With Boyd gone and Higgins heading out the door, Bengals will need to replace talent with talent. I remember fans who thought Bengals were solid with players such as Baby Hawk who never got separation or got open. Bengals went Super Bowl because Burrow had Chase, Higgins, Boyd and a good TE and at RB Mixon. Plus a good Defense.

As for who Bengals drafted at WR last year, they did not draft a Higgins or a Boyd.

The fact remains that this is the strongest WR draft class in decades, per NFL scouts. That means there should be top talent in round 2 or 3. Losing Boyd and soon Higgins does force a reload. I know the talk is a DT in round 1 for Bengals, and that makes sense. Bengals could use a top DT up the gut on D. However if Bengals draft LSU WR Brian Thomas at 6'4" and 200 lbs. if still on the board, there is a big tall replacement for Boyd and soon to leave Higgins, so that Chase isn't double covered for lack of talent. If not round 1, at least round 2 or 3, because NFL scouts say this is the best WR class in decades, and Boyd is gone and Higgins is heading for the door.

Also, Mixon gone. Bengals have already said they would like to get a RB somewhere in this draft. Yes, Bengals have other RB's besides Mixon, but not the workhorse Mixon was. Bengals will add a RB to a stable of RB's. It's not a top class of RB's, but CBS has the top 3 as Jonathan Brooks of Texas, Trey Benson of Florida State and Braelen Allen of Wisconsin, and add Jalon Wright of Tennessee for a 4th. Bengals did say they would like too add a college RB in this draft after losing Mixon.

So I would not be surprised to see a WR in rounds 1 to 3. I would not be surprised to see a RB in rounds 3 to round 5. Losing Mixon, Boyd and soon Higgins is no small thing. Must Score Points in Today's High Scoring NFL.

Bengals may take a DT in round 1, and that is a need. I expect a WR not long after and also a RB. Bengals will grab from the best WR class in decades, and they want a rookie RB also....However if this 6'4" LSU WR is still on the board in round 1, Bengals will be tempted to grab WR Brian Thomas and grab a DT later. Chase and Thomas is talent that keeps Bengals awesome at WR depth.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 09:54 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I am not certain that is why Burrow is getting sacked/hit a lot...

Yep, build up the OL with quality, polished players and then think about weapons. We can draft a RT early and a Guard might be available 
after the draft in Connor Williams, Dalton Risner or Andrus Peat. Burrow has weapons already and it would be nice to add a replacement for
Boyd this year and for Tee next year, but for all we know the replacements might already be here.

There will be talent at WR after the first round and we have lots of picks to trade around if we have a player targeted.
Reply/Quote
I’m only open to WR early because we appear to be good at drafting them and we appear to be terrible at drafting OL. So if the plan is to continue to draft what we are good at drafting and to continue to sign veteran free agent OL who we are bad at drafting. I’m cool with it.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m only open to WR early because we appear to be good at drafting them and we appear to be terrible at drafting OL. So if the plan is to continue to draft what we are good at drafting and to continue to sign veteran free agent OL who we are bad at drafting. I’m cool with it.

Definitely a valid point.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 08:35 AM)Synric Wrote: Only Kevin can start a thread with a title "Best WR Class in draft in years" type up several large paragraphs and not mention a single draft prospect.  Hilarious

Kevin's the GOAT bro don't make fun of him! 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:33 PM)J24 Wrote: Kevin's the GOAT bro don't make fun of him! 

The Grandpa of all time?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The more I look at this Wr class the more overrated I think it is. Outside of the big three of Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze I don't think there is a #1 caliber WR.

Also I think it's more likley we find a Boyd replacement than Tee. Wouldn't mind drafting a WR like Brenden Rice in the third RD in this draft.

Long arms at 33 inches, 4.5 40, I believe 12 TDs last season, great kick returner at Colorado, and nice bloodline.
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The Grandpa of all time?

Really  Truck?
J24

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:43 PM)J24 Wrote: Really  Truck?

LOL I know what I means, but he's also our resident grandpa, so that's why I wrote it Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:41 PM)J24 Wrote: The more I look at this Wr class the more overrated I think it is. Outside of the big three of Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze I don't think there is a #1 caliber WR.

Also I think it's more likley we find a Boyd replacement than Tee. Wouldn't mind drafting a WR like Brenden Rice in the third RD in this draft.

Long arms at 33 inches, 4.5 40, I believe 12 TDs last season,  great kick returner at Colorado,  and nice bloodline.

Good thing we are only looking for a #2 WR eh J24... Wink

I also like Brenden Rice with one of our 3rd round picks if we don't go with a WR earlier. Hopefully there is a little of Jerry in him at the pro level.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:41 PM)J24 Wrote: The more I look at this Wr class the more overrated I think it is. Outside of the big three of Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze I don't think there is a #1 caliber WR.

Long arms at 33 inches, 4.5 40, I believe 12 TDs last season,  great kick returner at Colorado,  and nice bloodline.

The good news is that the Bengals don't need a WR1, a dynamic player like Xavier Leggett should add much excitement to the offense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Long arms at 33 inches, 4.5 40, I believe 12 TDs last season, great kick returner at Colorado, and nice bloodline.

I’ve been trying to sell myself on somebody as a Tee replacement. And I’m definitely not there, all I see are question marks.

Moving on from Tee and then attempting to draft his replacement early and ending up with a bust would be a major setback imo.

We drafted him 33 overall and hit damn it. That’s the type of draft pick you lock up long term.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 04:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The Grandpa of all time?
 Yes, I'm older than most of you.  I didn't start a new thread though, I pulled up this old one.  Just wanted to say that it probably will be DT in round 1.  However if this Brian Thomas from LSU slides down, Bengals may have to consider the tall 6'4" and 200 lb WR as a Randy Moss or Chris Henry sized target.  Burrow, Chase and this Thomas all LSU.  He is suppose to go before Bengals pick, but a player Bengals might want to consider if still on the board.   

So somebody like WR Brian Thomas could be an option.  I know odds are it will be a DT.   If not a WR in 1, maybe a WR in 2 or 3 with what NFL scouts call the best WR class in decades, not me, NFL scouts say that.  Bengals say they would like a RB in this draft to help with Mixon gone, so look for a RB pick as draft gets past first few rounds. 

Hoping Bengals have a good draft.  Much of the Super Bowl team is still here, so reload and get back to The Super Bowl...GO BENGALS. Yes. I'm old enough to say that I saw the first Bengals game in person in 1968. I was also the first person to be on the field as a Bengal mascot in 1970 preseason game Detroit at Cincinnati. As a new Freshman, Miamisburg Band put me in a Tiger costume. As a 6' freshman, I was tall enough to fit the costume. Instead of trumpet, I got to be first human Benzo Mascot running around Riverfront field waving to fans, which was fun. Always a Bengals Fan. GO BENGALS and BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I keep hearing how good this WR class is but I don't see any prospects I love at the rounds they're being mocked in. Somebody tell me who these great wr gets would be
Reply/Quote