Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best WR in franchise history - Analysis
(06-22-2022, 03:10 PM)Whatever Wrote: From what I was told from a long time Steelers fan, Swann is basically in because he showed up big in nationally televised games.  Those were rare back in the day and fans didn't get to see players very often and he kind of fooled people into thinking he was better than he really was by coming up big in those games with a national audience.

That makes sense. The national acclaim and hardware gets him in. I am skeptical that a player like that gets in nowadays, but Edelman is the perfect litmus test for that IMO. There are plenty of fans arguing back and forth since his retirement. He always came up big when it mattered and has three SBs with a SB MVP. 

I don't think he gets in, but I won't be surprised if he does. 
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2022, 03:10 PM)Whatever Wrote: From what I was told from a long time Steelers fan, Swann is basically in because he showed up big in nationally televised games.  Those were rare back in the day and fans didn't get to see players very often and he kind of fooled people into thinking he was better than he really was by coming up big in those games with a national audience.

Most people don't know that Swann was not even the best WR on his own team. John Stallworth was more productive.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2022, 03:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That makes sense. The national acclaim and hardware gets him in. I am skeptical that a player like that gets in nowadays, but Edelman is the perfect litmus test for that IMO. There are plenty of fans arguing back and forth since his retirement. He always came up big when it mattered and has three SBs with a SB MVP. 

Edelman will get in! He has the second most receiving yards in post season history!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2022, 03:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That makes sense. The national acclaim and hardware gets him in. I am skeptical that a player like that gets in nowadays, but Edelman is the perfect litmus test for that IMO. There are plenty of fans arguing back and forth since his retirement. He always came up big when it mattered and has three SBs with a SB MVP. 

For offensive skill position players, I think it will be tough because fantasy football is such a big part of national player perception now.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2022, 04:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Edelman will get in! He has the second most receiving yards in post season history!

It's subjective, but I personally don't think of him as a HOF'er.  
Reply/Quote
I know I'm being nitpicky over something that probably doesn't matter, but I disagree LaFell would be 10th on the list.

He was only a Bengal for 2 seasons, putting up just 1410 yards and 9 TDs.
His best production in a single season was 862 yards, 6 TDs.

Tim McGee deserves to also be ahead of LaFell.
4703 yards and 25 TDs for CIN at 16.7 YPR.
Had 3 seasons of 700+ yards, with one season at 1211 yards and 8 TDs.

McGee should be ahead of Marvin Jones too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know I'm being nitpicky over something that probably doesn't matter, but I disagree LaFell would be 10th on the list.

He was only a Bengal for 2 seasons, putting up just 1410 yards and 9 TDs.
His best production in a single season was 862 yards, 6 TDs.

Tim McGee deserves to also be ahead of LaFell.
4703 yards and 25 TDs for CIN at 16.7 YPR.
Had 3 seasons of 700+ yards, with one season at 1211 yards and 8 TDs.

Yeah, when I did per game averages, Darnay Scott was the guy I would elect 10th. In reality, John Ross came out in 10th but Scott was 11th. Ross had decent per game averages, particularly touchdowns, but just didn't play much. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:00 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: It's subjective, but I personally don't think of him as a HOF'er.  

I don't either.

Even if you combine Edelman's postseason with his regular season, he's only at:
8264 yards, 41 TDs.

I don't think it's fair to put Edelman ahead of guys like Chad or even Wes Welker or AJ Green just because his team went to the playoffs during nearly all of his career and got to get a lot of postseason yards.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:00 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: It's subjective, but I personally don't think of him as a HOF'er.  
I get it but still Edelman was money when it counted the most!
(06-24-2022, 12:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't either.

Even if you combine Edelman's postseason with his regular season, he's only at:
8264 yards, 41 TDs.

I don't think it's fair to put Edelman ahead of guys like Chad or even Wes Welker or AJ Green just because his team went to the playoffs during nearly all of his career and got to get a lot of postseason yards.

Honestly I would put all three of those guys in + Hines Ward as well as Edelman. The voting is way harsh on WRs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:56 PM)J24 Wrote: I get it but still Edelman was money when it counted the most!

Honestly I would put all three of those guys in + Hines Ward as well as Edelman. The voting is way harsh on WRs.

There's probably other WRs that deserve to get in too that haven't yet.
I haven't looked at the list of eligible ones.
Edelman would be (very) low on priority list right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote