Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Best (and worst) offensive lines in franchise history - Analysis
Back again with some Z-Score analysis, and this time we are looking at all 54 offensive lines in franchise history in an effort to determine which were the best, and which were the worst. As a quick refresher, here is a link that defines what z-score is. All you really need to know is that by calculating z-score, we are able to compare offensive lines across eras by looking at how they performed in relation to their peers at the time. These offensive line ratings are generated from two metrics; sack percentage and yards per carry. While there are many influencing factors such as offensive philosophies, injuries and pass-blocking schemes that can influence these metrics, the general idea is that the better the offensive line, the better you are able to protect your QB and run the ball. 

With all of this in mind, let's take a look at our list.

[Image: 3Wd5wdU.png][Image: x9A0z1Q.png]

The King - In 1986, the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles was topped by "That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne and Friends. Down in Cincinnati, the offensive line made this their mantra as they led a dominating offensive unit that finished 3rd in points per game, first in yards per carry, and allowed the 6th lowest sack percentage. Led by Bengals' legend Anthony Munoz, this group graded out with a rating of 3.2, far and away the best rating calculated. This kind of performance allowed James Brooks to post the best year of his career (1,773 scrimmage yards on 6.8 yards per touch) and propelled Boomer Esiason to the first Pro Bowl appearance of his career. Overall, the 1986 squad finished 10-6 and narrowly missed out on the playoffs due to Kansas City and New York holding tiebreakers over them. 

The Dunce - The 2008 season was certainly one to forget for Bengals fans. The housing market crashed, and coincidentally, so did the Bengals offense. Carson Palmer only lasted for four games until the barrage of pressure finally did damage, tearing a ligament in his elbow and forcing him to miss the rest of the season. As his replacement, in stepped "Crazy-Legs Fitzpatrick", a young and daring Harvard grad that was traded for prior to the 2007 season. Despite remaining healthy, Fitzpatrick fared no better than Palmer as he was sacked on 9.3% of his dropbacks, behind only J.T. O'Sullivan at 12.7%. At running back, Cincinnati deployed Cedric Benson and Chris Perry who combined to average 3.05 yards per carry. They would finish the season with a 4-11-1 record and the worst offense in the league, scoring only 12.7 points per game. 
Reply/Quote
No surprise at all that 2020 and 21 are down there at the bottom.

Thanks for the hard work ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Look at the difference between 2014 and 2015 and ask yourself what was our biggest change on Offense.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Great work Goose.

When I was in middle school in the 70's I played a football board game against myself and kept stats. I would make 8 teams and play an entire 14 game season (56 total games). It may sound geeky and pathetic, but there were no computers to play on and I had no video games.

I had no idea what the formula for "passer rating" was so I made my own formula using Z-scores for completion%, td%, int%, and yards per completion. I still believe that the NFL should use "yards per completion" instead of "yards per attempt" in their formula because they are basically counting completion percentage twice.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Look at the difference between 2014 and 2015 and ask yourself what was our biggest change on Offense.

As much as people hate on Jeremy Hill now, in 2014 he looked as good as any RB we ever had and everyone loved him.  He did not get a lot of carries the first half of the season, but over the last 9 games he averaged 103 yards per game and 5.4 yards per carry.

The way his production just fell of a cliff after that is still a mystery to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: As much as people hate on Jeremy Hill now, in 2014 he looked as good as any RB we ever had and everyone loved him.  He did not get a lot of carries the first half of the season, but over the last 9 games he averaged 103 yards per game and 5.4 yards per carry.

The way his production just fell of a cliff after that is still a mystery to me.

Perhaps the personnel change I'm referring to contributed the Jeremy gaining 400 fewer yards on one more attempt in 15 than he did 14. 

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Look at the difference between 2014 and 2015 and ask yourself what was our biggest change on Offense.

Whitworth didn't have as good a year, despite still having a great year in '15?

'14 was his best year as a pro and I believe is the best in franchise history, post-Munoz (may even be better than some of his seasons).

0 sacks, 1 QB hit, 7 hurries and had a 1,000 yard rusher at a 5.1 YPC, while the team rushed for 2,147 yards at 4.4 YPC.

No receivers in the WC killed us, period.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps the personnel change I'm referring to contributed the Jeremy gaining 400 fewer yards on one more attempt in 15 than he did 14. 

I guess we will never know if you don't tell us who you are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:48 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps the personnel change I'm referring to contributed the Jeremy gaining 400 fewer yards on one more attempt in 15 than he did 14. 

(05-30-2022, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess we will never know if you don't tell us who you are talking about.

Hes referring to Jermaine Gresham. But I believe the offensive philosophy changed from 2014 to 2015 because of the lack of healthy pass catchers in 2014.

And to be fair Jeremy Hill was still very very good in the redzone in 2015.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 12:02 PM)Synric Wrote: And to be fair Jeremy Hill was still very very good in the redzone in 2015.

Punching it in from the 1 because the passing attack carried them downfield means nothing.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 12:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Punching it in from the 1 because the passing attack carried them downfield means nothing.

It was more than that lol once they got inside the 20 they were able to run effectively. Which made them one of the most dangerous redzone teams in 2015.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 12:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Hes referring to Jermaine Gresham. But I believe the offensive philosophy changed from 2014 to 2015 because of the lack of healthy pass catchers in 2014.

And to be fair Jeremy Hill was still very very good in the redzone in 2015.

Yep. I'm still salty we took Eifert and cut ties with a productive, healthy, good blocking TE. 

I remember pounding the table for DeAndre Hopkins instead of Eifert and then getting Travis Kelce in the 2nd and David Bakhtiari in the 3rd.........

OK, I made that last part up. Pretty sure I had a man crush on Jamie Collins that year 

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess we will never know if you don't tell us who you are talking about.

Apologies. life got in the way...

Poor form on my part

Reply/Quote
Interesting chart. It is pretty indicative of things even though sometimes it yields results that do not pass the eye test. An example is saying 2021 was worse than 2020.

Both were ultimately bad.

2020 had a HUGE issue with defenders running free in the backfield which meant the offense couldn't function. Ultimately the lines inability to pick up blitzes and stunts led to Burrow's injury too.

2021 by contrast allowed more sacks BUT also did not have defenders running free in the backfield. As a result the offense was able to function.

So while observation would say 2020 was worse the problem is how to show the issues statistically?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 03:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep. I'm still salty we took Eifert and cut ties with a productive, healthy, good blocking TE. 

Gresham wasn't actually healthy. He needed back surgery in the '14-'15 offseason for a herniated disc. The medical staff not catching and fixing that followed by Dave Lapham publicly roasted him for quitting on the team. Then he had to settle for a 1yr/$3m deal in FA because he got the back surgery so late in the offseason when FA medical checks confirmed he really did have a back problem that needed surgery.

I like Gresham, but that bridge was thoroughly burned by the Bengals medical staff and Dave Lapham. There was no way he was coming back in '15.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/12/14/7391367/bengals-te-jermaine-gresham-has-on-air-spat-with-dave-lapham
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2014-bengals-steelers-week-17/2014/12/28/7459257/jermaine-gresham-steelers-bengals
https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/15756/bengals-jermaine-gresham-marvin-lewis-at-crossroads-free-agency

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Both Palmer and Dalton played behind some shitty lines at the end of their tenures....wow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2022, 10:57 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Both Palmer and Dalton played behind some shitty lines at the end of their tenures....wow.

Bodes well for Burrow since he got rid of the bad o-lines early in his career
Reply/Quote
What amazes me is that we still made it to the Super Bowl despite 2021 having our third lowest rating.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2022, 11:04 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bodes well for Burrow since he got rid of the bad o-lines early in his career

That's the hope! 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Great work Goose.

When I was in middle school in the 70's I played a football board game against myself and kept stats.  I would make 8 teams and play an entire 14 game season (56 total games).  It may sound geeky and pathetic, but there were no computers to play on and I had no video games.

I had no idea what the formula for "passer rating" was so I made my own formula using Z-scores for completion%, td%, int%, and yards per completion.  I still believe that the NFL should use "yards per completion" instead of "yards per attempt" in their formula because they are basically counting completion percentage twice.

APBA?  I used to play Baseball APBA with my brother and uncle all the time.  
Reply/Quote