Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Best at every number
All I have is the picture, but #1 can be debatable. Other than that which Bengal is the best in the NFL at their number:[Image: 356376235_809224580561176_68204336455518...e=64A526DA] 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So i looked it up and Football reference axtually lists all the guys to wear certain numbers and how long they wore it. I was very surprised they recorded such an obscure stat.

My 1st guess was Reader but Jeffrey Simmons and Maxx Crosby wear 98 and I’d assume most non Bengals have both those guys over Reader. Because of sack numbers i personally have to say Maxx Crosby is the best #98 in the league right now so i can’t say Reader.

Next guy is Higgins with number 85 (yeah i know he’s switching #s). His only real competition is George Kittle. Statistically Tee wins because of receptions and yards. Kittle did score 11 times to Tee’s 7 last year but i have to say Tee was the best #85. I’m fully aware most other teams’ fans would say Kittle.

Burrow is the best #9…..easily too
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Chase is the best #1 in the league!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Tee wearing #5 is possibly better than Ramsey right now.
Reply/Quote
If Orlando would have kept 57 he could have made a case.

Trey should be in the discussion for 91

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 02:01 AM)J24 Wrote: Chase is the best #1 in the league!

Yes, just what I was going to say. I take Chase over Hurts. Would suck to have Roquan Smith's number.

I am big number zero. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Jalen Hurts just went 14-1 as a QB, led his team to the Super Bowl, and should have been the 2nd player ever to win Super Bowl MVP in a losing effort. No one outside of Cincy or Louisiana would give Chase the nod over Hurts

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 07:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Jalen Hurts just went 14-1 as a QB, led his team to the Super Bowl, and should have been the 2nd player ever to win Super Bowl MVP in a losing effort. No one outside of Cincy or Louisiana would give Chase the nod over Hurts

Heart says Chase

Head says Hurts. The Eagles 2022-2023 season was magical.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 07:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Jalen Hurts just went 14-1 as a QB, led his team to the Super Bowl, and should have been the 2nd player ever to win Super Bowl MVP in a losing effort. No one outside of Cincy or Louisiana would give Chase the nod over Hurts

Watch when we win the Super Bowl Feb 2024.

Hurts finally found his way, damn good QB but I would never take him over Burrow and Chase.

Chase is the best WR in the league and he will prove it this year if he stays healthy.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 08:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watch when we win the Super Bowl Feb 2024.

Hurts finally found his way, damn good QB but I would never take him over Burrow and Chase.

Chase is the best WR in the league and he will prove it this year if he stays healthy.

No one would take Hurts over Burrow but Burrow doesn't wear #1. 

Everyone outside of Cincinnati would assert Chase is not even the best current WR out of LSU.

When woulda-coulda happens this year then we can revisit, but as of today Jalen Hurts is the best NFL player to wear #1

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 09:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one would take Hurts over Burrow but Burrow doesn't wear #1. 

Everyone outside of Cincinnati would assert Chase is not even the best current WR out of LSU.

When woulda-coulda happens this year then we can revisit, but as of today Jalen Hurts is the best NFL player to wear #1

I getcha, you know me Bfine. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Well you're on a Bengals message board so it's Chase!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 09:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one would take Hurts over Burrow but Burrow doesn't wear #1. 

Are we solely grading players off of last year for this exercise, then?  Hurts was mediocre his first two years before having a great year last year.  Chase walked into the league a stud and backed it up last year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 12:43 AM)J24 Wrote: Well you're on a Bengals message board so it's Chase!

But it should still be real football conversation and not homer-vision.

Bengals w/o Chase. Went 3-1 and had some great offensive games.

Eagles w/o Hurts, are irrelevant.

Hell, if Burrow is out, Chase is irrelevant.

No player on any team impacts a game like the QB. That's why team are constantly searching for "the guy". Hurts is, the guy. He isn't Burrow, but he is a franchise QB you can build around.

Keep in mind, Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson, the two most impactful WR's in the recent history of the NFL. 0 Super Bowl wins. QB > WR everytime.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Regarding the best #1, you have to go with the talented QB.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 02:00 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: But it should still be real football conversation and not homer-vision.

Bengals w/o Chase. Went 3-1 and had some great offensive games.

Eagles w/o Hurts, are irrelevant.

Hell, if Burrow is out, Chase is irrelevant.

No player on any team impacts a game like the QB. That's why team are constantly searching for "the guy". Hurts is, the guy. He isn't Burrow, but he is a franchise QB you can build around.

Keep in mind, Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson, the two most impactful WR's in the recent history of the NFL. 0 Super Bowl wins. QB > WR everytime.

If it was Most Valuable at Every Jersey Number, I'd agree that QB's should have the edge, but it's Best at Every Jersey Number.

We did go 3-1 with Chase out, but didn't play a single playoff team in that stretch.  And that loss was an ugly 32-13 drubbing by the Browns in which the offense couldn't do anything.  The Bengals would later drop the Browns 23-10 with Chase in the lineup.  Plus the Bengals didn't play a defense ranked higher than 13th in that span.  

That Eagles team was absolutely stacked last year.  The only reason they were 0-2 with Hurts out is Minnishew had 3 picks and 4 fumbles.  How does your backup sucking make you a better individual player?  

There's all time greats at every position that never won a SB.  And seriously, what does team success have to do with individual greatness?  
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 01:07 AM)Whatever Wrote: Are we solely grading players off of last year for this exercise, then?  Hurts was mediocre his first two years before having a great year last year.  Chase walked into the league a stud and backed it up last year.  

It would have to be based on last year. After the '21 season, it would have been Chase easy. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 10:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It would have to be based on last year. After the '21 season, it would have been Chase easy. 

Actually after 21 Chase was the top #1, but Stafford was the top #9. 

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 10:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: If it was Most Valuable at Every Jersey Number, I'd agree that QB's should have the edge, but it's Best at Every Jersey Number.

We did go 3-1 with Chase out, but didn't play a single playoff team in that stretch.  And that loss was an ugly 32-13 drubbing by the Browns in which the offense couldn't do anything.  The Bengals would later drop the Browns 23-10 with Chase in the lineup.  Plus the Bengals didn't play a defense ranked higher than 13th in that span.  

That Eagles team was absolutely stacked last year.  The only reason they were 0-2 with Hurts out is Minnishew had 3 picks and 4 fumbles.  How does your backup sucking make you a better individual player?  

There's all time greats at every position that never won a SB.  And seriously, what does team success have to do with individual greatness?  

Did you post that the team was 0-2 without Hurts because an individual stunk and then ask what does individual greatness have to do with team success?

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 11:52 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you post that the team was 0-2 without Hurts because an individual stunk and then ask what does individual greatness have to do with team success?

No, I asked what team success has to do with individual greatness.

The Browns suck.  Are Garrett, Ward, and Chubb not great individual players, though?  

It's strange that a board populated by fans that constantly lament that a lack of team success has kept a number of great individual players out of the HoF would immediately point at team success as a measure of an individual player in a discussion of current players.
Reply/Quote