Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best fit Free Agent for Bengals..
According to the talking heads at ESPN and PFF..

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Jason-Pierre-Paul-named-best-free-agent-for-Bengals-to-sign-51344368

He is the classic big bodied, pass rushing DE that the Bengals prefer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We need some immediate help. Sadly, as stated in the article, we will probably try to fix this through the draft. Sounds like a good fit for our team and would love to launch forward again this year in contention than slide backwards and have 2 sucky season in a row. We have good players but as many have said our window is closing fast.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 11:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: We need some immediate help. Sadly, as stated in the article, we will probably try to fix this through the draft. Sounds like a good fit for our team and would love to launch forward again this year in contention than slide backwards and have 2 sucky season in a row. We have good players but as many have said our window is closing fast.

Yeah, I mainly posted this because it brought a smile to me, as I thought to myself "the Bengals would never do that".  However, I'm not really sure how much more effective JPP would be than Johnson.  JPP has had two "big years" with double digit sacks, while Johnson has only had one, other than that their tackle totals are actually quite similar.

Really, the key to getting more stats out of that RDE position seems to be getting better penetration and disruption from the Under DT.  Peko gives his all, but at this point in time, it isn't nearly enough.  Time for Billings to step up and assume the role.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 12:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I mainly posted this because it brought a smile to me, as I thought to myself "the Bengals would never do that".  However, I'm not really sure how much more effective JPP would be than Johnson.  JPP has had two "big years" with double digit sacks, while Johnson has only had one, other than that their tackle totals are actually quite similar.

Really, the key to getting more stats out of that RDE position seems to be getting better penetration and disruption from the Under DT.  Peko gives his all, but at this point in time, it isn't nearly enough.  Time for Billings to step up and assume the role.

That's interesting comparing Johnson and JPP's stats.

The Bengals will likely go after former 1st Rounders who haven't lived up to potential. Look for guys like Jarvis Jones, Fairley, Amakumara, and Riley Reiff. (Reiff isn't that good.)

Fairley and Amakumara would be upgrades here...but for whatever reason teams keep giving them 1 year deals.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's interesting comparing Johnson and JPP's stats.

The Bengals will likely go after former 1st Rounders who haven't lived up to potential. Look for guys like Jarvis Jones, Fairley, Amakumara, and Riley Reiff. (Reiff isn't that good.)

Fairley and Amakumara would be upgrades here...but for whatever reason teams keep giving them 1 year deals.

I decided to compare their career stats because I wanted to see if JPP was really that much better than MJ.  Turns out, the two big years for JPP, he really lit it up.  The other years he's been average or missed time with injuries.  We know that the Bengals almost never move a player that is under contract, and MJ has two more years.  Cutting him would leave a dead cap of around 3.5M.  I really don't see him as much of a trade candidate, as he has played a ton of downs, and has shown serious signs of slowing down. 

Unfortunately, I don't see the Bengals signing JPP, or any other name brand DE in free agency.  I think that our best case is to hope they draft MJ's heir apparent, and pray that he can unseat MJ as the primary starter.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jpp wants a 90 million dollar contract were not signing him anyway
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 04:33 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Jpp wants a 90 million  dollar contract were not signing him anyway

Personally, I don't see it happening with the Bengals, or any team.  Well, maybe Cleveland. Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bengals sign in FA... backup K Mike Brown with a 1yr/$35m contract.

Then once you factor in the draft pool and injury pool, they are out of cap space.

/FA

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I would love to get JPP but this is never happening. Devin Taylor is the guy i want and i think he went under
the radar enough that we could get him for much less than JPP and he has all his fingers.

Would love to bring in Fairley as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would love to get JPP but this is never happening. Devin Taylor is the guy i want and i think he went under
the radar enough that we could get him for much less than JPP and he has all his fingers.

Would love to bring in Fairley as well.

Pass on Devin Taylor, have you looked at his career stats?  I'd roll with Will Clarke over Taylor.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pass on Devin Taylor, have you looked at his career stats?  I'd roll with Will Clarke over Taylor.

He is young and just got 7 sacks last year, i like Clarke but Taylor is a definate upgrade IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is young and just got 7 sacks last year, i like Clarke but Taylor is a definate upgrade IMHO.

http://www.nfl.com/player/devintaylor/2539304/profile

He did have 7 sacks in 2015, but slid back to 4.5 and only 28 combined tackles and assists this year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 04:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I don't see it happening with the Bengals, or any team.  Well, maybe Cleveland. Ninja
Well giants did just clear up 10 million plus. I assume to resign him.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 10:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to the talking heads at ESPN and PFF..

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Jason-Pierre-Paul-named-best-free-agent-for-Bengals-to-sign-51344368

He is the classic big bodied, pass rushing DE that the Bengals prefer.

I saw this article, too, and it made me at least think about it.  JPP isn't going to get as big a FA contract as many would imply, with his injury and the point at which he has reached in his career.  He would be an immediate impact, and the Bengals wouldn't have to wait for a rookie to develop or fear his hitting the rookie wall come playoff time.  

Taking all that in to account, I still want the draft pick.  The Bengals are not in a "re-building mode", but they do have to start to consider who will be the next wave of Dunlaps, Genos, Burficts, etc.  The pick they should be able to get at #9 will be a difference maker at RDE that fits our scheme.  

For DE, the guy that I think could be signed for reasonable money and could be a very nice fit on our right side is Jabaal Sheard.  He showed what he could do with talent around him in NE, and he can also rotate inside on 3rd downs.

Personally, if the Bengals are going to sign any FA outside their own team, this is where I hope they go...here and CB with a guy like Amukamura (sp?)...and let Adam Jones walk.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/player/devintaylor/2539304/profile

He did have 7 sacks in 2015, but slid back to 4.5 and only 28 combined tackles and assists this year.

Ah, must of got my years mixed up, thanks Sunset. Still, an upgrade over Clarke's what 2.5 sacks last year?

Taylor is 6'7" and young and lean, he just looks like a Bengal DE even though i wish we would do away with this
way of just getting a DE for his size instead of his skills. I saw some talent from Taylor last year though which is
why i would like the pickup, he seems like he can bend unlike MJ and Hunt at his height.

(02-19-2017, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I saw this article, too, and it made me at least think about it.  JPP isn't going to get as big a FA contract as many would imply, with his injury and the point at which he has reached in his career.  He would be an immediate impact, and the Bengals wouldn't have to wait for a rookie to develop or fear his hitting the rookie wall come playoff time.  

Taking all that in to account, I still want the draft pick.  The Bengals are not in a "re-building mode", but they do have to start to consider who will be the next wave of Dunlaps, Genos, Burficts, etc.  The pick they should be able to get at #9 will be a difference maker at RDE that fits our scheme.  

For DE, the guy that I think could be signed for reasonable money and could be a very nice fit on our right side is Jabaal Sheard.  He showed what he could do with talent around him in NE, and he can also rotate inside on 3rd downs.

Personally, if the Bengals are going to sign any FA outside their own team, this is where I hope they go...here and CB with a guy like Amukamura (sp?)...and let Adam Jones walk.  

Would be all for Jabaal Sheard, always thought he was a good player, even in Cleveland.

We need an O-lineman in FA, especially if Zeitler goes which is sounding likely.

Ronald Leary is looking like the best fit to me cause he can run block which we desperately need here.
Reply/Quote
Best fit?  Who is......

[Image: cheap-cheap-chicken.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
At CB, we need someone who can play Zone coverage.

Kirkpatrick is more suited for man-to-man.

If we're going to play weak zone...we also need to improve the pass rush.

I really think that Rueben Foster would make our defense much better. I also think Dalvin Cook would be a nice fit. Some of the DE prospects could be good fits too...but I worry how good they are after not playing against Pro Caliber Tackles.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 04:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I decided to compare their career stats because I wanted to see if JPP was really that much better than MJ.  Turns out, the two big years for JPP, he really lit it up.  The other years he's been average or missed time with injuries.  We know that the Bengals almost never move a player that is under contract, and MJ has two more years.  Cutting him would leave a dead cap of around 3.5M.  I really don't see him as much of a trade candidate, as he has played a ton of downs, and has shown serious signs of slowing down. 

Unfortunately, I don't see the Bengals signing JPP, or any other name brand DE in free agency.  I think that our best case is to hope they draft MJ's heir apparent, and pray that he can unseat MJ as the primary starter.

Probably will, in about two or three years.  He'll be IR'ed out of TC, ending his rookie year, of course.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 06:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/player/devintaylor/2539304/profile

Taylor went from being a rotational player who got 225 snaps in 2015 to a full time starter who got 551 in 2016. It looks like he had some conditioning issues.  Regardless, sporttrac has him getting only @ 1 mill per year and as a rotational player he would be a huge upgrade over Hunt at a very low price.  Could be a very good move for the team.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/01/detroit_lions_2015_snap_counts.html

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 05:41 PM)Burma Wrote: Taylor went from being a rotational player who got 225 snaps in 2015 to a full time starter who got 551 in 2016. It looks like he had some conditioning issues.  Regardless, sporttrac has him getting only @ 1 mill per year and as a rotational player he would be a huge upgrade over Hunt at a very low price.  Could be a very good move for the team.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/01/detroit_lions_2015_snap_counts.html

Nice Burma, i completely agree.

Mangold looks like a perfect fit as well.

Whit, Taylor and Mangold would be a decent FA for us IMHO.
Reply/Quote