Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best long range shooter or best shooter
You know who i'm talking about....this argument seems to come up every time there's a Warriors game on when i'm out with some friends.

Did Curry transcend the game or did the rule changes do it?

I've heard about every possible argument....I think he is by far the most prolific 3 point shooter we've seen...so far...but i personally think Steve Nash was a better pure shooter. I've seen others argue Kobe, MJ, and Dirk.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:31 PM)basballguy Wrote: You know who i'm talking about....this argument seems to come up every time there's a Warriors game on when i'm out with some friends.  

Did Curry transcend the game or did the rule changes do it?  

I've heard about every possible argument....I think he is by far the most prolific 3 point shooter we've seen...so far...but i personally think Steve Nash was a better pure shooter.  I've seen others argue Kobe, MJ, and Dirk.

This is an interesting topic. I think there was a perfect blend of a player transcending the game as it coincided with changes such as the NBA becoming less physical in nature. 

Ultimately, I think Steph is the best shooter of all time. He is a volume scorer, but also has a 3P% of .43 which is currently 8th best of all time (It's kind of funny his brother is 3rd all time). It's not like Steph just scores a ton because he's chucking. He makes his shots. He also impressively makes the long range ones like you noted in the subject thread.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
coming back to this thread just to support myself.

The best shooter in the history of the game doesn't have a 42.1% FG% half way through the season.

It's clearly a career low but I think it's more reflective of teams guarding him more to where those 30 feet shots are no longer wide open for him.
Reply/Quote
It's the game changing more than anything. Rule changes have favored the offense (just like in the NFL), and analytics have come in. The 3 point shot is worth more; why even take a mid-range shot? I don 't really like the direction the game has taken. Curry is an amazing shooter, but it's hard to tell what guys like Reggie Miller or even Ray Allen would've done in today's game. Reggie never attempted more than 6 three's in a game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
When basketball was in its heyday (Jordan years)

#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Chef, definitely for active players. Possibly all-time as well.

Kerr and Hubert Davis are 1 and 2 in 3% and a player mentioned, Reggie Miller, is the highest true shooting % player, who didn't dunk all the time.

So yeah, I'd say either Chef or Miller.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 07:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Chef, definitely for active players. Possibly all-time as well.

Kerr and Hubert Davis are 1 and 2 in 3% and a player mentioned, Reggie Miller, is the highest true shooting % player, who didn't dunk all the time.

So yeah, I'd say either Chef or Miller.

I'd like to revise my post... I'm sure Reggie attempted more than 6 three's countless times. He never averaged more than that per game. That dude would've scored around 30 in today's league.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 12:50 PM)Interceptor Wrote: When basketball was in its heyday (Jordan years)

I'll never forget watching that happen live. That sort of explosive shooting almost seems passe nowadays, but that was a crazy finish.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 08:03 PM)jason Wrote: I'll never forget watching that happen live. That sort of explosive shooting almost seems passe nowadays, but that was a crazy finish.

back when if you didn't watch the game then you didn't know enough to talk about it at school the next day because there was no internet.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 12:50 PM)Interceptor Wrote: When basketball was in its heyday (Jordan years)

Watched this live as well, Reggie Miller really liked to beat the Knicks and I loved it lol

Starks must of felt terrible after that ha ha

To the OP Steph is pretty damn good. I don't know of any better. Always loved Larry Bird back in the day though.

As others said the game has changed which has helped a player like Curry.

An underrated pure shooter that I modeled my shooting stroke after was Steve Smith who played on the Heat and
the Trailblazers. Always had a beautiful looking stroke. 
Reply/Quote
Me, when I was in high school.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 04:25 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Me, when I was in high school.

Was there a 3 point line back in your day?
Reply/Quote
Curry is the best shooter hands down. Not only is he awesome on catch and shoot he is equally effective at shooting off the dribble. Not many shooters can say that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
*Pete Maravich has entered the chat.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:25 AM)J24 Wrote: Curry is the best shooter hands down. Not only is he awesome on catch and shoot he is equally  effective at shooting off the dribble. Not many shooters can say that.

Good points, Curry can create his own shots. He doesn't have to stand in the corner waiting for the pass.
Reply/Quote
Curry and Reggie Miller
Reply/Quote

#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I feel like.....there are a thousand Juju's out there that can't play in the NFL....and they play in the NBA instead.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/karl-anthony-towns-minnesota-timberwolves-best-big-man-shooter-ever-dirk-nowitzki

"I'm the best ever" mentalities are toxic.
Reply/Quote
The best shooter of all time rocking career lows in FG% and 3PT%?

Steph's stats this season? 43.7% FG% and 38.0% from 3PT. Steph is currently 34.

Nash's worst full season? 49.2% FG and 39.5% from 3PT....at age 36.

Nash also has about 100 more games played than Curry at the same age. So is it wear and tear? Who knows?

Curry put up decent numbers this year but if he wants to be known as the best shooter of all time he's gonna need to get his shit together next season.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:25 AM)J24 Wrote: Curry is the best shooter hands down. Not only is he awesome on catch and shoot he is equally  effective at shooting off the dribble. Not many shooters can say that.

This.

Plus there is the fact that Steph routinely takes his shots from 3 to 5 feet behind the three point line.  Bird and Miller were great three point shooters.  They could have made a lot more if they had taken a lot more.  But back then no one took shots as deep as Steph does on a regular basis.  His range is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote