Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 10.0: The Bengal's Point of View
OK, here is my go based on what I know about the Bengal's opinions about the upcoming draft: It is clear that they covet sliding and picking up an extra pick, but I trield to play this as though no one wanted the pick badly enough to move up. They don't seem to have an interest in a QB, which really surprised me. Even if Haskins slides to them, it appears they are very happy with where they are at with Dalton, although they could take a later round QB if someone like Will Grier slides to Rd 3. I would be VERY surprised if they stick to their guns on this, as I would fear Haskins would be a ticket-selling pick but they see other positions as much more important. And although the "next contract" of Dalton has to enter in to the equation, they feel that the rookie contract savings for FA is a very small window, and would rather have a steady veteran that they believe in.

They also didn't see the value of a safety like Juan Thornhill, who I love due to his ability to turn the ball over, as they fear he would not even be active initially on game day when they usually go with an extra CB over a safety. The tackles they covet are guys that could possibly play LT or RT. They would rather not have a RT-only label on an early selection. They appreciate the flexibility.

They know that LB, OT, and TE are huge need positions and the TE class is "very thin". They really like the kid from San Jose St, Josh Oliver, but I took Wilson over him in Rd 3 and he was gone in Rd 4. I felt LB depth was a bigger need and Wilson is a starting talent. They aren't as big on Andy Isabella as a potential slot WR should Boyd have to move outside due to an injury to Ross or AJ. They like him but fear his height and arms. I have not seen a guy with his short-space quickness in a while and he is 190 lbs and has been very durable. Like Russell Wilson, it is hard to get a good lick on the guy. I think they will go with more of a traditional big-bodied WR, even though we already have Core and Malone.

They also really like the DE/OLB Ximines from Old Dominion. He is a small school stud that could be a later round find as well. There is a kid I told them about named Johnathon Duhart, a WR, that looks like a poor man's Michael Thomas. He could find himself an UDFA.

Round 1 Pick 11: Devin White, ILB/OLB, LSU (A)

The team needs him, and the fans want him. Win/win.

Round 2 Pick 10: Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State (B-)

Very interesting prospect. Very good agility for a big man. Could push at LT or RT.

Round 3 Pick 8: Mack Wilson, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A)

Doubling down on LB not only makes sense, it is a pattern the Bengals have used a number of times in the past. That competition will help develop both players as well. Wilson would be groomed as the ILB with some pass rush skills.

Round 4 Pick 8: Max Scharping, OT, N. Illinois (A)

Doubling down again. Excellent prospect that could play either tackle spot. Showed he can handle some the draft's best edge rushers at Senior Bowl and Senior Bowl practices...which should eliminate some doubt about competition level.

Round 5 Pick 11: Drew Sample, TE, Washington (A)

Bengals love him, too. He is a versatile, tough, lunch-pail guy that can do everything you need from a TE.

Round 6 Pick 10: Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M (A+)

Bengals see the value of a NT that can anchor even if he offers limited pass rush. He helps the rush defense a great deal.

Round 6 Pick 25: John Cominsky, DE, University of Charleston (A+)

Bengals love his athleticism and his football IQ. Interviewed very well. I can see in stripes but I bet he goes earlier than this.

Round 6 Pick 37 (COMP): Mark Fields, CB, Clemson (A)

I have mocked him so many times he has to be a Bengal, right? They see the value in creating a talented depth chart behind the starters, although they do like last year's young CBs.

Round 6 Pick 38 (COMP): Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio St. (A+)

Ditto Fields. Just think they will get one of the two, but want to keep pitt from getting either. Hilarious

Round 6 Pick 40 (COMP): Jazz Ferguson, WR, Northwestern State (A+)

Garage sale AJ Green. Could be a huge find if he takes to NFL coaching and training.

Round 7 Pick 9: Tony Pollard, WR/RB, Memphis (A+)

Swiss army knife that is a great receiver as well.

That is what I know for now!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not very high on Tytus. He's played a total of 28 games on the o-line. Three years of training. That's awfully risky for a second round pick. I'd prefer risner or little over howard. I also doubt they double down on those positions each round. I think they take a DT or DE in there somewhere. Love the Drew Sample pick.... That's probably my favorite value pick. Also like the Kendall Sheffield pick. He was really raw at OSU. With proper time commitment and coaching, he can be a solid nickel back.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Wilson is going between 22-42. Not a fan of Sample at all, would rather take someone like Dawson Knox the round before.
Reply/Quote
Glad to see no qb early this year. I hope they stick to it.

Also glad to see they are looking for early contributors out of this draft.

How do see bush as a fallback if white is gone?

And if they like Oliver why not trade a 4 and a 6 to move up a little to get him?

Ps. If they are looking to trade back some I assume they might still be looking bush or Cody Ford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 09:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: Wilson is going between 22-42. Not a fan of Sample at all, would rather take someone like Dawson Knox the round before.

I think Sample would really help us in the double TE sets, especially if we have any injuries at the TE position. Not great at catching by any stretch, but I think he could help out this year in blocking sets as the Y. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 09:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: Wilson is going between 22-42. Not a fan of Sample at all, would rather take someone like Dawson Knox the round before.

I dont see many Tight Ends going very early. 

Hockenson and Fant will go first round Irv Smith mid to late second Jace Sternberger 3rd...after that its Warring and Oliver and one will likely be there at the Bengals pick in the 4th.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
As much as I love Devin White, I think there is almost no chance he will be there at 11.

Also give me LB Blake Cashman in the second and OT Max Scharping in the third.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They also didn't see the value of a safety like Juan Thornhill, who I love due to his ability to turn the ball over, as they fear he would not even be active initially on game day when they usually go with an extra CB over a safety.  The tackles they covet are guys that could possibly play LT or RT.  They would rather not have a RT-only label on an early selection.  They appreciate the flexibility.  

Thanks for posting. I think this makes sense given Glenn's injury history. Do you get the sense that they'd be open to a guy that could play either G/RT in the first, like Cody Ford? He's becoming a guy I hope they target if they trade back. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 11:10 AM)MentalRage Wrote: As much as I love Devin White, I think there is almost no chance he will be there at 11.

Also give me LB Blake Cashman in the second and OT Max Scharping in the third.

I agree about White, I don't see him sliding to us. That said, hopefully a lot of teams get QB-antsy and move ahead of us.

I really do like the idea of going 2LBs and 2OTs in the first four picks, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 09:57 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Glad to see no qb early this year.  I hope they stick to it.

Also glad to see they are looking for early contributors out of this draft.

How do see bush as a fallback if white is gone?

And if they like Oliver why not trade a 4 and a 6 to move up a little to get him?

Ps.  If they are looking to trade back some I assume they might still be looking bush or Cody Ford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is possible on the Bush or Cody Ford talk, but I think they like Howard.  He's raw but rare.  They could move back up for a player like Oliver.  They do like the extra picks they have in the sixth because they feel like there is a lot of talent at certain positions.  Not sure I mentioned but they also liked David Long Jr.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 10:09 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think Sample would really help us in the double TE sets, especially if we have any injuries at the TE position. Not great at catching by any stretch, but I think he could help out this year in blocking sets as the Y. 

He is WAY underrated as a receiver.  It just wasn't what he was asked to do...a team-first guy.  And if he is pushed down in the draft because of it, so be it.   We will love having him.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 11:58 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Thanks for posting. I think this makes sense given Glenn's injury history. Do you get the sense that they'd be open to a guy that could play either G/RT in the first, like Cody Ford? He's becoming a guy I hope they target if they trade back. 

I am pretty sure they want a sure tackle and as I was told, the difference makers (potential) at that position group is fairly thin. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 01:12 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I agree about White, I don't see him sliding to us. That said, hopefully a lot of teams get QB-antsy and move ahead of us.

I really do like the idea of going 2LBs and 2OTs in the first four picks, though.

White would be sexy enough and I think that would be a nice haul.  I am kind of disappointed that they aren't looking for a SS to push Williams....I love Hooker, Savage, and Thornhill.
Reply/Quote