Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best (non-chain) steakhouse in downtown Cincy area?
I'll be visiting Cincy near my birthday (end of Jan) and I would like some recommendations on the best non-chain steakhouses in the downtown area. I want to support a local place and not a chain. I tend to go all out for my bday so I'm looking for high end recommendations and that have a great wine list. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
http://www.jeffruby.com/precinct
It's right outside downtown, like 5 min or so but that is my favorite. Happy early birthday.
I normally go to one of his other restaurants, Carlos and Johnny's just because it's closer to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 04:55 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I'll be visiting Cincy near my birthday (end of Jan) and I would like some recommendations on the best non-chain steakhouses in the downtown area. I want to support a local place and not a chain. I tend to go all out for my bday so I'm looking for high end recommendations and that have a great wine list. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I don't know about wine but Hofbrauhuas in Newport (right across the river)    has a great steak and great beer....
**Not a steak house but its steak is good**

I guess its a chain but they are not very common, 24 in the world.  but if you have never been to one I would suggest trying one at some point.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 05:12 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: http://www.jeffruby.com/precinct
It's right outside downtown, like 5 min or so but that is my favorite.  Happy early birthday.
I normally go to one of his other restaurants, Carlos and Johnny's just because it's closer to me.

Saw this in my Yelp search too but thought it was a chain. If he just has these 2 other restaurants than this is the front runner.  Thanks!
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'd go with precinct as well. There's a place called Tony's where I live (Lexington) that's site good, too. I think there's one in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
There is a Tony's, and I like it better than any of Ruby's places. It's nowhere near downtown, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Going anywhere else other than Ruby's would be doing yourself a disservice.

It is a pricey (50-70 a plate) but it is really good.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Going anywhere else other than Ruby's would be doing yourself a disservice.

It is a pricey (50-70 a plate) but it is really good.

Pricey is ok since I'm going all out for my bday.
Reply/Quote
Is there any difference between Precinct and Jeff Ruby Steakhouse? Menus and wine lists look really similar, only thing I noticed was at Precinct the steaks are named after Cincy athletes. Is the atmosphere different?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 02:02 PM)bjf123 Wrote: There is a Tony's,  and I like it better than any of Ruby's places. It's nowhere near downtown, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard others say that it compares favorably to Ruby's.  I can't say.  I haven't been to the Precinct in 15 years.  I was at Karlo and Johnny's about 14 years ago, too and it was really impressive.  

Tony's was by far the best steakhouse I've been to in recent memory.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 10:50 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Is there any difference between Precinct and Jeff Ruby Steakhouse? Menus and wine lists look really similar, only thing I noticed was at Precinct the steaks are named after Cincy athletes. Is the atmosphere different?

Two different locations but pretty much identical menus. Precinct is in Mt. Lookout area (10 miles east of downtown) and Jeff Ruby's is in the middle of downtown. 

Each location has pretty similar decor but I find the Precinct to be a little more upscale and laid back than Ruby's downtown. Ruby's downtown is kind of like a place where you want to be seen and is more vibrant. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 03:00 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Two different locations but pretty much identical menus. Precinct is in Mt. Lookout area (10 miles east of downtown) and Jeff Ruby's is in the middle of downtown. 

Each location has pretty similar decor but I find the Precinct to be a little more upscale and laid back than Ruby's downtown. Ruby's downtown is kind of like a place where you want to be seen and is more vibrant. 

Got it, thanks!
Reply/Quote
Buckhorn Tavern around Dayton is pretty good.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 04:55 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I'll be visiting Cincy near my birthday (end of Jan) and I would like some recommendations on the best non-chain steakhouses in the downtown area. I want to support a local place and not a chain. I tend to go all out for my bday so I'm looking for high end recommendations and that have a great wine list. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jeff Ruby's might be the best non chain in Cincy, but that ain't sayin' much. If you want to do it right drive up to Dayton (or just go there and bypass Cincy) and go to the Pine Club.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 12:15 AM)xxlt Wrote: Jeff Ruby's might be the best non chain in Cincy, but that ain't sayin' much. If you want to do it right drive up to Dayton (or just go there and bypass Cincy) and go to the Pine Club.

Jeff Ruby's is a nationally renowned steakhouse. Hes one of the best restaurateurs in the country. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 07:25 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jeff Ruby's is a nationally renowned steakhouse. Hes one of the best restaurateurs in the country. 

And the Pine Club has been in the top ten steakhouses in America, some times the top five, for decades. Nothing personal, but it isn't even close between the two.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 08:32 AM)xxlt Wrote: And the Pine Club has been in the top ten steakhouses in America, some times the top five, for decades. Nothing personal, but it isn't even close between the two.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/best-steakhouses-in-the-us#cattlemens

I dont see Pine Club listed on this list, but see Ruby's. 

In all honesty, when you get to a certain point, its kind of hard to differentiate one steak from another. Im sure Rubys is just as good as good as Pine Club and vice versa. You are splitting hairs when you get to a certain point of quality and service. To say "Rubys isnt even close" though, is just silly. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 11:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: http://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/best-steakhouses-in-the-us#cattlemens

I dont see Pine Club listed on this list, but see Ruby's. 

In all honesty, when you get to a certain point, its kind of hard to differentiate one steak from another. Im sure Rubys is just as good as good as Pine Club and vice versa. You are splitting hairs when you get to a certain point of quality and service. To say "Rubys isnt even close" though, is just silly. 

I agree you are right, if they are getting quality aged meat at some point it is splitting hairs. Playboy used to do a list and the Pine Club was on their national list as I recall, and I have seen it on others as well. I have no ax to grind against Jeff, and I am glad some critics out there give him props. From what I understand, he runs a heck of a business.

I have had people who do a lot more fine dining than I do tell me Carlo and Johnny's is one of the best restaurants in Cincy, and it is interesting that some Ruby fans have not seemed to have heard of it or don't know it is his.

With that said, several those same people have told me there are multiple places in Cincy with better food than any of Ruby's places and at a better price point too. Many fine diners don't care about price, but some (particularly businesses) are sensitive about that. Even though they are writing off expenses, if they budget $10,000 for entertaining clients and they can divide it over x number of $350 tabs or y number of $500 tabs for the same number of clients per meal many will opt for the smaller tabs and more client outings. Of course others want to go to Ruby's to impress clients because it is the "best" (i.e. most expensive).

The other thing for me about Ruby's is that I really love steak, and Ruby seems to owe a lot of his reputation to the rub they put on their steaks. Now, I love the Montgomery Inn and could not imagine eating their ribs without that delicious sauce. But, when I order a steak I want it unadulterated. No dry rub or steak sauce (no catsup or mayo either - yeah, gross, but I have seen people do both) for me. Just a personal thing but when people say to me some restaurant puts a great marinade or rub on a steak that is not a good endorsement for me.

Bon apetit'!
Reply/Quote
Arby's

They have the meats.
Reply/Quote