Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best or Favorite Drummer of All-Time
(07-16-2015, 05:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, to me it isn't. Being a drummer I look at that and just think "what's the point to some of that?"

being able to make noise in any direction?
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:03 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R044sleOW6I

I have a hard time voting best anything I'll just post some of my favs.

(07-16-2015, 02:37 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The group Ram Jam had a good drummer. Can't remember his name right now.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 05:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, to me it isn't. Being a drummer I look at that and just think "what's the point to some of that?"

I have nothing else to go on.   Big Grin   I hear he's the greatest drummer or certainly top 5 , but I have no idea how to judge that.  I'll say I don't have any idea how drummers play a song the same way time after time.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_n8eofh4vxq1qa70eyo1_r1_500.gif]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Yeah. Sometimes people overdo it just for looks. Peart and Portnoy actually use most, if not all of them but i don't know that the average person can really hear a difference.

When my son played he had a very minimal setup. Snare, middle tom where the high tom usually goes, a floor tom and a single bass drum with a double pedal. For cymbals he had a high hat, two crash, one ride and a china. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 11:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: tumblr_n8eofh4vxq1qa70eyo1_r1_500.gif]

Cat beating a purple drum.

Sounds like a typical Bengals v Ravens game.  ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Big fan of Marco Minnemann. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljL8ymUQ-c
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 09:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have nothing else to go on.   Big Grin   I hear he's the greatest drummer or certainly top 5 , but I have no idea how to judge that.  I'll say I don't have any idea how drummers play a song the same way time after time.  

In truth? Most of what you hear in a typical song from a drummer is very similar to everything else minus the solos. Basic rhythm, maybe fancied up a bit, with a fill here and there to vary it up. There are certain mechanics that are so standard for different genres that it is easy to remember and, quite frankly, once you sit on the throne and get your groove going you just kind of feel it.

All of that being said, no song that gets played, anywhere, in any genre, is done the same each time. Even with the masterpieces that get played by the great orchestras around the world, they get fiddled with, each conductor putting their own touches to them.

(07-19-2015, 01:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. Sometimes people overdo it just for looks. Peart and Portnoy actually use most, if not all of them but i don't know that the average person can really hear a difference.

When my son played he had a very minimal setup. Snare, middle tom where the high tom usually goes, a floor tom and a single bass drum with a double pedal. For cymbals he had a high hat, two crash, one ride and a china. 

Yeah, most people can't hear the difference. But most people couldn't tell you the difference between a 16" and an 18" crash, or tell you what a splash cymbal is, or identify a China ride. I play Zildjian cymbals almost exclusively, and I can tell you when someone is using an A versus a K custom in a song. It's amazing what the ear can pick up on. I guess I'm one that likes tight play, and you can't get that tight play when you have 360 degrees to move for the next stroke. These guys are good, don't get me wrong, but a setup like that is not really one kit, but three or four put together, each kit designed for specific needs. It seems less impressive and more overkill when I view it like that.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 09:04 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Neil Peart - RUSH    Next question.

Yeah, he is my favorite.

I really love the drummer from Tool as well.
Reply/Quote
Rick Allen from Def Leppard, hands (or hand) down... Big Grin
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote