Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best or Favorite Drummer of All-Time
(07-11-2015, 05:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My two major drumming influences were Buddy Rich and Ringo Starr. I'm just into that kind of thing. Peart's work is amazing, though, no doubt about that. I would like Travis Barker more if I didn't blame him (I know it is not his fault, but the timing is what it is) for the direction Blink 182 took post Dude Ranch.

I probably have no single drummer I consider the best. Being a drummer I appreciate multiples for what they play. But I'm also horrible at remembering names so I couldn't tell you even the bands which I love the drum work in. I just know it when I hear it.
I agree that their music (for the most part) has progressively gotten worse and they've kind of gotten away from being a punk band, but then I don't think they ever were the traditional punk style anyways.

They kind of had a style of their own that just said "we don't give a flying ****, we just produce good music," which is what made them so good.  Like I said, I think they've kind of drifted away from that and become more mainstream.  
(07-11-2015, 07:43 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I am not trying to be a dick, but Blink-182 is not punk. I actually enjoy them, but they are not punk. Neither is Green Day, The Offspring, Sum 41, and all of those other mall rock bands from the 90s.  ThumbsUp

See above.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 07:43 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I am not trying to be a dick, but Blink-182 is not punk. I actually enjoy them, but they are not punk. Neither is Green Day, The Offspring, Sum 41, and all of those other mall rock bands from the 90s.  ThumbsUp

There are multiple sub-genres of punk, and one of them is pop-punk. Green Day and Blink 182 fit into that. Green day in the Dookie time frame and Blink from Cheshire and Dude ranch are definitely more in the "traditional" punk vein, but they were always pop-punk. Hell, The Ramones were pop-punk, really. I used to be one of those punk rock snobs that would say they weren't punk. If it was on the radio or on MTV, then it could not be punk in my eyes. Those of us saying that were just the hipsters of our day. Now I enjoy every music genre for what it is.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to my Viking metal. Smirk
Reply/Quote
Joey Jordison is one hell of a drummer

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
?Love of The Roots is pretty damn good, he has to be ranked up there with the best of them

Numbers 1 and 2 have to be Pert and Bohnam though, no doubt about it.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Let's just say that there is a Monster drummer that is part of our Bengal family and he flat kills it!
Another drummer that I have the extreme pleasure of knowing and watching whenever my work doesn't coincide with his is John "Jabo" Starks. The Godfather of Soul owes much of his success to Jabo and some other dude named Clyde Stubblefield.
Peart,Bonham,Brian Wilson, and Ringo go without saying. None of those bands are what the are without their drummers.
Dave Grohl is no slouch either.
Reply/Quote
Charlie Watts & John Bonham would get my votes.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Genesis had one of those too.

Yeah, they sure did. And he said he quit drumming because it was too hard to sing and drum at the same time!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Didn't Def Lepard's drummer only have one arm?

Reply/Quote
Favorite drummer's album for the sake of drumming:
[Image: 41JOB971OeL._SX355_.jpg]

Guilty pleasure that will ruin my street cred:
[Image: Peter_criss_solo_album_cover.jpg]

I also repped the guy who mentioned Lenny White and Return to Forever.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 06:20 PM)Bryan Wrote: Didn't Def Lepard's drummer only have one arm?

In the later years, yes.  
Lost it in an auto accident.
Reply/Quote

Green Day, Blink 182, and The Offspring are most definitely Punk music.  Just because they don't sound just like The Ramones or The Clash doesn't mean they weren't punk bands.  They were just modernized.  I agree that those bands have become increasingly bubblegum with their music, but it's still Punk Rock at the core.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Travis Barker and Neil Peart duke it out for top billing. I don't even know who else would be in the running.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R044sleOW6I

I have a hard time voting best anything I'll just post some of my favs.
Reply/Quote
Chad Smith with arguably my favorite band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rofk1WsXOE
Reply/Quote
I know there's been a lot of talk about Peart.  One of my favs again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGKlicb8n0
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 04:53 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: My all-time favorite is Michael Giles, King Crimson's original drummer. His dynamics were impeccable, and paved the way for generations to follow when it came to flirting with time signatures. He still puts on clinics in Europe, and is one of the kindest gentlemen you'll ever meet.

Billy Cobham runs a close second for me, and is likely more talented. My preference for Giles lies in style.

Lenny White is just one monstrous drummer, and my first exposure to him was when he played for Chick Corea's Return To Forever. Breathtaking.
Bill Bruford came to be a favorite during his days with Yes, and then when he joined King Crimson.

Then there is Terry Bozzio, one of the most complete kit drummers you will ever see. His total 4 limb independence is something to marvel. There is so much about him to discuss, I refer to this for the sake of brevity here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Bozzio

I had not heard of King Crimson so I checked it out.  Solid pick man.  Dudes a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eRpwRJgzk
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 06:20 PM)Bryan Wrote: Didn't Def Lepard's drummer only have one arm?

Him and Lars from Metallica were my favorites growing up.
Reply/Quote
Hmmmm......Peart is definitely a good one.....Bonham, Moon......how about the duo of Bill Kreutzman and Mickey Hart? Or Nick Mason?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The kid from whiplash.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 11:57 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: Him and Lars from Metallica were my favorites growing up.

I like Lars but that whole Napster thing kinda made him out to be really douchy. 

Reply/Quote