Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best or Favorite Drummer of All-Time
I have no problem with people having their favorites, but it's concerning that some folks seem to think they know who the "best" is, even though they probably haven't heard of many, many drummers that are much more skilled (speaking purely from a technical standpoint).

I guess it may be because of the music I've grown up with, but I've never really been uber impressed with guys like Travis Barker. Bonham, Peart, and the other older guys are/were very, very good especially for their time. The issue there is, it's sort of hard to compare them to the newer guys, it's almost like sports where we have the new wave of more athletic guys with modern day training and whatnot. It's pretty much unfair to compare Neil Peart to a guy like Flo Mournier of Cryptopsy. If somebody says "Neil Peart is the best prog rock drummer of the 60's/70's/80's", then I'd probably not even bat an eye at that statement. When someone says "Neil Peart is the best drummer of all time", then that's just letting nostalgia get in the way of being realistic.

If you're unfamiliar with underground metal drummers, and you love to watch/hear a good musician play, here are a few to check out...

Flo Mournier
Samus Paulicelli
Matt Greiner (not really into metalcore a lot but this guy can play)
George Kollias
Mike Portnoy
Alex Rudinger

I don't think any of them are clearly the best of all time, but that's a good short list for people unfamiliar with these genres (4 out of the 6 play in tech death bands). I'm sure there's a random jazz fusion drummer that I've never heard of that's more technical than most metal drummers, so let me hear some names to check out. I'm far from closed minded musically, so I'd love to check out some playing from lesser known guys in genres I'm unfamiliar with. Hopefully others are the same in that regard.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 08:49 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I have no problem with people having their favorites, but it's concerning that some folks seem to think they know who the "best" is, even though they probably haven't heard of many, many drummers that are much more skilled (speaking purely from a technical standpoint).

I guess it may be because of the music I've grown up with, but I've never really been uber impressed with guys like Travis Barker. Bonham, Peart, and the other older guys are/were very, very good especially for their time. The issue there is, it's sort of hard to compare them to the newer guys, it's almost like sports where we have the new wave of more athletic guys with modern day training and whatnot. It's pretty much unfair to compare Neil Peart to a guy like Flo Mournier of Cryptopsy. If somebody says "Neil Peart is the best prog rock drummer of the 60's/70's/80's", then I'd probably not even bat an eye at that statement. When someone says "Neil Peart is the best drummer of all time", then that's just letting nostalgia get in the way of being realistic.

If you're unfamiliar with underground metal drummers, and you love to watch/hear a good musician play, here are a few to check out...

Flo Mournier
Samus Paulicelli
Matt Greiner (not really into metalcore a lot but this guy can play)
George Kollias
Mike Portnoy
Alex Rudinger

I don't think any of them are clearly the best of all time, but that's a good short list for people unfamiliar with these genres (4 out of the 6 play in tech death bands). I'm sure there's a random jazz fusion drummer that I've never heard of that's more technical than most metal drummers, so let me hear some names to check out. I'm far from closed minded musically, so I'd love to check out some playing from lesser known guys in genres I'm unfamiliar with. Hopefully others are the same in that regard.

I'm a big fan of folk/Viking metal these days and one reason is because of the drumming. There is no doubt in my mind that some of them have some insane levels of talent. This is why as a drummer I can't really pick one because out of all of the drummers out there in all the eras in all the genres, you can't compare some of that. I've said before, I'm a big Buddy Rich fan, but putting up his 5 piece (which he only used 4 of) against the monstrosity of the 54,000 piece set of Peart, or comparing his riffs, solos, and all of that to the fast paced insanity that is some metal drumming, it's all apples and oranges.

It really is a lot like athletics, and most people don't realize it. Heads and sticks are being designed better all of the time for optimal rebound and sound, drums are being designed to create compact setups to allow for faster movement between pieces, pedals are ever improving to allow for faster bass drum beats, especially when looking at double pedals removing the need for two bass drums for the fast stuff. Cymbals and drums being made in so many different sizes and shapes. The versatility available to a drummer today is amazing when you think how far it has come in 100 years, and of course today's drummers are growing up with this sort of thing, and learning it when you're young is a huge advantage.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:09 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Chad Smith with arguably my favorite band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rofk1WsXOE

One thing I love about Chad is that he used to do a lot of his work single pedal. He had some really good bass drum work for working only a single and that made me really respect him because bass drum work is always my shortfall.
Reply/Quote
Best: Bonham

Fav: Bill Ward
Reply/Quote
bengal_fan_in_toronto dateline='y1436806018' Wrote: Best: Bonham

Fav: Bill Ward
Classic Sabbath.....yes!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2015, 11:34 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: One thing I love about Chad is that he used to do a lot of his work single pedal. He had some really good bass drum work for working only a single and that made me really respect him because bass drum work is always my shortfall.

I've tried to play both guitar and drums, and took lessons when I was younger on both, but never really became proficient at either.  However I love and really appreciate music and understand how difficult it really is.  The thing I love about Chad is how he just stays locked in with two musicians like Flea and Fruciante.  It is tight.

Love this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4VgnlkG0fQ

Funky as hell
Reply/Quote
You can feel all the different influences on these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQXLJf8kMRs
Reply/Quote
I know Eddie gets most of the credit, but his brother Alex is no slouch on drums.  One of my fav bands of my youth.

Rock On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0
Reply/Quote
Who doesn't want to see Tommy Lee in a spinning drum kit?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nm1BJPe-pg
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 08:34 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: As far as best drummer...this thread begins and ends with John Bonham.

1000% agree.

John Bonham from Led Zeppelin

(if that wasnt a typo im sorry)

While he might not be the Best of all time hes one of my top favorite... I couldnt tell you who is best of all time cause i havent heard them all.
Reply/Quote
Dennis Chambers
Reply/Quote
Hands down. Mike Portnoy.
I didn't even read anyone elses comments yet lol

Reply/Quote
Honorable mention: Paul Bostaph

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As for straight jazz drummers I go with Jack DeJohnette

Upon further consideration I have to also include 

(07-13-2015, 11:37 PM)GodFather Wrote: Dennis Chambers

I never saw Chambers live, but DeJohnette was on the drums for the best live jazz show I ever saw. Parallel Realities Tour with Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, and Herbie Hancock.
Reply/Quote
Favorite? Chris Adler.

Best? Chris Adler.

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: 020813-peartkit-1.jpg]

For more details see

http://www.drummagazine.com/lessons/post/neil-peart-masterclass/P2/

I wouldn't have the first idea how to judge a drummer, but that's pretty damn impressive.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 01:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Upon further consideration I have to also include 

I never saw Chambers live, but DeJohnette was on the drums for the best live jazz show I ever saw.  Parallel Realities Tour with Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, and Herbie Hancock.

I saw DeJohnette live also at Birdland in NYC doing an all star 4 Generations of Miles show. Unbelievable. Ive seen Chambers live numerous times with John Scofield, Mike Stern to many others. He's one of those guys that you have to see live. What he does on recordings is only part of the picture. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: Pickles_1a7c37_1144130.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The group Ram Jam had a good drummer. Can't remember his name right now.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2015, 10:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I wouldn't have the first idea how to judge a drummer, but that's pretty damn impressive.  

See, to me it isn't. Being a drummer I look at that and just think "what's the point to some of that?"
Reply/Quote