Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best player ever at each number
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/best-nfl-player-by-number-graphic-mitchell-and-ness

Some arguments to be made for and against some of these.

Matt Ryan for #2?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 05:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/best-nfl-player-by-number-graphic-mitchell-and-ness

Some arguments to be made for and against some of these.

Matt Ryan for #2?

Seems pretty good.  I'd argue Stallworth at 82 but of course that's a bit homer-ish.

btw I have an autographed Doak Walker photo hanging in my office!  Won it a few years ago at a banquet.  The guy who supplied the prizes was an autograph hound.

[img][Image: 20150910_165440.jpg] image hosting no registration[/img]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
This is a Bengals board... and OCHO ISNT 85!?!?! hahaha gave me a good laugh.

cool post :)
Reply/Quote
No Watt #99 ?
Reply/Quote
I'm going to get some shit for this, but I will defend it:

Flacco over McNabb for #5.

Reply/Quote
I just can't bring myself to be upset that Munoz isn't represented at #78.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2015, 09:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm going to get some shit for this, but I will defend it:

Flacco over McNabb for #5.

I actually wouldn't argue that.  Flacco at least had success.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: I actually wouldn't argue that.  Flacco at least had success.

Just goes to show how few good players have worn #5.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2015, 11:54 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Just goes to show how few good players have worn #5.

Just looked it up and there were quite a few that were not bad at all:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/uniform.cgi?number=5&team=all

Here are the "top" 25 based on their rating system at pro-football-reference.com

[Image: no5.jpg]

Maybe Paul Hourning should be higher? Maybe the best to wear the number?
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 12:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just looked it up and there were quite a few that were not bad at all:

Here are the "top" 25 based on their rating system at pro-football-reference.com

Yeah, i'd say a HOF, Super Bowl winner would be ahead of a guy that's never won a SB and a guy that's half way through his career. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 12:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just looked it up and there were quite a few that were not bad at all:

(09-13-2015, 06:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, i'd say a HOF, Super Bowl winner would be ahead of a guy that's never won a SB and a guy that's half way through his career. 

This guy makes the case how Paul Hornung is overrated and is only popular because he played for Notre Dame and the Packers. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1213659-nfl-and-the-least-deserving-player-in-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame-is

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 08:44 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This guy makes the case how Paul Hornung is overrated and is only popular because he played for Notre Dame and the Packers. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1213659-nfl-and-the-least-deserving-player-in-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame-is

That article sounds like a lot of sour grapes!   Smirk

But to the proposition that he at least has finished his career I can see him over Flacco I guess.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 08:44 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This guy makes the case how Paul Hornung is overrated and is only popular because he played for Notre Dame and the Packers. 

This guy makes the case that Flacco has had a couple good and a couple great playoff games. Other than that, he sucked ass in about 6 of his first 7 playoff games and was carried by the team until he could get his act together. Beyond that, he owes his ring to ABolden and a safety for the Broncos completely misplaying an easy batdown/interception to close out a playoff game. Not to mention, earlier in the year, a 4th and 29 conversion that should not have been, followed by losing 4 of their last 5 before getting into the playoffs. 

He's used up all his luck early. Don't expect him to see a Conference Championship or SB for the rest of his career. 

1. Hornung
2. McNabb
3. Flacco

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
00= Jim Otto....my first favorite player. I think I was about 6

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
An argument could already be made for Ben over Elway. Dermontti Dawson over Upshaw is as big a no brainer as has ever existed.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 01:26 AM)Stormborn Wrote: I just can't bring myself to be upset that Munoz isn't represented at #78.

It's a clear miss by them.  Bruce Smith was an awfully good player, but he's top-50 all time, maybe top-20.  Anthony Munoz is top-3 all-time.  I can't think of anybody with even a halfway believable argument to be ahead of Munoz besides Brown, Butkus, Taylor, Unitas, or Rice.  Maybe people will throw out a few quarterback names, but I already named Unitas, and if you're not the best player at your position then it's hard to get in a conversation for top-3-ever (plus I think people overrate quarterbacks in those lists).  Same goes for Walter Payton and Don Hutson.  Bruce Smith was mostly a pass-rushing defensive end.  At that position, Reggie White definitely had a better career, and players such as Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, and Gino Marchetti were arguably as good.  Stretching the definition of his position to "defensive edge rusher" would put Lawrence Taylor ahead of him, too, and stretching it to "defensive lineman" would exclude Taylor but brings in Alan Page and Joe Greene.  I can count the number of offensive linemen in NFL history who were arguably as good as Anthony Munoz on my pet fish's fingers.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 09:54 PM)DanTheBengalsFan Wrote: It's a clear miss by them.  Bruce Smith was an awfully good player, but he's top-50 all time, maybe top-20.  Anthony Munoz is top-3 all-time.  I can't think of anybody with even a halfway believable argument to be ahead of Munoz besides Brown, Butkus, Taylor, Unitas, or Rice.  Maybe people will throw out a few quarterback names, but I already named Unitas, and if you're not the best player at your position then it's hard to get in a conversation for top-3-ever (plus I think people overrate quarterbacks in those lists).  Same goes for Walter Payton and Don Hutson.  Bruce Smith was mostly a pass-rushing defensive end.  At that position, Reggie White definitely had a better career, and players such as Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, and Gino Marchetti were arguably as good.  Stretching the definition of his position to "defensive edge rusher" would put Lawrence Taylor ahead of him, too, and stretching it to "defensive lineman" would exclude Taylor but brings in Alan Page and Joe Greene.  I can count the number of offensive linemen in NFL history who were arguably as good as Anthony Munoz on my pet fish's fingers.

Your Reggie White comparison absolutely falters when you consider that Bruce was a 3-4 DE not a 4-3 DE.  Smith's numbers are mind bottling when you consider he played DE in the 3-4.  I certainly agree that Munoz was a historical player, but it's actually an argument, not a dead certainty.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2015, 12:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This guy makes the case that Flacco has had a couple good and a couple great playoff games. Other than that, he sucked ass in about 6 of his first 7 playoff games and was carried by the team until he could get his act together. Beyond that, he owes his ring to ABolden and a safety for the Broncos completely misplaying an easy batdown/interception to close out a playoff game. Not to mention, earlier in the year, a 4th and 29 conversion that should not have been, followed by losing 4 of their last 5 before getting into the playoffs. 

He's used up all his luck early. Don't expect him to see a Conference Championship or SB for the rest of his career. 

1. Hornung
2. McNabb
3. Flacco

He'll still end his career with better numbers than McNabb and more success than him even if your hopes are fulfilled. It think it's unlikely that he won't ever go to another AFCCG. 

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2015, 09:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: I actually wouldn't argue that.  Flacco at least had success.

That, and I'm pretty sure Flacco knew a game could end in a tie when we tied Philly, it all really came as a big surprise to Donovan.
Reply/Quote
Dan Fouts over Ken Anderson?

Outrageous!
Reply/Quote