Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best potential coaching vacancies/jobs: #4 - Bengals
(12-15-2016, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that, but the Bengals shouldn't be 4th due to cheapness. The roster is better than GB and tbh, Rodgers has taken a step back over the last 2 years. I'd still have them #1, but the Bengals should be right there with them. Closer to 1A and 1B than #1 and #4.

Yeah, I already agreed with you that they should be 2nd.

Gonna disagree with the 1A and 1B though. You must not have been paying attention lately, because the last 4 games, he is...

94-133 (70.67%)
1,129 yards (8.49 YPA)
10 TD/0 INT

Bringing his season QB Rating up to 101.1, so whatever he lost there for awhile, it looks like he found it again. I like Dalton and think he's a good QB, and think Rodgers is a bit of a turd, but if Aaron Rodgers is back to being Aaron Rodgers, there's no competition there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals have actually spent over the NFL league salary cap each of the last two years.  They were able to do this because they were really cheap a few years ago and rolled over a lot of cap space, but they have been spending well the last couple of years.

fred, stop trying to sugar coat the way the Bengals sandbagged on the first couple years of the CBA, and are only now spending over the cap, because they carried that money over, and had to..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: and had to..

Can't figure out on my phone how to just bold it, so this.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If the Bengals are 4th due to "cheapness" (which I agree that Mike is cheap), then why is GB #1? They're the only team that is possibly cheaper than the Bengals. Personally, I'd list GB #1 and the Bengals #2. Dalton is a franchise QB with a good 6-7 good years left. There's prime talent on both sides of the ball. Excellent job security. A really good assortment of picks in the coming draft. No GM between coach and owner. The cheapness and the lack of a practice facility are the 2 biggest downfalls I can think of, but this team is ready made for a quick rebound and a safe job.

Of the teams ahead of the Bengals, I agree with everyone else that Luck is overrated and Irsay is an owner that could give Mike a run for his money. The Chargers are perennial underachievers and have uncertainty about where they'll be playing. GB, despite their cheapness, probably deserves the #1 slot, but Cincy should be right behind them with their roster and picks.

Aaron Rodgers as the QB and they have a history of winning Super Bowls recently.

We also haven't won a playoff game in 25+ years. Until we do that...
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For the Bengals, it's the case of overpaying for what you know vs overpaying for what you don't know. Bengals will always offer a good contract to someone they've had in their system for awhile even if they aren't deemed "worthy" of that contract. The team likely feels more comfortable in trying to get more out of that individual than taking a gamble on someone they don't know.

We'd be complaining the same way if the Bengals brought in an outside FA that under-performed.

We haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years...you'll never convince me that their free agency strategy works.

People do this every year...they look at the most insane contract and say wow look how smart the Bengals are for not offering that.

The truth of the matter is...there are A LOT of free agents that sign for reasonable contracts that could help us. Imagine if we signed a Center a few years ago?

Maybe we win a playoff game???
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 06:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Good news is we have about 60 million in free agency.

After 10million on Dre or Z
10million on stadium repairs Hobs will slyly slide into the equations like we don't know any better
10million on a injury stash (Bullock must have gotten paid, unless I'm forgetting a free agent we picked up this season)
10million on rookies
and the rollover for Boyds and Eiferts contract.
Don't expect much.

We'll have about 2 million to re-sign Peko and Hunt (on day one). Bring in the obligatory 35 yr old Lb.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 12:07 AM)jj22 Wrote: After 10million on Dre or Z
10million on stadium repairs Hobs will slyly slide into the equations like we don't know any better
10million on a injury stash (Bullock must have gotten paid, unless I'm forgetting a free agent we picked up this season)
10million on rookies
and the rollover for Boyds and Eiferts contract.
Don't expect much.

'Funds' for upcoming free agents.
Reply/Quote
Marvin will be here for next year and then probably retire. That is just some realism for all of you. Hopefully he impacts us positively for a draft and then perhaps joins Tobin in talent acquisition.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: "Cincinnati has a lower ceiling than other jobs on this list if the Bengals are hamstrung by the penurious ownership of Mike Brown, but it also has one of the highest floors."

Our roster is better than those teams...but we're a team that doesn't believe in using free agency heavily and are perceived as cheap.

I honestly believe the Chargers are viewed as cheaper
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For the Bengals, it's the case of overpaying for what you know vs overpaying for what you don't know. Bengals will always offer a good contract to someone they've had in their system for awhile even if they aren't deemed "worthy" of that contract. The team likely feels more comfortable in trying to get more out of that individual than taking a gamble on someone they don't know.

We'd be complaining the same way if the Bengals brought in an outside FA that under-performed.

I wasn't complaining about it at all, just stating the fact.  If I am a NFL Free Agent that played his rookie contract as a Bengals and I am looking for my "second bite of the apple", I know that any contract I sign at Cincinnati is very likely to be honored whereas if I go elsewhere and the team takes a nose dive or if I under-perform, I might be released.  I would think this would help the Bengals to retain folks.  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 09:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I already agreed with you that they should be 2nd.

Gonna disagree with the 1A and 1B though. You must not have been paying attention lately, because the last 4 games, he is...

94-133 (70.67%)
1,129 yards (8.49 YPA)
10 TD/0 INT

Bringing his season QB Rating up to 101.1, so whatever he lost there for awhile, it looks like he found it again. I like Dalton and think he's a good QB, and think Rodgers is a bit of a turd, but if Aaron Rodgers is back to being Aaron Rodgers, there's no competition there.

Wasn't claiming Dalton = Rodgers. Like I said, I think our roster > than theirs and that at least partially makes up for the difference at QB. Maybe Rodgers is back, but personally I'll need more than 4 games to be convinced after 1.5 seasons where he hasn't looked like himself. Not saying he was awful, but he averaged somewhere around 6.7 YPA over that span with a pretty mediocre completion %. Maybe he's totally back. We'll see.

(12-16-2016, 12:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Aaron Rodgers as the QB and they have a history of winning Super Bowls recently.

We also haven't won a playoff game in 25+ years. Until we do that...

Fair enough. The Pack haven't looked like that SB team in awhile, but Rodgers is obviously a great QB, despite the down stretch. I'm not hating on them. Just feel the Bengals should be almost as attractive of a job. We've had a good enough roster to win playoff games, just haven't had the right coach.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 12:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Chargers is a better job than the Bengals?  Based on what?  The climate?

Probably based on dealing with Mike Brown versus dealing with Chargers GM Tom Telesco.

More talent on Bengals but hindered by having to deal with Mikey Brown. I can see it now:

New coach, "Mr Brown, there's this excellent center available who's good at both run and passing blocking and it will really open up our inside running game and the great news is that we can sign him."

Mikey responds, "Oh you couldn't be talking about a free agent could you? You did say sign, so I guess you must mean someone we can get late in the draft, I have this policy about Centers, 'We can get centers cheap late in the draft.' That's our policy and it's worked out so well for us that I'll never change it."

New coach, "Ah, what?"

Mikey mutters on, "I let the last coach spend two picks on the offensive line only two years ago and he assured me we were getting the two of the three best tackles in the draft. So you need to make Oggieboggie, or whatever his name is, work cause he's your new left tackle."

New coach, "Ah, well now that you mention Oggieboggie boy, he sucks and our starting QB is going to get injured if we put him on the left side. I really wanted to take a LT in the first and fill our center problems with this free agent."

Mikey grows, "We don't really sign free agents from other teams unless they're on the cheap. Now if you're worried about the securing the center position for the next 4 years I can help you with that. We're going to offer Bodine an extension."

New coach, "?$#$@Q"

Mikey grunts, "I'm glad we had that little talk. I feel like we understand each other so well. What a great family we've become. Goodbye."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:23 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Probably based on dealing with Mike Brown versus dealing with Chargers GM Tom Telesco.

More talent on Bengals but hindered by having to deal with Mikey Brown. I can see it now:

New coach, "Mr Brown, there's this excellent center available who's good at both run and passing blocking and it will really open up our inside running game and the great news is that we can sign him."

Mikey responds, "Oh you couldn't be talking about a free agent could you? You did say sign, so I guess you must mean someone we can get late in the draft, I have this policy about Centers, 'We can get centers cheap late in the draft.' That's our policy and it's worked out so well for us that I'll never change it."

New coach, "Ah, what?"

Mikey mutters on, "I let the last coach spend two picks on the offensive line only two years ago and he assured me we were getting the two of the three best tackles in the draft. So you need to make Oggieboggie, or whatever his name is, work cause he's your new left tackle."

New coach, "Ah, well now that you mention Oggieboggie boy, he sucks and our starting QB is going to get injured if we put him on the left side. I really wanted to take a LT in the first and fill our center problems with this free agent."

Mikey grows, "We don't really sign free agents from other teams unless they're on the cheap. Now if you're worried about the securing the center position for the next 4 years I can help you with that. We're going to offer Bodine an extension."

New coach, "?$#$@Q"

Mikey grunts, "I'm glad we had that little talk. I feel like we understand each other so well. What a great family we've become. Goodbye."
LOL. Sad but plausible ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 06:12 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Good news is we have about 60 million in free agency.

......that we'll overpay our aging and underperforming vets, or washed up retreads with instead of paying a couple of top notch outsiders. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 12:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......that we'll overpay our aging and underperforming vets, or washed up retreads with instead of paying a couple of top notch outsiders. :andy:

I see you have noticed a pattern..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see you have noticed a pattern..

I catch on quickly. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 12:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......that we'll overpay our aging and underperforming vets, or washed up retreads with instead of paying a couple of top notch outsiders. :andy:

Damn it all. The truth.

If they bring back Peko i am going to puke. Sick
Reply/Quote