Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best satellite player in the league
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000536987/article/giovani-bernard-leads-list-of-top-10-satellite-backs

whats your thoughts? I'm bias because ...well look at my name.
Reply/Quote
Certainly a top 3, as I have said since the get go, Gio a great complimentary back.

He's not a #1 who can take the week to week pounding of running the rock 20 plus times a game but given the ball in space and limited touches between the tackles he will continue to shine.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 09:16 AM)rungiorun25 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000536987/article/giovani-bernard-leads-list-of-top-10-satellite-backs

back in the role he was really ment for.... not saying he cant be the guy... because we have seen him have some success at that just that hes a lot more dangerous coming in fresh
Reply/Quote
No surprise to me especially after that insane play he made against the Fins in 2013. We are very lucky to have a shifty player who can make plays when given an ounce of space. The only thing I see as a weakness, but is also one of his many strengths, is his size. Other than that, Run Gio Run!
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 09:16 AM)rungiorun25 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000536987/article/giovani-bernard-leads-list-of-top-10-satellite-backs

What makes him so special, IMHO, is his versatility.  He could be a receiver if need be.  Fantastic hands and route discipline.  When the Bengals line him up in the slot or out wide (which has been more Rex this year), you can see other teams start scrambling. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My directv snow cleaning skills are pretty good too if I do say so myself.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:56 PM)type_stripe Wrote: No surprise to me especially after that insane play he made against the Fins in 2013. We are very lucky to have a shifty player who can make plays when given an ounce of space. The only thing I see as a weakness, but is also one of his many strengths, is his size. Other than that, Run Gio Run!

ah that was the best play!! I was at the Bills game two years ago when he scrambled in to the endzone with spin moves from about 20 out and also the game last year in the tie with the Panthers when he scampered for 80.

some great highlights in his young career so far!! I hope he makes one in a few weeks at the Ralph when I'm there again!
Reply/Quote
Chargers don't have an answer for Gio. All 3 games he has destroyed them (besides the costly fumble, and then disappeared 2nd half)
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 02:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Chargers don't have an answer for Gio. All 3 games he has destroyed them (besides the costly fumble, and then disappeared 2nd half)

Considering that was a playoff game i wouldn't underplay it. I'll agree he's torched them 2/3 times tho including his best performance last week
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Honestly, I've never seen a Giovani Bernard like we've seen these first 2 weeks. He looks like he can actually play RB in the NFL. Maybe not an every down back, but he is bouncing off defenders! Usually if he so much as got breathed on he would fall down. But he has most of his yards after contact right now. He's almost a completely different player when he's hard to tackle.

I would reckon that the coaching staff recognizes this, and that and Hill and Gio will be splitting a lot more time than we thought they would.
Reply/Quote
I can agree with this assessment. He's had over 1,000 scrimmage yards his first two seasons. Deadly weapon in the passing and rushing game. He's 4th in rushing this year and already has over 200 scrimmage yards.

Gio is a great weapon and will continue to be a headache for defenses.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 02:13 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Honestly, I've never seen a Giovani Bernard like we've seen these first 2 weeks. He looks like he can actually play RB in the NFL. Maybe not an every down back, but he is bouncing off defenders! Usually if he so much as got breathed on he would fall down. But he has most of his yards after contact right now. He's almost a completely different player when he's hard to tackle.

I would reckon that the coaching staff recognizes this, and that and Hill and Gio will be splitting a lot more time than we thought they would.

Yeah, he's running and playing with a ferocity that I'm not sure we've seen before. Same for Jeremy. His fumbles have been hurtful, but he still runs like a guy you don't want to try to tackle. That's what you want from a RB. Make the defense fear hitting you. Gio may never be as intimidating that way, but he's still putting licks on people that will make them think twice the next time.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

I've never heard the term satellite back before, but it's an apt term. If it were the 1950s we'd be calling them the Sputnik backs.

Bernard did great though and Jackson is using him much better than he did last year!

Also noticed the writer's comment that Andy Dalton has an embarrassment of riches on offense. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
I am a Gio fan.  When he comes in and gets the ball,  I lean in to enjoy watching him rip the defense!  We are lucky to have him.
Reply/Quote
Does someone mind telling me what a "satellite" back is? Just another term for scat back?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 01:01 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Does someone mind telling me what a "satellite" back is? Just another term for scat back?

its actually explained in the article lol. essentially, don't want to give these guys open space because they will cause you some damage.
Reply/Quote
I'm curious. Other than Bernard Scott, have we had a secondary back like this before?

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 02:10 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm curious. Other than Bernard Scott, have we had a secondary back like this before?

Esiason fan, you should know better! Ever heard of Ickey Woods and James Brooks?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 02:10 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm curious. Other than Bernard Scott, have we had a secondary back like this before?

Chris Perry maybe? He was a bust though imo.

Kenny Irons had a good shot until he got injured.

Gio Bernard is miles ahead of all of them.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 01:01 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Does someone mind telling me what a "satellite" back is? Just another term for scat back?

Satellites are in space, satellite backs, I presume the author meant backs best used in space.

My Sputnik reference was to the first man made satellite sent into orbit by the Russians in 1957 or there abouts. It was called Sputnik I. Gotta love those Russian names.

Reply/Quote