Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best use of a song in a film
Used to be that most movie soundtracks were songs written and performed just for that movie. But now lots of movies are using existing songs as the soundtrack.

Any of you think of a specific movie that made great use of an existing song to convey the emotions of the scene in the movie?

My example does not fit very well into this category because the existing song sound just like a movie soundtrack song, but it was actually music by Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays in the movie Fandango from the CD "As Falls Wichita so Falls Wichita Falls". The songs are "Its for You" and "Farmers Trust". They sound like they were made for the movie

A more traditional selection would be "No Where to Run" from The Warriors

Reply/Quote
dang I will have to think about this one its a good one.

I remember the Crow's sound track fitting the movie really well. Not sure if I could just pick 1 song as the best will have to re-watch.
Reply/Quote
I would say that all of the old traditional songs and hymns from O Brother Where Art Thou add quite a bit to the movie. I think the Big Rock Candy Mountain by Harry McClintock is the only original recording that's in the the movie. I know Alison Krause and Union Station did a lot of them.

I don't know what it is, but that sad ass sounding sax throughout​ Taxi Driver sets a pretty good mood for it too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Obviously, Footloose & O'Brother are fabulous. The Big Chill is terrific. A film that was panned, but I recently watched and enjoyed somewhat, Suicide Squad, has a pretty darn good soundtrack imo. Stand by Me is another. Would include The Lost Boys & Empire Records also.
Reply/Quote

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
You can't forget about Day Bow Bow...

Reply/Quote
Who are we kidding?  This is a Bengals website... right?!?

Fun facts : Originally Stallone wanted to use Another One Bites The Dust by Queen but couldn't get permission.  "Eye of the Tiger" was first titled "Survival" and was later changed.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:30 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Who are we kidding? This is a Bengals website... right?!?

For my money, it gets no better than When Rocky has to take a drive after Adrian tells him he "can't win" against Ivan Drago in the fourth installment.... There's No Easy Way Out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Karate Kids... Your the best around

Another rocky

Getting strong now (training montage)

His training montage in 4 is good too hearts of fire.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 08:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote:

I always thought a scene with attack helicopters rising up from behind a mountain paired with ina gotta devita would kick ass.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 09:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote:

If I go Back to the Future....I gotta go ZZ Top's "Doubleback Again" from one of the sequels.  Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Rawhide at Bob's Country Bunker in The Blues Brothers.

Reply/Quote
There is some good music in the movie Collateral...Tom Cruise and Jaime Foxx. Seems to flow well.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 03:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: Rawhide at Bob's Country Bunker in The Blues Brothers.

That was pretty good.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 08:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That was pretty good.

"The old favorite.....Rowdy Yates....what key?"

"A! Good country key!"

"Rawhide in A!"

Smirk

[video=youtube][/video]

Reply/Quote
this/..... This one was great...

Reply/Quote
Singing in the Rain-  A Clockwork Orange

I kid......I kid. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Singing in the Rain-  A Clockwork Orange

I kid......I kid. 

A little bit of the ultraviolence and the old in, out?

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 12:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Singing in the Rain-  A Clockwork Orange

I kid......I kid. 

Actually music played a VERY big part in that movie.
Reply/Quote