Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way for us to win next year-fix the running game
(01-13-2017, 08:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you want to see how he will look in the pros, with an "average" OL, just watch his games against 'Bama..

I wont base an opinion off one or two games .especially against alabama
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 11:48 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Rb at 9 and OT in the 2nd.Fix the running game.take pressure off Dalton and rest the defense.....You know bratkowski i mean zampredictable is gonna put us in 3rd and long why not go for it

A better way to support your argument at 9 and a G/C in Round 2.  Our running game struggles from the inside out.  

I would love to see Cook in Rd 1 and Pat Elflein in Rd 2.  Maybe then an additional second rounder for AJM could yield the pass rusher....Taco?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 11:58 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Im cool with it, but I would rather get Foreman in the 3rd or 4th. But who knows by then, he may be a first rounder by the time the draft rolls around. Wish we can do a package trade with McCarron and Hill or Maualuga for someones 2 and 3rd or 4th.

Not trying to be mean, but what exactly do you think another team would offer for Hill and/or Maualuga?  I can't see them being worth anything.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 12:03 AM)jason Wrote: We're he drafted by the Bengals, Zeke Elliot wouldn't have had the year he just did. I don't like our running game either, but I think depth chart is more to blame than personnel. I don't want any offensive player at 9 but Williams. They should go stud DE in the first. O line should be fixed in free agency. It won't, but it should. If they do go RB, I'd prefer the dude at FSU

I am with you about Cook, from FSU, but I am not so sure Zeke couldn't have had the same impact here, or even a greater one. 

He would open up so many matchups for the TEs and WRs down the field.  The Bengals weapons outside of a guy like Zeke actually compare very favorable with the Cowboys.  He is a transcendent player, and would have made a tremendous impact here.  Look at what Sexy did with no AJ and no Eifert on the field with just his abilities and no Ced on the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 12:14 AM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: You should start getting over burkhead now.Hes gone and never coming back unless hes playing an away game.we will not pay him u can book that.

Nobody puts Sexy in a corner...or doesn't re-sign him.   LMAO
Reply/Quote
Dalvin Cook RB Florida State then in the 3rd round John Toth C Kentucky
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm fine with taking Fournette or Cook at 9 and fixing the o-line via FA, although I seriously doubt it plays out like that. Would also like Hooker, but didn't they just give a good contract to Shaun Williams? So...hard to see that happening.

At this point I'd bet my money on the Bengals taking either a pass rusher or a tackle at #9. It's a lazy, cheap and conservative approach, but that's exactly how the Bengals roll.

I don't know, as I don't remember them going after a pass rusher high in the first round (or in the first round at all) since Justin Smith.  Dunlap was a fairly high second rounder, and is a huge part of our team.

Teams that run a 4-3 defense rely on the talent on that front four, whereas the 3-4 teams rely more on their outside rusher and their LBs to make plays.  The Bengals have tried a number of third rounders to "fill the hole" at RDE, but they haven't had a talent there at some time.  MJ has been solid, nothing more, and has appeared to really decline of late.

I think the pass rushing RDE is probably the smart play given this draft class and talent available.  Though if I am completely honest with myself, after watching Sexy, Hill, and knowing about Gio's injury, I am really warming up to the idea of Dalvin Cook.  The defense showed itself to be pretty good again down the stretch, and they are getting what is essentially two really good "draft picks" next year in WJIII and Billings (not to forget Hardison as well).  The offense really needs options outside AJ and Eifert, and the running game makes the most sense.  Cook is a freak and I love what he could do to this offense.  I actually have him ranked above Barnett and only behind Garrett and Allen.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 04:44 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nobody puts Sexy in a corner...or doesn't re-sign him.   LMAO

Except the bengals
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 04:54 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know, as I don't remember them going after a pass rusher high in the first round (or in the first round at all) since Justin Smith.  Dunlap was a fairly high second rounder, and is a huge part of our team.

Teams that run a 4-3 defense rely on the talent on that front four, whereas the 3-4 teams rely more on their outside rusher and their LBs to make plays.  The Bengals have tried a number of third rounders to "fill the hole" at RDE, but they haven't had a talent there at some time.  MJ has been solid, nothing more, and has appeared to really decline of late.

I think the pass rushing RDE is probably the smart play given this draft class and talent available.  Though if I am completely honest with myself, after watching Sexy, Hill, and knowing about Gio's injury, I am really warming up to the idea of Dalvin Cook.  The defense showed itself to be pretty good again down the stretch, and they are getting what is essentially two really good "draft picks" next year in WJIII and Billings (not to forget Hardison as well).  The offense really needs options outside AJ and Eifert, and the running game makes the most sense.  Cook is a freak and I love what he could do to this offense.  I actually have him ranked above Barnett and only behind Garrett and Allen.  
I Think a rb would have the biggest impact at 9.
.i would argue our offense was more of a liability than our defense was this year
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 05:10 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I Think a rb would have the biggest impact at 9.
.i would argue our offense was more of a liability than our defense was this year

It is funny how in another thread I think I just convinced myself of the same thing.  Maybe with AJM yielding a decently high second rounder, that pick becomes the RDE and the offense gets a boost with Cook in the first and Eiflein in the second (with our original 2nd).  

If you look at how the defense finished the year, the (hopeful) arrival of WJIII, Hardison, and Billings, it is almost like the defense already got three draft picks...and fairly high ones.

The offense could make tremendous strides with picks like Cook and Eiflein or even Feeney, the beast of a guard from Indiana.  

One thing is for sure...with 11 draft picks and maybe more with AJM out there, the Bengals roster will have significant competition at nearly every position, something that was missing this past year.  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 04:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to be mean, but what exactly do you think another team would offer for Hill and/or Maualuga?  I can't see them being worth anything.  

I think we would be lucky to get a 6th conditional out of either of them at this point.Maualuga is a one down lb at this point ,really no trade value.The only value Hill offers is being a TD vulture and is relatively young.Problem is that young td vultures can be had undrafted 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 04:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not trying to be mean, but what exactly do you think another team would offer for Hill and/or Maualuga?  I can't see them being worth anything.  

If i were the GM, i'd offer a hearty laugh.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I am not a huge fan of taking a RB at 9. I don't know what it is. It just makes me worry. We will only get a top 10 pick once every 5 to 10 years (ideally), so taking a RB in that year really feels like a waste.

An elite RB will last maybe 5 years. 7 or 8 if you're really really lucky.

An elite DE or WR, on the other hand, will last 10 years easy, and up to 15 years.

You can get an exceptional RB outside of the first round pretty easily. The other positions, it's a lot harder to come by outside of the top few rounds.

I know it's not logical and there are RBs worth a top 10 pick. But it's just scary. Especially since RBs are SO dependent on their Oline. A great RB will be rendered useless is running behind a bad line. However, a great Oline can make a bad RB look very good.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 11:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am not a huge fan of taking a RB at 9. I don't know what it is. It just makes me worry. We will only get a top 10 pick once every 5 to 10 years (ideally), so taking a RB in that year really feels like a waste.

An elite RB will last maybe 5 years. 7 or 8 if you're really really lucky.

An elite DE or WR, on the other hand, will last 10 years easy, and up to 15 years.

You can get an exceptional RB outside of the first round pretty easily. The other positions, it's a lot harder to come by outside of the top few rounds.

I know it's not logical and there are RBs worth a top 10 pick. But it's just scary. Especially since RBs are SO dependent on their Oline. A great RB will be rendered useless is running behind a bad line. However, a great Oline can make a bad RB look very good.

Says the guy with jeremy hill dancing as his avatar
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2017, 11:36 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Says the guy with jeremy hill dancing as his avatar

Not a very productive response. 

Also holds absolutely no bearing to the conversation.

I see you posting a lot about the draft so I was hoping maybe you'd actually be interested in defending your opinion about a RB at number 9.

Especially considering the recent devaluation of RBs in the draft (that was very briefly offset by Zeke).

But, oh well.

I didn't expect to be convinced anyway. There is so little reason to actually do it.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 12:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Not a very productive response. 

Also holds absolutely no bearing to the conversation.

I see you posting a lot about the draft so I was hoping maybe you'd actually be interested in defending your opinion about a RB at number 9.

Especially considering the recent devaluation of RBs in the draft (that was very briefly offset by Zeke).

But, oh well.

I didn't expect to be convinced anyway. There is so little reason to actually do it.
Theres not alot i need to say to back up my argument,the stats do that for me.As for convincing you i could care less.If you were making personnel decisions it would be different.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 11:48 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Rb at 9 and OT in the 2nd.Fix the running game.take pressure off Dalton and rest the defense.....You know bratkowski i mean zampredictable is gonna put us in 3rd and long why not go for it

Who exactly is going to block for this highly drafted RB? Without fixing the OL he'll just be hit behind the line on half his runs.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 03:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Who exactly is going to block for this highly drafted RB? Without fixing the OL he'll just be hit behind the line on half his runs.

A good rb can make his line look great(see bulkhead). Not a fan as stated before of taking rb in first but the only rb I can see that would be worthy would be cook. Other than that I would draft center and take a great running back in 4th or 5th.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 03:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Who exactly is going to block for this highly drafted RB? Without fixing the OL he'll just be hit behind the line on half his runs.

There is 2 all pro caliber rb in this draft..We need one of them period.oline will be fine,we were just one dimensional and predictable.a home run hitter rb can open up the pass game with just a few runs or vice versa
Reply/Quote
My thoughts:

Select a RB in Round 1, unless we think Fournette/Cook slip into the 2nd round.

The next 2 rounds should be OL guys. The Cowboys have built the success of Elliot/Prescott on the basics... stud OL that can protect and make holes for them.
Reply/Quote