Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bet Bengals
I'm betting everything that the sun rises in the east tomorrow. I'll lose because it won't happen. The earth will spin and only make it appear that the sun is rising..
If you want a really safe bet bet that the Chicago river will flow the wrong direction and flood lots of basements in the city with lots of raw sewage.. You can't lose!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 09:12 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: They AFC Championship and Super Bowl may be a sucker bet it brings excitement to the season.

Our two AFC Championships came following 4 and 6 win seasons.

We made the playoffs in 2011 when we were picked to be the worst team in the league.

And as bad as we all feel about this last 5 year stretch remember that when the Cards went to the Super Bowl in '08 they had not had a winning season in 10 years.  In fact the Cardinals franchise was even worse than the Paul Brown Jr. Bengals.  They had only had one winning season in TWENTY-FOUR YEARS (1984-2008).

I am not putting any money on this years team, but anything can happen.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 08:10 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Finally took the time to bet on Bengals.

500 - Bengals over 6.5 +115 = 575
200 - Bengals win Division 2000 = 4000
100 - Bengals win Conference 5000 = 5000
200 - Bengals win Super Bowl 10000 = 20000
All told $1000 bet with chance to win $30,575

As long as they win 7 games I will win $75.00 all told.

Go Bengals!

Anybody else betting on Bengals?

I did a bunch of smaller ones, with longshot odds.  Like the win the AFC.  If they make the playoffs, you start hedging the bet against yourself and end up making a nice pile of cash.  Also did a couple fun ones like Burrow to win Comeback Player of the Year. 

I think Prescott getting near even odds for that award is a function of Vegas trying to balance out so man Cowboy fans betting on their guy.  I guess Dallas has a lot of historical trends of overbetting their team.

That is why I think your best bet is the over 6.5 games.  Not forgetting there are also 17 games this year, but the very dismissive nature of all the talking heads and National opinion of how they approached the draft, etc, I think there are a lot of individuals betting the under and that pulls that number down, making it the best bet on the board.  Smart approach to go heavier on that one and just have fun (or hedge) watching the others play out!

NOTE:  I also made a thread about ZT getting 66-1 odds for Coach of the year.  

Good luck!
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 08:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But...if you're betting $1000, and you win $75...you don't really win $75.  Nervous

Risking $1000, gets his $500 risked back plus the winnings of the bet ($575), thus he ends the season with a net of $75 gain if that is his only win.  
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 08:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I usually hate betting on my team.  However, in 2011, the Bengals weren't supposed to win a single game.  The odds of them winning the Super Bowl at the start of the preseason (because no OTAs, and the roster only really had the rookie Dalton as the QB) were 1000-1.  I didn't have a ton on it, but when they made the playoffs, I bet heavy the other way (figuring I would still come out way ahead if I had to do the same thing each week up to the Super Bowl, but I made a VERY nice chunk that day.  

And last year, I did a parlay risking something like $25 on the Bengals and Jets to win that week of the steeler game.  Paid out over $800.  Not kidding.  

FWIW, I usually kill the college games and give the money right back on the NFL.  I start each season with around $300-$500 in an account and if I lose it, I don't reload, so I don't start betting more than $25 a game.  Sometimes I have emptied the account in a month.  Sometimes I net out really well.  I think best year ever was several thousand dollars.

Biggest sure-thing bet ever?  I had head they were going to start Akili Smith against the Super Bowl-caliber Buccaneers, and the betting line was Bucs -9 because "Tampa had never won a game below 32 degrees" of something stupid like that.  I had run up my $300 to around $1200 and put the entire thing on the Bucs to cover the spread.  Paid for next year's tickets.  
Reply/Quote
OP Should make 1 more bet. Joe Burrow to win MVP decent odds on that as well. It's pretty much a given if Bengals are successful this season Burrow will more than likely win MVP
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 09:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think the math works out like this...  He gets backs his initial bet of $500 and then $115 for each $100 spent.  So intial $500 bet + $575 in winnings = $1075 total. 

Regardless, I hope he's rich.  Betting on the Bengals is not a sound investment.  In the last 5 years they've hit the under every single time.

60% of the time, it works every time...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=16252408]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 03:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that would be the point if you said fans should not bet on ANY team.  

But you were just talking about the Bengals.  And the Bengals look like a 50/50 bet over the last ten years.  And if Vegas is good at setting the line that should work out to be the average for every team in the league.

This is going to probably generate a lot of hate on here, but there have been several instances where the steelers weren't favored and I bet on them to win.  And I WANTED TO LOSE.  The only way I was remotely happy was I made money on it.  I know, that is sick and I need help.  I hate them that much.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 05:40 AM)Amalone002 Wrote: I'm with you my man.  I'll be betting before the season starts And feel will win at least 9 games and maybe a playoff game or 2 but would put my money on burrow winning us a chip also.
Have to bet now because I feel with our schedule will be 4-0 to start so odds will go down.

If the Bengals win one or two playoff games, the bet is ZT for Coach of the Year, at 66-1.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Our two AFC Championships came following 4 and 6 win seasons.

We made the playoffs in 2011 when we were picked to be the worst team in the league.

And as bad as we all fell about this last 5 year stretch remember that when the Cards went to the Super Bowl in '08 they had not had a winning season in 10 years.  In fact the Cardinals franchise was even worse than the Paul Brown Jr. Bengals.  They had only had one winning season in TWENTY-FOUR YEARS (1984-2008).

And what really made that Cards team?  One Kurt Warner.  That man is a legend to me.  Took two of the losingest franchises ever to Super Bowls and won one.  Should have had another (f'n steelers).  

That is why I am so bullish on this Bengals team.  Joe Burrow in year two with in-face meetings, and more practice time.  I don't care about the injury.  Adrian Peterson had one of his best seasons ever after an ACL repair and that dude is a RB!  I know, the injuries aren't the same, but the way Burrow approaches everything...I think he will be stronger and better than ever.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Our two AFC Championships came following 4 and 6 win seasons.

And as bad as we all feel about this last 5 year stretch remember that when the Cards went to the Super Bowl in '08 they had not had a winning season in 10 years.  In fact the Cardinals franchise was even worse than the Paul Brown Jr. Bengals.  They had only had one winning season in TWENTY-FOUR YEARS (1984-2008).

Meanwhile, many of the team's 4 and 6 win seasons were followed by equally bad ones.

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 08:10 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Finally took the time to bet on Bengals.

500 - Bengals over 6.5 +115 = 575
200 - Bengals win Division 2000 = 4000
100 - Bengals win Conference 5000 = 5000
200 - Bengals win Super Bowl 10000 = 20000
All told $1000 bet with chance to win $30,575

As long as they win 7 games I will win $75.00 all told.

Go Bengals!

Anybody else betting on Bengals?

One can win $575 (115% profit) on a $500 bet if the Bengals can manage a meager 7 wins in a 17 game season?

My, how the bar has fallen from just a few years ago.

Reply/Quote

Well put.

You are right about the Bengals have gone from worst to first before.

I believe in ZT this is not a hard bet. If you don't believe in him then the under should be an easy bet.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2021, 10:42 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I have watched the Bengals/Browns game multiple times and feel like we are as good if not better than they are.

So the Bengals won 4 games to the Browns' 11, they swept us in 2020, and they won a playoff game on the road but we are better than them and you still like Zac Taylor?  I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking.  In my mind if you say a 4 win team is better than an 11 win team you have to follow that up by saying that the HC is a moron who completely blew the season.

Even if Burrow doesn't get injured in DC and we win all 7 games in a row after that we still end up 4 wins shy of the Browns.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So the Bengals won 4 games to the Browns' 11, they swept us in 2020, and they won a playoff game on the road but we are better than them and you still like Zac Taylor?  I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking.  In my mind if you say a 4 win team is better than an 11 win team you have to follow that up by saying that the HC is a moron who completely blew the season.

Even if Burrow doesn't get injured in DC and we win all 7 games in a row after that we still end up 4 wins shy of the Browns.  

Bengals were in year 2 of a big rebuild. Because of injuries our coaches in some instances were playing players they just signed and in both games we still almost beat the Browns. Football is not all about talent alone. NFL players are all really talented players. Some players ability fits better in not only the rights scheme but also the right coaching. Apparently Turner's style of coaching did not mesh with the players he was coaching. Hopefully Pollack's style is more accepted and yields better results. Anarumo was coaching some guys who did not fit his system as well. The old square peg round hole adage. This year there should be no excuses for ZT and Anarumo and I am betting we will see very competitive football. I see us 5-1 in our division with the only loss coming at Baltimore. I know you will think that is crazy but as of right now I am not right or wrong. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 03:13 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Bengals were in year 2 of a big rebuild. Because of injuries our coaches in some instances were playing players they just signed and in both games we still almost beat the Browns. Football is not all about talent alone. NFL players are all really talented players. Some players ability fits better in not only the rights scheme but also the right coaching. Apparently Turner's style of coaching did not mesh with the players he was coaching. Hopefully Pollack's style is more accepted and yields better results. Anarumo was coaching some guys who did not fit his system as well. The old square peg round hole adage. This year there should be no excuses for ZT and Anarumo and I am betting we will see very competitive football. I see us 5-1 in our division with the only loss coming at Baltimore. I know you will think that is crazy but as of right now I am not right or wrong. Time will tell.

The difference between good teams and bad teams is that the good teams win games that they almost lose... Making a crucial play at a crucial moment. The bad teams lose games that they had a chance to win..
The former example could be seen in the second Browns game. The latter example was basically every game the Bengals lost in 2020... Minus the thrashings we took from Baltimore.

Pains me to say it, but the Browns are better than the Bengals, and it isn't particularly close either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 03:13 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Bengals were in year 2 of a big rebuild. Because of injuries our coaches in some instances were playing players they just signed and in both games we still almost beat the Browns. Football is not all about talent alone. NFL players are all really talented players. Some players ability fits better in not only the rights scheme but also the right coaching. Apparently Turner's style of coaching did not mesh with the players he was coaching. Hopefully Pollack's style is more accepted and yields better results. Anarumo was coaching some guys who did not fit his system as well. The old square peg round hole adage. This year there should be no excuses for ZT and Anarumo and I am betting we will see very competitive football. I see us 5-1 in our division with the only loss coming at Baltimore. I know you will think that is crazy but as of right now I am not right or wrong. Time will tell.

I'm not addressing your optimism for 2021, I'm more interested in why you think a 4-win team in a "big rebuild" was better than an 11-win team, that's all.  I wouldn't check myself into a nuthouse if the Bengals made the playoffs this year, but again I'm more interested in your perceptions of 202 at the moment.

The way I see it, the Browns had a talented team in 2019 and they hired a dolt as HC and he played a big part in their underachievement and losing season and they replaced him and became 5 wins better the next season.  I think it's pretty not crazy that we are rolling into 2022 over the moon about what this ultra-talented team can do with a HC that isn't ZT.  

I get the optimism, but your response blames Turner's scheme, but you blame circumstances for the failures or Anarumo and ZT.  It's  just that standard "the guys who are still here are good and the guys who are the reason we lost are gone" sort of thing.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 03:30 PM)jason Wrote: The difference between good teams and bad teams is that the good teams win games that they almost lose... Making a crucial play at a crucial moment. The bad teams lose games that they had a chance to win..
The former example could be seen in the second Browns game. The latter example was basically every game the Bengals lost in 2020... Minus the thrashings we took from Baltimore.

Pains me to say it, but the Browns are better than the Bengals, and it isn't particularly close either.

This was particularly obvious in 2010 when we lost a bunch of close games and the Packers won a bunch of close games.  We went 4-12 and wanted to blow up the entire team and they won the SB.  Plus, counting close games makes us look like dolts for passing on Herbert, because as a rookie he won 6 games and then lost 5 close games...so you can squint and say he was 11-4 as a rookie.  Oof. 
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 03:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This was particularly obvious in 2010 when we lost a bunch of close games and the Packers won a bunch of close games.  We went 4-12 and wanted to blow up the entire team and they won the SB.  Plus, counting close games makes us look like dolts for passing on Herbert, because as a rookie he won 6 games and then lost 5 close games...so you can squint and say he was 11-4 as a rookie.  Oof. 

I do believe Green Bay had 15 guys on IR or something crazy that year too. But you know.... Injuries.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 03:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not addressing your optimism for 2021, I'm more interested in why you think a 4-win team in a "big rebuild" was better than an 11-win team, that's all.  I wouldn't check myself into a nuthouse if the Bengals made the playoffs this year, but again I'm more interested in your perceptions of 202 at the moment.

The way I see it, the Browns had a talented team in 2019 and they hired a dolt as HC and he played a big part in their underachievement and losing season and they replaced him and became 5 wins better the next season.  I think it's pretty not crazy that we are rolling into 2022 over the moon about what this ultra-talented team can do with a HC that isn't ZT.  

I get the optimism, but your response blames Turner's scheme, but you blame circumstances for the failures or Anarumo and ZT.  It's  just that standard "the guys who are still here are good and the guys who are the reason we lost are gone" sort of thing.  

I blame Turners scheme because players on the line underperformed or did not develop from previous years. Price played better under Pollack and so did Hopkins. I think Jonah Williams did not develop under Turner the way we had all hoped he would. It is true that maybe Turners failure may be caused by injuries and having Zone blocking technique players when his scheme may have been more suited to man to man power blocking. I do give Anarumo a pass for not only injuries but he also had players who did not like what were expected of them in his defense. They are now gone and that is why I think this years defense will be much better.
Reply/Quote